Gransnet forums

News & politics

Just as I suspected, Cameron isn't actually very smart

(11 Posts)
Dinahmo Thu 29-Apr-21 18:48:59

One of my clients had a tax return checked. Not one I prepared. I reviewed the data, made a few small changes to his tax return, (about £350) refiled it and sent the info requested to HMRC. His income was below the PA in any event so my changes made no difference. He had a non taxable pension because of injuries sustained at work. I spent more than 10 hours checking absolutely everything and producing several spreadsheets to back up my conclusions. I asked the Inspector why the review and was told it was because he hadn't responded to a letter from them. Sent to his previous address where he had lived with his now ex wife. HMRC already knew about his pension because it had been queried in the past. Guess what - after all that nothing wrong with his (amended) return.

So, no they don't know everything.

Back in the 80s I worked for one of the top 3 firms in the UK. We had a dedicated tax inspector allocated to us. Now it's very difficult to speak to anyone at the tax offices who knows anything.

There is a lack of resources but they are directing the resources that they do have to the small people and not the larger companies. Apparently Foxtons got a few million from the state during the lockdowns and have just paid their chairman a large bonus.

Meanwhile, HMRC are now looking at recipients of the SEISS grants to see if they have made a fraudulent claim. This includes people who stated on their application that they thought their business would suffer. I'd like to know how, back when the first claims were made, people were expected to know if it would actually suffer. In any event they have to pay income tax and Class 4 NIC on the grants.

varian Thu 29-Apr-21 18:40:44

Is it the lack of resources or the lack of political will?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 29-Apr-21 15:45:39

Dinahmo

GillT57 HMRC won't be interested. They are far more concerned with chasing the small people/businesses for unpaid taxes, caused either by errors or omissions. It's much easier for them to do that that rather than tackle the experts that Cameron could afford to hire.

I think you will find that it is lack of resources, not interest.

They know who needs investigating, it is lack of resources that is the issue

Urmstongran Thu 29-Apr-21 15:24:33

Dinahmo

GillT57 HMRC won't be interested. They are far more concerned with chasing the small people/businesses for unpaid taxes, caused either by errors or omissions. It's much easier for them to do that that rather than tackle the experts that Cameron could afford to hire.

Probably true Dinahmo. I know of a few small businesses around here who take cash for an appointment (no till receipt) one is a tattooist and two are small hairdressers. Some payments go ‘through the till’ but not all. No trace = no tax I assume!

GillT57 Thu 29-Apr-21 14:59:55

keepingquiet

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.

That's exactly how I describe him. and yes, Dinamho, HMRC do chase small business people, I was one myself up until a few years back and when I asked if I could pay my Corporation Tax in 2 instalments, due to cash flow issues, I was told to borrow the money and that interest would be charged. Shortly after this helpful conversation I read that The Savoy hotel did not pay Corporation Tax [shock}

Aveline Thu 29-Apr-21 13:27:49

I never thought he was very bright

keepingquiet Thu 29-Apr-21 12:59:53

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.

Dinahmo Thu 29-Apr-21 12:25:58

GillT57 Thu 29-Apr-21 11:17:29

Yes probably! He is rather stuck between a rock and a hard place though. What a pity

Whitewavemark2 Thu 29-Apr-21 10:50:32

His status will go with however the tax payer can be fleeced the most along with the rest of the Tory party.

GillT57 Thu 29-Apr-21 10:38:11

As I understand it, the main defence in the lobbying scandal is that DC was an employee of Greensill, although that has not yet been confirmed of course. As an employee, lobbying would not be illegal. However, according to Private Eye, DC made regular use of the company jet, namely to Newquay (he has a second home there). So, if he is an employee, that is a massive benefit in kind and one which will interest HMRC . So, no shares, and a massive tax bill. I wonder which way his employment status will go.