Gransnet forums

News & politics

How should you personally respond to the COP26 Conference in Glasgow in November?

(17 Posts)
varian Sun 01-Aug-21 18:42:24

The UK will host the 26th UN Climate Change Conference of the Parties (COP26) in Glasgow on 31 October – 12 November 2021.

ukcop26.org/

What should the you as an individual be doing to show leadership in addressing climate change?

Blossoming Sun 01-Aug-21 18:48:50

I’ve just swapped the diesel for a petrol hybrid car. I used to cycle but not possible now. Shop locally where possible. Got solar panels in the garden, collect rainwater for the plants, just small stuff really but every little helps.

Kim19 Sun 01-Aug-21 18:56:58

Stopped buying clothes and participate in all recycling available. I'm sure I have other contributions but nothing springs to mind right now. Things I've been doing for years may come under the umbrella but perhaps only because I've been practising thrift for years.

Alegrias1 Sun 01-Aug-21 19:27:29

I'm child-free and I've been a vegetarian for over 30 years. The child-free part is probably my biggest contribution but the effect on the environment wasn't my biggest influencer in choosing that, it's kind of an added extra bonus.

I do all the expected things about recycling, cutting down on use of resources as much as I can etc., but I do think these things are essentially a drop in the ocean.

So I'm off over to your other thread, varian smile

varian Sun 01-Aug-21 19:55:04

I don't eat meat. I don't use a car if I can avoid it. I grow veg. I cut my own hair. I don't drink coffee. (which comes from the other side of the world). I dry my washing outside on the washing line. I recycle everything I can and send stuff I don't need to the charity shop. I never buy anything that needs to be dry cleaned. I share a bath or shower with my OH.

What else should I do??

Kali2 Mon 02-Aug-21 20:40:30

Knowing that the UK exports tons of plastic to countries where it all ends up in the oceans- cutting out plastic altogether is a priority.

Tea3 Mon 02-Aug-21 20:47:46

Kali2

Knowing that the UK exports tons of plastic to countries where it all ends up in the oceans- cutting out plastic altogether is a priority.

I’m all for cutting out plastic.

SueDonim Mon 02-Aug-21 21:00:20

I was looking at cleaning products today and my goodness, the number of disposable wipes that on sale. Do we really need all these different types? And wouldn’t a cloth and an appropriate cleaning fluid do the job just as well. My children use wipes to give their dc a quick clean of hands and face. That’s 30 seconds use and into the bin, plus chemicals on their skin. What’s wrong with a flannel or a clean kitchen cloth?

Kali2 Mon 02-Aug-21 21:02:07

Indeed- initially, people didn't know the damage they cause, and the massive problems with drains and sewers- but now, everyone knows. A disaster.

MissAdventure Mon 02-Aug-21 21:04:27

I don't think there is anything I need to change.
I'm sort of confident that being skint for years on end has meant my footprint is small.

MissAdventure Mon 02-Aug-21 21:07:17

I do drink bottled water, though. blush

ayse Mon 02-Aug-21 21:15:03

SueDonim

I was looking at cleaning products today and my goodness, the number of disposable wipes that on sale. Do we really need all these different types? And wouldn’t a cloth and an appropriate cleaning fluid do the job just as well. My children use wipes to give their dc a quick clean of hands and face. That’s 30 seconds use and into the bin, plus chemicals on their skin. What’s wrong with a flannel or a clean kitchen cloth?

Nothing wrong at all. My DDS no3 uses old towels to make cleaning cloths as do I.

No plastics to be used that are not fully recyclable and not to be exported abroad for disposal. Reduce plastic use to an absolute minimum.

Minimise the disposable society. Re-use, repurpose etc.

SueDonim Mon 02-Aug-21 21:50:26

It’s not my place to comment to them on how my dc look after their children but I make a point of using flannels & cloths when they’re here. Funnily enough, they love a flannel to play with in the bath, they think it’s great fun!

Lincslass Tue 03-Aug-21 07:39:02

Thanks whoever reported my comment, re what changes there have been in my area over the last ten years, with Government help and green companies affecting positive impact on climate change. Guess if you are Conservative your views don’t count. Suppose denigrating the current Gov would have brought applause, but anything positive, non. My Conservative council also use domestic and commercial waste to produce energy and fuel, instead of landfill. Personally don’t use any plastic unless I have to, certainly not bottled water, washing sheets, biodegradable, outside drying when I can. Do use a small car, have no bus transport. Don’t use wipes.

Alegrias1 Tue 03-Aug-21 09:04:01

Is that the comment in the other COP26 thread Lincslass? It's almost entirely devoted to promoting a commercial company. It doesn't specifically mention your local area and even if you follow the link its just another set of links. Personally, I couldn't see much about actual local initiatives without going down a rabbit hole, and there was certainly no mention of politics.

And no, it wasn't me who reported it, but I did think about it.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 03-Aug-21 09:59:05

I have thought about this, and have decided that I ought to do something “extra” on top of my other efforts.

Every member of my family now will get a tree planted on their birthday through various organisations and my contribution.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 03-Aug-21 10:00:00

MissAdventure

I don't think there is anything I need to change.
I'm sort of confident that being skint for years on end has meant my footprint is small.

?