Gransnet forums

News & politics

What is wrong with John Lewis?

(234 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 29-Apr-21 07:50:18

Carrie Symonds was reportedly appalled at the “John Lewis nightmare” after Theresa May moved out. I have seen pictures of May in the flat and I think it looks absolutely fine. Very British in taste as you would expect.

I nearly always shop in John Lewis for stuff, so do I assume my taste is a nightmare?

Apparently John Betjamin that very British poet remarked that when the end of the world came, he hoped to be in a John Lewis store as nothing unpleasant can ever happen there.

Perhaps that it the point - it is all so bland and British that it becomes a nightmare of boredom?

Callistemon Mon 03-May-21 19:21:45

What is wrong with John Lewis?

and came with 5yrs guarantee.
Just as well it didn't go wrong, Oldbat because the guarantee is hardly worth the paper it's written on.

Perhaps Carrie has a point!

Oldbat1 Mon 03-May-21 19:10:49

Daughter loves John Lewis but I find it expensive. Mind you I did buy a washing machine from them branded JL and it is 10yrs old now and still going strong. It was in the sale and came with 5yrs guarantee.

M0nica Mon 03-May-21 19:00:27

vegansrock grin

vegansrock Mon 03-May-21 04:26:02

When you think about it - it’s appropriate that Johnson’s flat is done up like a tart’s boudoir.

FarawayGran Mon 03-May-21 03:11:50

Ah, Grammaretto! You have brought joy into my life.
I was very upset when that woman (forgotten her name) said she was going to destroy the haberdashery section in Edinburgh's JL. There is nothing like it - anywhere!
I am delighted to see that they have changed their mind.
Now that we can get out and about having had our jabs/jags I shall be back ASAP
As far as the original post, I agree that the MPs should be allocated flats. Furnished from JL of course

Bernthefern Sun 02-May-21 21:17:05

The only problem with John Lewis is that it’s not exclusive or expensive enough for Carrie Antoinette, as another contributor accurately dubbed her. Doubt that Boris gives a damn, judging by his own dishevelled appearance.

Bernthefern Sun 02-May-21 21:10:36

Love it, Carrie Antoinette. Sums it up perfectly.

Whatdayisit Sun 02-May-21 11:30:40

Reasons Labour will not win a GE again
SNP in Scotland have took the Labour seats .
Boundary changes in 2010 putting tories in former safe Labour seat eg Outwood and Morley and even the former Hemsworth constituency incorporates some of the most expensive streets in West Yorkshire.
Rightwing/Murdoch media.
Former 'working class' voters are more inclined to vote for their own aspiring interests such as lower tax and things like what BoJo has done with his decor does not bother them because it doesn't affect them.
Kier Starmer is showing himself to be a pretty weak and ineffective leader.
It comes to something when people looked to Piers Morgan more than the leader of the opposition to hold the Government to account in a pandemic.

Galaxy Sun 02-May-21 11:16:26

I am fed up with it too Pippa. That's why I want labour to win. I think the way to do that is to look at the Biden campaign rather than the Clinton campaig for example. And yes I know USA is very different to here.

Galaxy Sun 02-May-21 11:13:59

Sorry managed to miss all this. I was referring to the tweet that Pippa posted calling Tory voters weapon grade Thickos. How to win hearts and minds, not. In order for labour to win an election some of those thickos need to vote labour, then wow as if by magic they become good people do they?
Just to clarify I have voted labour (with one embarrassing diversion into lib dem territory) all my life.

Alegrias1 Sun 02-May-21 10:16:37

Who told the Tory supporters they are thick? The original tweeter.

Who is talking it personally because they think I was getting at them....?

The perils of posting on online forums. Time for a cuppa.

PippaZ Sun 02-May-21 10:13:42

Obviously, it felt like it was at the time Alegrias. Equally:

Telling people they are thick is not a good election strategy if you want to address their concerns and win them over.

Could be seen as fairly condescending. Time to get off the computer I expect.

Alegrias1 Sun 02-May-21 10:09:25

Just for you, I will repeat....

Was that really necessary?

Anyway, back to the cushions.....

PippaZ Sun 02-May-21 10:08:27

PippaZ Sun 02-May-21 08:08:40 Maizie. I did say it was a bit harsh. Apparently, I am the only one not allowed to be fed up with all this. Hey-ho.

PippaZ Sun 02-May-21 10:05:48

Do you know Alegrais, I generally like your posts and think you add to the thread but today I feel cross with all politicians even the online warriors (probably including myself) because I just don't believe we deserve this and we go round and round in circles but nothing changes.

Of course, it will change eventually, everything does, but I am beginning to see why the suffragettes took up positive action.

MaizieD Sun 02-May-21 10:04:32

Alegrias1

I wasn't aiming it at you PippaZ, I was aiming it at the writer of the tweet.

You feel you have to explain wallpaper-gate to me but if you took some time to read any of my posts, and not jump to conclusions that tribal politics is the only option, you would have seen that I am quite aware of the real issues around the payment for the decoration of the number 11 flat and don't have to have it explained to me. Not a Tory supporter, nor a Labour supporter, you might be interested to learn.

So before assuming that you are educating the masses (i.e. me) in a condescending manner, try to understand people's views and opinions better.

I think there' a bit of misunderstanding going on here. It would be helpful if we knew what Galaxy was responding to with this:

That tweet is one example of why we have a Tory majority.

I'll be blowed if I know which post it was... hmm

Alegrias1 Sun 02-May-21 09:53:57

I wasn't aiming it at you PippaZ, I was aiming it at the writer of the tweet.

You feel you have to explain wallpaper-gate to me but if you took some time to read any of my posts, and not jump to conclusions that tribal politics is the only option, you would have seen that I am quite aware of the real issues around the payment for the decoration of the number 11 flat and don't have to have it explained to me. Not a Tory supporter, nor a Labour supporter, you might be interested to learn.

So before assuming that you are educating the masses (i.e. me) in a condescending manner, try to understand people's views and opinions better.

Harris27 Sun 02-May-21 09:48:07

I live this thread. Did anyone see the picture of keir starmer in John Lewis looking at the wallpaper strategically placed one thinks! Definitely a prized photo shoot sorry keir too obvious!

PippaZ Sun 02-May-21 09:43:23

Alegrias1

Telling people they are thick is not a good election strategy if you want to address their concerns and win them over.

I don't Alegrias1. Why would I? They won't change their minds. All this poor me stuff is coming from the "Greed is Good" generation of right-wingers. They are not going to change but they telling them they are annoyingly perverse - that seems okay to me.

Just for you, I will repeat - it is not about John Lewis or the cost of wallpaper it's about possible fraud. You don't have to be a Labour Party persuader to object to that.

It wasn't my tweet by the way. It was in reaction to a Tory saying Starmer was "playing politics" by being photographed in John Lewis with a roll of wallpaper.

Alegrias1 Sun 02-May-21 09:19:03

PippaZ Sun 02-May-21 09:03:33

Galaxy

I know some like to think they don't vote for anything other than British National Tory because they are so hard done by but that's not the reason is it? Basically, they agree with the move to the hard right or they wouldn't be voting for them.

Galaxy Sun 02-May-21 08:25:40

PippaZ Sun 02-May-21 08:10:46

Nothing wrong with John Lewis at all. We can be grateful that he hasn't Trumps money or we would be looking at gold everywhere in that nice old building.

PippaZ Sun 02-May-21 08:08:40

Saetana

New PMs get £30,000 towards refurbishing their flat - let's face it, we don't all have the same taste. Anything above that has to be funded personally. And, by the way, apparently Cherie Blair spent well over £100,000 refurbishing when Tony was in office. Its down to Boris if he allows his fiancee to spend that kind of money - no accounting for taste either!

This tweet is harsh but I do see why people are getting fed up. This is not about the curtains or the wallpaper it about the fraud; it's about the "bung".

farmgran Sun 02-May-21 07:36:22

Thankyou for the article about Loulou Lytle. Its inspired me to cheer up my sitting room which is a bit brown and manly to suit the late Mr F. I wouldn't want it too fussy but a bit more feminine would be nice.
From the distance of N Z I don't have an opinion on Boris's decor!