Gransnet forums

News & politics

Johnson's lies (again) Why do people still believe him?

(177 Posts)
Dinahmo Wed 07-Jul-21 15:28:27

I referred on the PMQT discussion to an interview on GMB this morning with a lawyer, Peter Stephanovic who has produced a video debunking several of Johnson's "facts".

I've started a new thread because the one about PMQT is quite specific.

Stephanovic was interviewed on GMB this morning by Susannah Reid and Alistair Campbell and the PM was defended by his biographer Andrew Gimson.

Here's a link to the GMB interview www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScFh94J7SV4

Watching Alistair Campbell I was reminded of the accusations against him and Blair about the lies told to the country over the Iraq war. Thousands of people, with reason, dislike Blair, some of them intensely, because of the lies.

Johnson has lied through his teeth on many occasions but still people believe him. Why is this?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 31-Jul-21 10:57:53

There is going to be a website set up to record Johnson’s lies.

GillT57 Wed 28-Jul-21 12:45:26

Whitewavemark2

Oh yes!, Willmott and Young. Blimey that’s a book I’d forgotten

Me too! A staple read in A level Sociology. How times have changed; couples got engages, Mum had a word with the rent man, and a flat was procured for the young couple. Matriarchal society too. I digress, but a book which influenced my teens.

Alegrias1 Wed 28-Jul-21 12:16:39

No worries Doodledog, I could have been clearer.

Doodledog Wed 28-Jul-21 12:10:40

Sorry if I misunderstood, Alegrias. I thought that you were suggesting that disgruntled Labour supporters should vote Lib Dem.

Lucca Wed 28-Jul-21 09:05:29

Alegrias1

I googled Toby Young in the context of Dawn Butler. Found this.

And they call us snowflakes. ??

www.spectator.co.uk/article/dawn-butler-spoiled-one-of-the-best-days-of-my-life

?? that is pathetic !

GrannyGravy13 Wed 28-Jul-21 09:05:27

Alegrias1

"suggestions like mine"?

I was thinking about these people who say that they could never have voted for a Corbyn-led Labour party so went Tory instead Doodledog. That is incomprehensible to me - that anyone who thinks of themselves as basically Labour could ever think of voting for this shower.

I always vote for who I want to win.

It is a dilemma, I couldn’t vote for the current Labour, Lib Dem’s and honestly not sure if I could vote Conservative again unless there are changes of a magnitude unseen before.

We have a major housing/infrastructure planning nightmare in our area at the moment and many locals are looking to see how our constituency MP acts.

It’s hopefully 3 years until next election, plenty of time to ponder

Alegrias1 Wed 28-Jul-21 09:00:25

"suggestions like mine"?

I was thinking about these people who say that they could never have voted for a Corbyn-led Labour party so went Tory instead Doodledog. That is incomprehensible to me - that anyone who thinks of themselves as basically Labour could ever think of voting for this shower.

I always vote for who I want to win.

Doodledog Wed 28-Jul-21 08:26:00

But why should a Labour voter vote Lib Dem? I don’t understand.

If the LDs had policies that people supported then they would have been able to gain power in their own right. As it is, they seem to want to be the party of the ‘don’t knows’ or a blend of Torylite and semi-skimmed Labour. A bit like Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter.

I’m sure that wasn’t the intention of the SDP when they split the Left and handed power to Thatcher for so long, but it does seem to be what’s happened, and it’s not helped by suggestions like yours.

Alegrias1 Sat 24-Jul-21 19:30:10

Lib Dem’s never stand a chance here either, wasted vote.

If all the Labour voters had decided to vote Lib Dem their votes wouldn't have been wasted, would they?

But I can only assume that instead they decided to vote for the wastrel who offered them the moon on a stick.

varian Sat 24-Jul-21 19:20:43

We need an electoral system where there is no such thing as a wasted vote.

I hope that I can live long enough to see the UK become a democracy.

Lincslass Sat 24-Jul-21 19:16:44

GrannyGravy13

Can I respectfully point out that it is possible to be a Conservative (at heart) and not be supportive of Mr.Johnson (or a so called on GN ^boris babe^)

Thank you , absolutely.

Lincslass Sat 24-Jul-21 19:15:30

growstuff

Katie59

MaizieD

I think that people who say that 'all politicians lie' are, in effect, saying that the people who vote for them are stupid. Why else would they vote for someone who they cannot rely on to carry out their stated intentions?

Because the alternative is worse.
We are voting for the least worse candidate usually, last election it was at least positive “get Brexit done”, since then it’s all been downhill.
To justify their actions all politicians say what ever they need to say wether it’s true or not.

I have met all the candidates in the last election in my constituency. I can honestly say that both the LibDem and Labour candidates were worthier. They would have worked harder and been more honest. I went to the pre-election hustings and they wiped the floor with Conservative candidate, who went on to win with a huge Conservative majority. I don't think people even knew what they were really voting for. They're tribal and don't know what any political party's policies actually are. I went out canvassing with one of the candidates and some of the absolute tripe I heard on doorsteps was breathtaking in its utter ignorance. They really were like some of the "vox pop" interviewees so beloved of TV presenters.

They may have been ˋ better‘ ´but Labour leader then was seen as a hard left commie, who was not palatable to the people of my home town, who had returned a Labour MP for the last 40 years. Lib Dem’s never stand a chance here either, wasted vote.

Kali2 Sat 24-Jul-21 18:44:10

Doodledog

It's great to be able to pin down the government's promises on social care at last.

I am glad you are impressed ;)

Whitewavemark2 Sat 24-Jul-21 18:36:53

Oh yes!, Willmott and Young. Blimey that’s a book I’d forgotten

Dinahmo Sat 24-Jul-21 18:28:20

Alegrias1

I read the Spectator piece - a lot of puff about not much. I had thought that, reading the words "hypocrisy around Toby Young" that she had said something terrible.

I met Toby Young's father several years ago at the celebration of the life of an old school friend. Michael Young founded the Institute for Community Studies in 1953 and my friend worked as his PA throughout her working life from the late 60s onwards.

Michael Young was an influential sociologist, social activist and politician. He co-authored with Peter Willmott the book "Family and Kinship in East London"

He was instrumental in creating or supporting a number of organisations including the OU and the Consumer Council.

Late in life he accepted a life peerage because he was running short of money and would be able to claim the attendance allowance and free travel.

Father and son are at opposite ends of political thought. It's interesting how someone brought up in a left wing political atmosphere could become an extreme right winger.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 24-Jul-21 18:17:21

We know now, as if we didn’t before, that Brexit was built on lies.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 24-Jul-21 17:13:15

Doodledog

It's great to be able to pin down the government's promises on social care at last.

??

Doodledog Sat 24-Jul-21 16:12:16

Kali2 Sat 24-Jul-21 16:09:23

Whitewavemark2

Kali2

At last, the promised Social Care plan we have all been waiting for

borisjohnsonsocialcareplan.com/

Excellent!

Only took 2 years!

Alegrias1 Sat 24-Jul-21 16:07:41

I googled Toby Young in the context of Dawn Butler. Found this.

And they call us snowflakes. ??

www.spectator.co.uk/article/dawn-butler-spoiled-one-of-the-best-days-of-my-life

Whitewavemark2 Sat 24-Jul-21 16:02:23

lincslass

Butler chose her vocabulary with care, for maximum publicity.

Well done her!

Whitewavemark2 Sat 24-Jul-21 16:00:23

Kali2

Excellent!

Kali2 Sat 24-Jul-21 15:56:07

Dinahmo Thu 22-Jul-21 22:54:09

Lincslass

Perhaps she should have the intelligence to find a vocabulary that wouldn’t have seen her thrown out, she could then have continued with her accusations, or perhaps it was deliberate to draw attention to herself.. Perhaps also she should remember her own lies re homelessness and two homes expenses scandal, couldn’t get Covid testing numbers right, then the hypocrisy around Toby Young when she was hobnobbing with Brendan Cox who had to leave his post with save the children. The opposition have done nothing to help in this pandemic, no useful plan to put forward, just criticism and blame. Like a ground hog Labour day. No I don’t agree with everything this Government have done either.

1. What's Toby Young got to do with this?

2. The govt doesn't want the opposition's help. It has been offered and rejected or ignored

3. Oppositions are meant to hold a govt to account. That's a bit difficult with the current PM

4. I'm sure that Dawn Butler. like many of on here know that had she said mistruths instead of lies she wouldn't have been thrown out

Kali2 Thu 22-Jul-21 21:19:32

Indeed- she knew exactly what she was saying- the truth- and also knew she would not retract and be sent out. Respect. Hope many others follow from now on.