Gransnet forums

News & politics

‘National Yacht’, could the £200m be put to better use?

(104 Posts)
mokryna Tue 22-Jun-21 01:05:44

The Prime Minster announced a few weeks ago that a new Royal Yacht’ was going to be built. Buckingham Palace refused the idea and further more did not want it named after the late Prince Philip.
It is to be paid for by the MofD but used for businesses. Some men in power seem to build a monuments before they leave, could the estimated £200m be better spent on other things?

Annaram1 Wed 23-Jun-21 11:28:30

If the Royal Family wanted it and were going to pay for it that's another matter.

Missingmoominmama Wed 23-Jun-21 11:34:35

Short answer- yes, of course it could be put to better use!

Dollydinkum Wed 23-Jun-21 11:38:08

Johnson probably wants it named after him.

Nanananana1 Wed 23-Jun-21 11:39:20

I still don't understand how a man with such vanity, an enormous ego and so little thought for what the people of his country are going through can get people to vote for him, who are these people?

Semiruralgirl Wed 23-Jun-21 11:40:26

Yes, vanity project along with bikes, buses, tunnels and bridges to Northern Ireland, garden bridges which thankfully didn’t take off along with the proposed new airport in Essex plus many more things probably. He wants his name attache’d to everything. I suppose he might even want the vaccine to be eventually called the Boris vaccine!!! Why doesn’t he
he give the money to the Grenfell project and to all the flat owners who can’t sell their flats and have to pay vast amounts of money to have their buildings put right. Shameful.

Shirlb Wed 23-Jun-21 11:43:43

Should think so! Where is the money coming from anyway? Thought we were broke!!!!

Aepgirl Wed 23-Jun-21 11:43:46

The previous Royal Yacht was not used just by the royal family, but was a base for international trade meetings when moored in foreign ports. It also gave hundreds of people jobs. It should never have been scrapped.

A new one will be a fantastic asset to this country,

bear1 Wed 23-Jun-21 11:43:55

i don't believe the MOD should pay for this as it will not be a military ship also the tax payer should not pay with the state of the NS and the country as a whole we should not be spending that gross amount of money for something we do not need or can afford

leeds22 Wed 23-Jun-21 11:49:48

Boris is totally reckless in announcing grand projects, without a thought for the cost. Well, he’s just totally reckless, full stop.

spabbygirl Wed 23-Jun-21 11:54:13

I agree with leeds22 boris is completely reckless, this idea should be dumped along with garden bridge, bridge to Ireland and umpteen other stupid ideas his government think up. because they're all millionaires they don't know the value of money like we do. They wouldn't have won the election if they hadn't misled the public with their promises on the side of a bus etc

varian Wed 23-Jun-21 11:57:58

Why are so many still supporting this reckless, immoral, dishonest, corrupt narcisstic charlatan?

vegansrock Wed 23-Jun-21 12:00:43

Why should it come out if the depleted military budget as it won’t be used by them ? - just some posh friends and Tory donors to swan around in and what’s the betting the Johnsons’ holidays pretending to be trade missions obviously.

Cambia Wed 23-Jun-21 12:04:30

Really really annoying that money gets wasted like this. We can’t afford to look after our elderly or young children in care but we can waste 1.75 billion on the new HS2 station and 200 million a yacht nobody wants. Who decided all this! I don’t mind paying my taxes but really object to them wasting them on stuff like this.

suttonJ Wed 23-Jun-21 12:04:55

If we want to name something after Boris, we should rechristen the Delta virus the 'Boris closes the stable door variant.'

CrazyGrandma2 Wed 23-Jun-21 12:09:23

How long a list of better uses would you like? smile

Alegrias1 Wed 23-Jun-21 12:14:46

Aepgirl

The previous Royal Yacht was not used just by the royal family, but was a base for international trade meetings when moored in foreign ports. It also gave hundreds of people jobs. It should never have been scrapped.

A new one will be a fantastic asset to this country,

I've posted this before but I make no apology for posting it again.

The Overseas Trade board estimated that Britannia made 3 billion pounds for the exchequer between 1991- 1995.

Foreign trade is about £1,000 billion a year currently. So 3 billion over 4 years is about 0.08% of our international trade.

We could probably manage without a fancy boat. BTW the last one wasn't scrapped. Its moored off Leith.

spabbygirl Wed 23-Jun-21 12:27:51

People who want to trade with us will do so whether its via a boat or not, its just some narcissistic toy the top tories want so they can swan around in the med when they get fed up with downing st and chequers. I'd much rather see the money spent on flats with dangerous cladding or social care

TrishJ Wed 23-Jun-21 12:36:05

I can’t think of a single good reason for one! There are so many other things that need sorting before having a fancy boat!

Paperbackwriter Wed 23-Jun-21 12:41:18

What kind of business needs a yacht to promote it? Presumably it'll be just a party boat for corporate jollies all over the world. Total waste of money.

Callistemon Wed 23-Jun-21 12:42:10

Paperbackwriter

What kind of business needs a yacht to promote it? Presumably it'll be just a party boat for corporate jollies all over the world. Total waste of money.

Yacht and boat businesses?

Kim19 Wed 23-Jun-21 12:50:09

Don't believe for one minute it will happen. Think mid Thames airport, bridge across to Ireland and other fantasies. Only HS2 seems to be materialising at the moment.

Daftbag1 Wed 23-Jun-21 12:54:01

I'm spitting mad! Paid by MOD? The MOD is not spending a fraction of what is needed to support Forces with MH needs or their families, housing in some areas is dire, veterans just left to hope someone in voluntary sector will help. And that's not even touching the surface. But, there's enough money to spend on a new pleasure cruiser for hobbling with the rich and famous!

dolphindaisy Wed 23-Jun-21 12:56:22

Definitely not - the country has tremendous debts now so this is the last thing money should be spent on. Just waiting for Boris to use the launch as a photo opportunity.

Secondwind Wed 23-Jun-21 12:59:31

As if it’s going to cost £200million. It would have about as much chance coming in on budget as I do flying to the moon.

GoldenAge Wed 23-Jun-21 13:13:22

A Royal Yacht ??? I would have thought the last thing we as a nation want to bolster is our royal family given the gutter goings on of the last year - the NHS and social care are far better candidates - more than that, they are needy.