✓ Ikea
✓ Octopus Energy
✓ Ovo Energy
✓ Indeed
✓ Vodafone
✓ Specsavers
✓ LV
✓ Bosch

This is a list of companies who have withdrawn their advertising from the anti-woke channel known as GB News, but doesn’t actually seem to give any actual news.

There is footage of one of the female presenter giving someone the finger on air! And myriad errors and technical failures.

It is so heartening to know that there has been sufficient pressure from people who are appalled at the divisive character of the station.

Populism isn’t so popular after all.

FannyCornforth Fri 18-Jun-21 18:24:43

Avalon sorry, I get it now.
But surely calling the slot "Woke Watch" is flagging it up a bit?
It's not exactly balanced is it?

MaizieD Fri 18-Jun-21 18:22:54

25Avalon

They may give examples of “obsessed snowflakes who are trying to see offence in everything” but they don’t tell us they are obsessed snowflakes. You use the rationale to see for yourself.

But it's called 'Woke Watch'. Isn't that a dirty great clue as to how they expect their viewers to think?

You think it's not an invitation to have a good old chunter about those daft people with their strange PC views (as 'woke' seems to be the new 'PC') ?

What on earth are you trying to defend, Avalon?

FannyCornforth Fri 18-Jun-21 18:11:52

25Avalon

They may give examples of “obsessed snowflakes who are trying to see offence in everything” but they don’t tell us they are obsessed snowflakes. You use the rationale to see for yourself.

Eh?

25Avalon Fri 18-Jun-21 18:05:23

And it’s the obsessed snowflakes who are divisive.

25Avalon Fri 18-Jun-21 18:04:38

Alegrias1 Fri 18-Jun-21 17:59:20

Telling half (ish) of the population that the other half are obsessed snowflakes that are trying to see offence in everything and don't really know what the world is like?

25Avalon Fri 18-Jun-21 17:57:28

And that’s divisive?

Alegrias1 Fri 18-Jun-21 17:55:33

Woke Watch confused

25Avalon Fri 18-Jun-21 17:55:01

How is GB News divisive?

FannyCornforth Fri 18-Jun-21 17:51:21

MerylStreep

FannyCornForth
You appear to be watching a lot of this ( your words) bloody awful, downmarket, amateurish pile of poo
Or was this insightful opinion formed in 1/2 /3 hours?

Which would you prefer Meryl?
It sounds as if I'm damned if I do; damned if I don't!
And do you really give a toss either way?

Btw I don't post my opinions in order to have an argument with someone

Likewise, if I read something on here than I don't agree with, I don't feel duty bound to get involved in a long running psycho drama with them

This binary positioning of everything has got to end. It's causing no end of problems

Chestnut Fri 18-Jun-21 17:40:50

As an Octopus customer I asked them about this and got a really detailed 3 page reply. As you can see they are having to deal with something new here, and I think these companies are not so much 'pulling out' as 'waiting to see'.

Alegrias1 Fri 18-Jun-21 17:31:19

There's a big difference between wanting something shut down (which would be limiting freedom of speech) and being happy when something divisive closes down because it doesn't actually appeal to the British public after all hmm

Chestnut Fri 18-Jun-21 17:25:51

Dinahmo Chesnut I've just re-read WWM's OP. I cannot see that she has asked for it to be closed down. If you think that any of the comments on this topic represent hate speech then I can only think that you live in a different world to most of us.
ha ha well maybe I do! The OP has not asked for it to be closed down but she is showing enthusiasm that they are losing advertising, and would no doubt be cheering if the channel did close down. There have been many posts along the same lines on this and another thread.

Chestnut Fri 18-Jun-21 17:16:12

FannyC Chestnut thank you for your answer. But if you think that 'you can't enjoy a news channel' you are doing something wrong!
I guess I've never been a news junkie, it's all so depressing and repetitive, people reporting on or discussing the same things over and over again. And the news is not a happy subject on the whole!

MerylStreep Fri 18-Jun-21 16:47:21

FannyCornForth
You appear to be watching a lot of this ( your words) bloody awful, downmarket, amateurish pile of poo
Or was this insightful opinion formed in 1/2 /3 hours?

FannyCornforth Fri 18-Jun-21 16:36:20

When I said 'behave in front of a camera', I meant in a technical sense
If you watch GBN you will see what I mean.
There's a lot of looking the wrong way and gurning (see Gloria Depiero)

Lucca Fri 18-Jun-21 16:29:15

Chewbacca

^Garage; Widdecombe; or Currie^

I don't think that any of those 3 know how to behave in front of a camera! They all present as caricatures of themselves and "sing to the gallery" when trotting out their odious opinions. They all seem to think that their "entertainers", not politicians.

I also agree with this!

I believe alistair Stewart is part of this new channel. I fear I may not like his political views but he is certainly very experienced.

Lucca Fri 18-Jun-21 16:27:31

Dinahmo

Chesnut I've just re-read WWM's OP. I cannot see that she has asked for it to be closed down. If you think that any of the comments on this topic represent hate speech then I can only think that you live in a different world to most of us.

Agree.

FannyCornforth Fri 18-Jun-21 16:24:58

Chewbacca

^Garage; Widdecombe; or Currie^

I don't think that any of those 3 know how to behave in front of a camera! They all present as caricatures of themselves and "sing to the gallery" when trotting out their odious opinions. They all seem to think that their "entertainers", not politicians.

I'm not saying that I like them or agree with them.
My point is that I don't think that Neil thought about his target audience; and I don't think that he thought about his presenters' TV experience.
The whole venture seems ill thought through (as I said upthread)

Chewbacca Fri 18-Jun-21 16:21:49

Thanks Dinahmo, it's been years since I last watched any tv and it doesn't seem that I'm missing much.

Dinahmo Fri 18-Jun-21 16:16:33

Chewbacca

I don't have a television now and so haven't seen this new tv channel, but I seem to remember that when Channel 5 first aired, in the late 1990s, it was ridiculed because its opening programme had the Spice Girls leaping about in excitement and everyone complained that it was too lightweight and childish to be taken seriously. It's still broadcasting isn't it?

Channel Five is not dedicated to the news, unlike GBN which supposedly is. Channel Five's news programme at 7.00pm is excellent, IMO and they do cover topics in depth if necessary.

Dinahmo Fri 18-Jun-21 16:12:44

Chesnut I've just re-read WWM's OP. I cannot see that she has asked for it to be closed down. If you think that any of the comments on this topic represent hate speech then I can only think that you live in a different world to most of us.

growstuff Fri 18-Jun-21 16:07:36

Lucca

A lot of OTT vocabulary on here…venom, hate, gobsmacked, tearing of hair…
I expect “disgusted of Tunbridge Wells “ at any moment.

I noted that. They're becoming the stereotypes they don't like to admit exist. hmm

Chewbacca Fri 18-Jun-21 16:06:53

Garage; Widdecombe; or Currie

growstuff Fri 18-Jun-21 16:06:11

25Avalon

Growstuff there have been negative twitters made to companies advertising on GB News telling them to pull their adverts or they will never shop with them again. You can find the tweets for yourself. The purpose is to shut the channel down. Cancel culture. Goodbye free speech. I’m not the snowflake here. Those who want to stop me having the choice to watch are.

Remember the 60’s and the book “Last Exit to Brooklyn” which we weren’t allowed to read along with other books? People protested for the right to make up their own minds.

I disagree. So people have tweeted about companies advertising on GBNews? People tweet about stuff all the time - some of it is ludicrous. Spending money on advertising is an art and the people who do it know what they're doing. I doubt very much whether any hard-nosed advertising exec is going to be influenced by a relatively small number of people on Twitter, if they thought their money would reap rewards.