Gransnet forums

News & politics

Nightmare for Cornwall

(189 Posts)
MawBe Thu 10-Jun-21 08:24:59

As if the losses to the hospitality industry weren’t enough to cope with and lockdown has meant “staycations” if you are lucky enough to get a break at all, pity the poor residents of this corner of Cornwall.
A “ring of steel” has been thrown around Cornwall for the G7 summit, with the Royal Navy watching for threats from the air, including drones, as 11,000 police officers and 150 sniffer dogs attempt to protect world leaders.
With the three-day meeting in Carbis Bay starting tomorrow, Devon and Cornwall Police have called in wide-ranging support from the Ministry of Defence.
Naval vessels, aircraft, sniffer dogs, logistics support facilities and bomb disposal teams will all be on standby.
My neighbour (and friend’s) son has been sent down for the duration as he is in charge of the Paramedic/Ambulance services and is not looking forward to it one bit.
They’ll be ready for a holiday when it is over.

4allweknow Fri 11-Jun-21 11:07:57

In today's world why can't meetings be held via internet. Why do all those leaders and of course the many who make up their entourage have to fly from all parts. They all know the purpose of the meetings so they can contribute just like many have had to do for work over the past year. There is the huge one in Glasgow still to come later this year too.

Nannan2 Fri 11-Jun-21 11:10:28

Its because Boris must fancy a little holiday down there without actually admitting so....Yes, taking a plane there is hilarious- a car would have been bad enough, but still better than a plane! Man's an idiot! And if they're using all those staff& police etc. then they should make sure they were vaccinated first! ?

GrandmaCornwall Fri 11-Jun-21 11:11:48

The “big meeting “ has opened up a lot of conversation here, my youngest grandson has decided he would like to be the next “President of the United Cakes of America”.

Anyway, Day 1 and we have not noticed much disruption in our part of Cornwall …. So far ?

Aepgirl Fri 11-Jun-21 11:11:52

Until sending rockets to the moon, and Formula One Racing is stopped, I won’t make any comments on climate change.

Callistemon Fri 11-Jun-21 11:12:41

Casdon

There was a UN summit in Newport a few years ago, and although it caused chaos on the roads, to local businesses etc. it did bring some much needed short term prosperity to the area, hotels were fully booked and trade was good. It was very short term though..

And we were allowed to use credit/debit cards for bridge tolls for the first time too instead of having to scrabble around for the correct coins!

There's always a silver lining.

EU money did not always go to where it was most needed in Cornwall, there are still areas of huge deprivation.

It's incredibly sad, too, that many young people will never be able to afford to buy a house there or even to stay in their home County because wealthy 2nd home owners have pushed up prices whilst not doing a great deal to boost the economy.

I don't know why this is going ahead at the moment either, but I do hope some positives may come of it for Cornwall in the future.

petalpete Fri 11-Jun-21 11:13:30

The vaccination issue is mind blowing when one listens to the advice and how much we are pressurising everyone to get a vaccination and how much we want to help the poorer countries of the world, I believe it's hypocrisy at its best.

On the other point raised Cornwall and particularly St Ives & Falmouth do very well for business (even during this pandemic) compared to other area's of the Country.
It is constantly being aired on TV and many celebs mention it so this meeting hasn't brought extra business to the area.
The restaurants and beds would have been filled with people using the UK to holiday, so one could say the G7 has deprived Britons from holidaying in the County.
I had a hospitality business in St Ives and we had visitors from all over the world and particularly from the G7 (previously G8) countries visiting and staying, it is surprising how well the UK, its history and stunning locations is known around the world.
It all depends on how the media are portraying this beautiful County.
Extra business? Because of the security required the food suppliers there have not profited as much as people think and a lot of the food to feed the politicians their staff and security people has been shipped from other parts of the UK.
Also the police alone are being paid very well for staying away from home to the value of £80pn while their accommodation and food costs are being paid, some may be in better accommodation than what they have at home and some won't but will they spend that in the town its doubtful as they won't have the time.

I am very proud of the UK and when it puts on a stage we excel and the world watches but I have an issue with this meeting, its about climate change, biodiversity, and pandemics of which we are constantly told to expect more of, yet these leaders with all of their staff etc etc do not have a problem polluting the environment with the travel and all it will bring.

People were forced to stay at home and have been encouraged to work from home and have zoom meetings etc and we are still being told to not expect any change as originally planned yet here they are getting together and making their staff mix, injection or no how safe are they really and how safe are we?

Eviebeanz Fri 11-Jun-21 11:14:38

I can't see the value to Cornwall of being showcased to the world when very few can or should be able to visit. I do hope people there are being compensated for losses that occur.

Callistemon Fri 11-Jun-21 11:15:21

Actually it will bring tourists to neighbouring counties as well.
There is only one neighbouring county
confused

Talullah Fri 11-Jun-21 11:16:59

I'm guessing that the posters who are bringing up Zoom and travelling by car haven't read all the thread. These queries have been covered extensively.

These summits have to be face to face. Nothing would get done on Zoom. Boris would have found its very difficult to get there via train or car even. In that area public transport is practically non-existent due to security and as has been mentioned, locals are finding it nigh on impossible to get anywhere due to massive queues.

I think this comment of Aepgirl makes perfect sense

Until sending rockets to the moon, and Formula One Racing is stopped, I won’t make any comments on climate change

Witzend Fri 11-Jun-21 11:17:59

Not sure Cornwall is so little known in other countries.
During a visit a couple of years ago we saw so many foreign reg cars and camper vans - mostly German and Dutch - and once gave a lift to two middle aged Italian men who told us they’d enjoyed a previous holiday walking Hadrian’s Wall!

Of course I had to ask whether they’d also enjoyed the weather - v likely often cool and damp in that neck of the woods. Oh, yes, that was one of the reasons they’d enjoyed it - escaping the summer heat in Italy!

Dustyhen2010 Fri 11-Jun-21 11:22:12

I think Cornwall is well known and don't think it needs extra publicity to encourage tourists. I would love to visit but always see crowds and mention of narrow roads on any TV pieces which puts me off. There seem to be plenty of folk who visit and often too many. I feel sorry for local residents having to live with so much disruption in the summer. With reference to comments about the boost to the local economy. In our town prior to covid we hosted a huge event and the shops were all prepared for an influx of customers however people were mainly funnelled to the event and out again so didn't boost the sales. The hotels did well for a few days but that was it really. With the rise of the delta variant I feel such a gathering is foolish and am just waiting to hear of some delegates having to isolate. Although obviously hope that won't be the case. Talking of gatherings, don't get me started on the football!!

coastalgran Fri 11-Jun-21 11:28:09

I remember years ago during the office of George Bush the summit was at Gleneagles the same week that "T in the Park" was on at Balado which at the time was the biggest music festival in Scotland and ran over a weekend. The roads in and out of Gleneagles are a nightmare because there is motorway close to it and then a normal road over the glen to link it with where the music venue was so for police/ambulance/fire it was a logistical nightmare. These events seem to lack planning and take place in the most bizarre venues.

Notright Fri 11-Jun-21 11:31:14

For Goodness sake it's only 3 days and it has to be held somewhere safe. So be glad that Cornwall in the world is considered safest. It will bring a boost in income for service places and as I say only 3 days. Go for a drive to a quiet beach if you need to escape. Do you actually live in the area.

maddyone Fri 11-Jun-21 11:35:26

^…..these leaders with all of their staff etc etc do not have a problem polluting the environment with the travel and all it will bring…….

People were forced to stay at home and have been encouraged to work from home and have zoom meetings etc and we are still being told not to expect any change as originally planned yet here they are getting together and making their staff mix, injection or no how safe are they really and how safe are we?^

Yes this, it’s one rule for them and another for us. This should not be happening.

Witzend Fri 11-Jun-21 11:35:38

I’ve read more than once that the popularity of Doc Martin in several countries, has helped to popularise Cornwall, and Port Isaac in particular.

It was certainly heaving when we visited a few years ago, and the tourists weren’t all Brits.

MawBe Fri 11-Jun-21 11:37:34

Terri823

I live in Carbis Bay. I’m currently in Somerset having escaped for the week. Lots of my friends and family are having to sit in 2 to 3 hour traffic jams in country lanes as the one main road closed, to get to their places of work and home, just trying to live their daily lives.. you are not able to drive to local Tesco you have to walk, same with local pharmacy . We have no post office except mobile which has been suspended for duration. Local school closed, car parks taken over by security. Deliveries, carers, cleaners and some local businesses closed as they are on main route that is inaccessible. All local children excited by it all but many locals angry at the expense, threat of COVID and total upheaval to our lives when it could have been conducted on zoom. We don’t need to be put on the map, we are overwhelmed by visitors already.

I think this answers your question Notright hmm

25Avalon Fri 11-Jun-21 11:37:39

One hotel near Carbis Bay is now shut as 2 members of staff have gone down with Covid. I think it was German security staff staying there amongst others so where are they now? St. Austell Brewery who own the hotel are having it deep cleansed and will then reopen if they can find staff.

You can now drink St. Austell’s Summit 47 especially brewed for G7. What a tribute! ( for the unaware Tribute is another ale St. Austell produce).

Cornwall could be on the brink of economic revival if the lithium contained in local granite is extracted which one company is in the middle of doing with very promising results. Lithium is used for batteries in electric cars amongst other things and they won’t be sending youngsters down the mine to extract it either.

It is dd’s 10th wedding anniversary next week which is the Tin anniversary so I have bought a pair of tin candle holders made by Blue Hills Tin at St. Agnes in Cornwall. The tin is polished like silver with engraved roses. They are absolutely beautiful. Pleased to give business to these Cornish craftspeople.

Lolee Fri 11-Jun-21 11:48:03

Let's not lose sight of the bigger picture .... Geo-politics, global economics and environmental issues are being discussed. I'm sure Cornwall will survive a few days of chaos.

Daisend1 Fri 11-Jun-21 11:52:58

Theoddbird
Living in Cornwall,and working in hospitality'since the 1980's, I can assure you that the county is well and truly known across the world and have every sympathy for the families, who regularly support Cornwall hospitality business's , now finding disruption due to the present what seems to be a 'takeover' of the county.

Jan51 Fri 11-Jun-21 11:57:20

I feel sorry for all the locals but it was interesting to see Johnson and Biden walking about at the Carbis Bay hotel yesterday as 4 yrs ago yesterday we were gathered there with family and friends to see our elder daughter get married.
In 2 weeks time we will be spending 2 weeks in Helston where both daughters live so will be making a small contribution to the Cornwall economy.

olddudders Fri 11-Jun-21 12:05:53

Aepgirl

Until sending rockets to the moon, and Formula One Racing is stopped, I won’t make any comments on climate change.

Why single out Formula 1? The fuel used by just 20 cars over the three days of the meeting is as nothing compared to the zillions of gallons consumed by the spectators getting there. In that respect, it is no different from rock concerts, festivals or football, or, of course, the saintly electric cars of Formula E racing.

Nannashirlz Fri 11-Jun-21 12:12:43

Yes I also think the police should have had a jab before being allowed to enter Cornwall. But why all these leaders etc allowed into the country surely should be one rule for all. Also had an ex on phone last night saying trying to get to work for him at present is a nightmare he lives in Cornwall and a builder so he can’t work at home.

Daisend1 Fri 11-Jun-21 12:16:23

Witzend
I agree. TV sitcoms /dramas filmed in UK beauty spots certainly do more than 'ads'.

Stubugs Fri 11-Jun-21 12:19:46

Sorry, Mawbe but you are completely out of line on this one - a view just a tad shortsighted? Try thinking of the bigger picture!

Jenn53 Fri 11-Jun-21 12:21:28

I agree.