Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is the England football team killing this government’s cynical culture war

(171 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sun 04-Jul-21 08:25:53

I can bet almost 100% that if England continue in their winning streak that by the end off the Euros the booing will have stopped to be replaced by cheers. The boos are already much less.

Nothing succeeds like success and England’s football team should be proud of their courage in sticking to their determination to show their support for those minorities that are subjected to racist taunts and hatred.

lemongrove Sun 04-Jul-21 09:26:23

Yes, the title of the OP was predictable, but the written OP itself didn’t mention anything political, and if you had stuck to that it would have been better and a good subject for discussion.

Witzend Sun 04-Jul-21 09:27:12

I’m just waiting for someone to drag Brexit into it….

As for booing, I can’t think why UEFA don’t take a really tough stand on this. Any booing and the anthem will be stopped, and the game will not proceed until there has been a boo-free anthem.
I’d like to think that peer pressure would shut the yobs up.

However UEFA is not exactly noted for giving much of a toss about anything but money.

Sago Sun 04-Jul-21 09:32:19

It’s the virtue signalling the crowds hate.

Beckett Sun 04-Jul-21 09:35:58

Whitewave "This government is nothing but a populist government."

The definition of populist is: "relating to or characteristic of a political approach that strives to appeal to ordinary people who feel that their concerns are disregarded by established elite groups" Does this mean that those who are against the government don't agree that the concerns of "ordinary" people should be addressed?

Gwyneth Sun 04-Jul-21 09:38:32

Well fortunately I can enjoy the football. I also have other interests, a balanced view on life and thankfully am not obsessed by politics to the exclusion of all else. I feel very sorry for people who seem to make criticising the government the centre of their lives. Life is too short ?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 04-Jul-21 09:41:03

Beckett

Whitewave "This government is nothing but a populist government."

The definition of populist is: "relating to or characteristic of a political approach that strives to appeal to ordinary people who feel that their concerns are disregarded by established elite groups" Does this mean that those who are against the government don't agree that the concerns of "ordinary" people should be addressed?

You have just described the politics of division and no I can’t agree with your conclusion.

trisher Sun 04-Jul-21 09:41:11

Whitewavemark2

This government is nothing but a populist government. If England continue to win, just watch them row back on the comments that they have made regarding booing.

More from twitter

lizabeth Democracy depends on accountability
@ElizabethBangs
·
9h
Who'd've thought we'd see the day when the England men's football manager and team have a better leader and are more genuinely educated, articulate, empathetic, capable, experienced, hard working and honourable than a chaotic bloody PM and his whole cabinet of thieves and liars?

Loved this! Thanks WW2 I
Isn't it odd. If they swapped places the footballers would probably cope, but the PM and cabinet would really struggle!!!

MaizieD Sun 04-Jul-21 09:55:12

Does this mean that those who are against the government don't agree that the concerns of "ordinary" people should be addressed?

In view of the fact that more than 50% of people who voted in the 2019 GE didn't vote for this government does this mean that 'ordinary people' are in a minority?

Or that there are more 'ordinary people' whose concerns are not being listened to than there are 'ordinary people' whose concerns are?

Or does it just indicate that 'populism' is very divisive?

MaizieD Sun 04-Jul-21 10:04:43

Sago

It’s the virtue signalling the crowds hate.

virtue signalling A phrase frequently taken to mean hypocrisy. So are you saying that the England team are really full on racists?

Or are all the booers upright, decent, fervent anti-racists who just don't approve of public anti-racist demonstrations?

MerylStreep Sun 04-Jul-21 10:13:06

Whitewavemark2
People who really understand racism have a different view.
www.sportbible.com/football/football-news-john-barnes-says-southgate-doesnt-understand-how-complex-racism-is-20210609

Kandinsky Sun 04-Jul-21 10:21:38

It should be up to each individual player as to whether they ‘take the knee’ or not. It’s associated with the BLM movement & that’s a political organisation.
If you’re only doing something because you’re being told to then what’s the point?
Plus some teams aren’t doing it at all ( the Ukrainian team last night just looking at England taking the knee was a bit awkward )
I’m not saying the entire England team are only doing it because they’ve been told to, they’d probably do it anyway, but not every team in the UK leagues are doing it so it’s not exactly uniting the entire game of football.
Out of interest - are tennis players taking the knee before games? or in any other sport?

trisher Sun 04-Jul-21 10:30:48

Out of interest - are tennis players taking the knee before games? or in any other sport?
Don't think tennis players are, but then tennis doesn't attract crowds who yell obscenities and make monkey noises when a black player has the ball.

Kandinsky Sun 04-Jul-21 10:34:34

Ahh. So racists only go to football matches?

Well that’s that sorted.

Galaxy Sun 04-Jul-21 10:38:39

That's not what was said though. As far as I am aware there is not a history of racist chanting in tennis, there is in football.

Dinahmo Sun 04-Jul-21 10:41:28

Beckett

A slightly different meaning of populism:

In its current general sense, the word populism designates a political approach which tends to pit the people against the political, economic or media elites .

The feeling of being excluded from the exercise of power, even when it has been democratically elected, is the basis of this attitude which affects both right-wing and left-wing political sensibilities. Populism refers to a people who are considered excluded from power and not listened to by representative democracy, deemed cut off from reality.

Kamiso Sun 04-Jul-21 10:49:48

lemongrove

Yes, the title of the OP was predictable, but the written OP itself didn’t mention anything political, and if you had stuck to that it would have been better and a good subject for discussion.

Personally I think they should be encouraged to spout their nonsense. It’s what is holding them back from forming any kind of opposition.

They forget that the electorate are now perfectly capable of forming their own views and voting accordingly.

Looking down their noses at voters and implying that, if they disagree with the left wingers, they must be stupid shows a huge lack of respect.

It will keep them out of power, until they come up with some viable policies, unite and stop stabbing each other in the back.

trisher Sun 04-Jul-21 10:52:33

Kandinsky

Well that’s that sorted.

I have no doubt that there are racists in every section and group in society (even on GN). They seldom express their racist feelings like football crowds have.

Galaxy Sun 04-Jul-21 10:55:17

Crikey whitewave are you failing to unite the labour party and come up with decent policies againgrin

Whitewavemark2 Sun 04-Jul-21 10:57:33

Galaxy

Crikey whitewave are you failing to unite the labour party and come up with decent policies againgrin

??apparently so. But I have a broad back.

Kandinsky Sun 04-Jul-21 11:01:11

That’s probably because football is the most popular sport in the world, followed & watched by millions. So law of averages means you’ll get more racists.
How you deal with that isn’t as simple as a few players bending down for 2 seconds before a match.
What about all the teams refusing to do it?
What should we do about that?
Last night England took the knee but Ukraine didn’t.
What message is that sending?

MaizieD Sun 04-Jul-21 11:06:43

Populism refers to a people who are considered excluded from power and not listened to by representative democracy, deemed cut off from reality.

Hmm. "a people who are considered excluded from power and not listened to by representative democracy"

Sounds like a description of 16+ million of the electorate over the past 5 years...

Whitewavemark2 Sun 04-Jul-21 11:08:37

kandinsky the message?

That Ukraine has a far right neo-Nazi supporting government.

MaizieD Sun 04-Jul-21 11:13:47

Kandinsky

Well that’s that sorted.

I followed British Ice Hockey a few years ago. Plenty of racists among the spectators there... booing and monkey noises very common...

GillT57 Sun 04-Jul-21 11:24:02

vegansrock

What’s the betting Johnson and co take the credit for the success of the football team ? At least it takes sleaze off the headlines which they will be grateful for.

I fully expect that by the middle of next week, we will have been gaslit into believing that Johnson, not Kane, scored two goals. After he sacked Hancock of course.

MaizieD Sun 04-Jul-21 11:29:14

GillT57

vegansrock

What’s the betting Johnson and co take the credit for the success of the football team ? At least it takes sleaze off the headlines which they will be grateful for.

I fully expect that by the middle of next week, we will have been gaslit into believing that Johnson, not Kane, scored two goals. After he sacked Hancock of course.

I'm waiting for someone to claim that England couldn't have got this far if we'd still been in the EU grin