Gransnet forums

News & politics

Nightmare for Cornwall

(189 Posts)
MawBe Thu 10-Jun-21 08:24:59

As if the losses to the hospitality industry weren’t enough to cope with and lockdown has meant “staycations” if you are lucky enough to get a break at all, pity the poor residents of this corner of Cornwall.
A “ring of steel” has been thrown around Cornwall for the G7 summit, with the Royal Navy watching for threats from the air, including drones, as 11,000 police officers and 150 sniffer dogs attempt to protect world leaders.
With the three-day meeting in Carbis Bay starting tomorrow, Devon and Cornwall Police have called in wide-ranging support from the Ministry of Defence.
Naval vessels, aircraft, sniffer dogs, logistics support facilities and bomb disposal teams will all be on standby.
My neighbour (and friend’s) son has been sent down for the duration as he is in charge of the Paramedic/Ambulance services and is not looking forward to it one bit.
They’ll be ready for a holiday when it is over.

JaneJudge Thu 10-Jun-21 10:31:13

Discussing Climate Change and Boris takes a plane down there

and the excuse was he had to as he had to be there to meet Biden, who was in Suffolk

Greeneyedgirl Thu 10-Jun-21 10:34:11

We’re in Devon at the moment and the weather isn’t playing ball to “showcase Cornwall”, cloudy and humid.
We usually go to Cornwall to the Newlyn area twice a year, and have decided to give it a miss this year as it will be much busier than usual. I do hope small businesses and locals do benefit from any increased trade, but from what I have seen, locals can be quite disadvantaged by the popularity of Cornwall as a holiday destination. St Ives in particular has so many second home owners, who either let their property or are absent for most of the year, making house prices out of the reach of many locals.

Ashcombe Thu 10-Jun-21 10:34:38

JenniferEccles

On the plus side though the G7 summit will showcase Cornwall to the whole world won’t it?

Cornwall is one of the poorest counties in the country, relying heavily on its tourist industry so a few days disruption is nothing compared with the future potential benefits.

It’s a case of looking at the long term prospects.

Tourism is important but Cornwall also produces crops which growers are struggling to harvest as many of the usual workers have returned to their homes in the EU. Also, it is feeling the loss of the EU subsidies it once enjoyed, too.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 10-Jun-21 10:35:01

JaneJudge

^Discussing Climate Change and Boris takes a plane down there^

and the excuse was he had to as he had to be there to meet Biden, who was in Suffolk

Another lie

Ellianne Thu 10-Jun-21 10:37:57

Good post 25Avalon and spot on with your knowledge of contingencies in place.
One of our sons works for MoD, he can't say much but if the G7 had been in London there would have been more spent on security as a location.
The disruption to a small area of Cornwall is minimal.
I don't think the hospital in Truro will be the first port of call unless you are Samantha Cameron giving birth! Air ambulances take serious casualties to Derriford and to Bristol in normal times anyway.
Cornwall is a seasonal destination Deeda so the area needs to be showcased for the other 8 or 9 months of the year where life goes on without tourism. A few days disruption and inconvenience will soon be over and will bring longer term prosperity.

JaneJudge Thu 10-Jun-21 10:39:48

Yes, you will have to add it to other thread WW2

Ellianne Thu 10-Jun-21 10:45:22

Devon and Cornwall Police are well prepared!!

You have to be joking.

That is a very unfair comment Oopsadaisy. Do you work for the Devon and Cornwall constabulary by chance? If not, I can find many who are proud of their force and who can enlighten you.

muse Thu 10-Jun-21 10:46:05

A30 is not closing. It’s the bridges over the road are being shut.

“Three towns will receive £65m in funding to create a "fitting legacy" of the G7 summit in Cornwall, Prime Minister Boris Johnson has announced. The money given to Penzance, St Ives and Camborne for local projects comes from the government's Towns Fund.”

I wish this funding could have been spread around the poorest parts of Cornwall. Pleased that Camborne will get some but there are other areas of deprivation.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 10-Jun-21 10:47:39

Whitewavemark2

JaneJudge

Discussing Climate Change and Boris takes a plane down there

Another lie

PMQ’s ?

would have left it rather tight to catch a train from London to Caribs Bay.

Ellianne Thu 10-Jun-21 10:49:07

I agree muse. Hopefully there will be a knock on effect to poorer areas, like with the Olympics in East London on a far bigger scale.

JaneJudge Thu 10-Jun-21 10:49:54

Biden was in Suffolk, he only arrived in Cornwall an hour ago.

25Avalon Thu 10-Jun-21 10:55:54

Camborne and Redruth are the poorest area of Cornwall so good funding is going there.

It was Biden’s choice to fly into Suffolk but then Mildenhall is one of the biggest US bases in the uk so perhaps no surprise he visited there before heading to Carbis Bay. Perhaps he should then fly straight home rather than have lunch with the Queen?

I’d rather have Devon and Cornwall police than Avon and Somerset, although that’s probably a back handed compliment. D&C are used to large influxes of visitors after all.

Ashcombe Thu 10-Jun-21 10:59:51

“Three towns will receive £65m in funding to create a "fitting legacy" of the G7 summit in Cornwall, Prime Minister Boris Johnson has announced. The money given to Penzance, St Ives and Camborne for local projects comes from the government's Towns Fund.”

This doesn’t fully compensate Cornwall for the loss of EU funding, as reported here:-

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-55279468

ExD Thu 10-Jun-21 11:01:13

What do Cornish Gransnetters think?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 10-Jun-21 11:01:41

Cornwall benefited enormously from EU funding.

Kamiso Thu 10-Jun-21 11:05:19

Urmstongran

Pity this 'ring of steel' hasn't been moved further up the coast near Dover.

Then everyone would be complaining that the govt were London/South East centric (if that’s a word).

Blossoming Thu 10-Jun-21 11:05:24

This could and should have been a virtual conference.

MawBe Thu 10-Jun-21 11:13:32

Glad I am not on the roads though

muse Thu 10-Jun-21 11:21:43

Whitewavemark2

Cornwall benefited enormously from EU funding.

I live in Cornwall and this is what the EU funding provided:
Improved airport
Improved A30
Superfast Broadband
Combined universities
Aerohub
Innovation Centre
Newlyn Fish Market
Advice centres for unemployed, those made redundant and new business

Very little of this actual helped the most deprived areas. These neighbourhoods among the poorest 10% in England. There are hardly any full time jobs with decent salaries . There are very few affordable houses or flats to buy or rent.

JenniferEccles Thu 10-Jun-21 11:23:15

I am amazed at all the negativity on here. It’s important to look at the bigger picture.
Cornwall would benefit massively from international tourism, and in my experience Cornwall is not widely known in other countries.

Talking of inconvenience, a BBC reporter in Carbis Bay was talking to a chap who had travelled down from Scotland and was bemused to find that he couldn’t get his car out of his (presumably) holiday home.
Apparently he knew nothing about the Summit!
Where do the reporters find these people?!

Whitewavemark2 Thu 10-Jun-21 11:25:33

JenniferEccles

I am amazed at all the negativity on here. It’s important to look at the bigger picture.
Cornwall would benefit massively from international tourism, and in my experience Cornwall is not widely known in other countries.

Talking of inconvenience, a BBC reporter in Carbis Bay was talking to a chap who had travelled down from Scotland and was bemused to find that he couldn’t get his car out of his (presumably) holiday home.
Apparently he knew nothing about the Summit!
Where do the reporters find these people?!

In my experience Cornwall is very well known in other countries when people are considering visiting the U.K.

JaneJudge Thu 10-Jun-21 11:27:00

Was it Stanley Johnson? He has a home in Carbis Bay

muse Thu 10-Jun-21 11:27:13

25Avalon Only three towns are getting the funding. Redruth is not one. Nothing is going to the rest of the deprived areas. The Clay Pits area desperately need funds, in particular St Austell and Bodmin. I live 10 mins from these places.

Daisend1 Thu 10-Jun-21 11:34:46

Our local news channel has advised Airforce One landed at Newquay Airport last night local time.
I, thankfully, live twenty five miles from this airport but friends living much closer have informed me that it took them two hours to get home from a night out that normally takes twenty minutes as various roads had been closed off.

olddudders Thu 10-Jun-21 11:42:17

As noted above, Cornwall is England's poorest county, being full of people our age enjoying their retirement. Employment opportunities are few beyond the hospitality sector, currently under-resourced due to Brexit, and now the pandemic forcing gig-economy workers to seek more stable employment. Locals could not afford to buy a home due to overheated market forces before the pandemic encouraged people to move to the South West, and now it is worse. It is one of few English counties not to have any motorway. It takes a surprisingly long time to get from the Devon border to Penzance at the far end. Money for Camborne is particularly welcome - it felt very down at heel before Covid put further nails into the British High Street.

Hosting G7 is a prestige statement, and putting up Pres Biden at the almost-250-year-old Tregenna Castle Hotel is sure to put the place on the US tourist map - if such people ever get to the UK again.

Implausibly, Cornwall CC has had an office in - yes - Brussels. It will be closing shortly.