Gransnet forums

News & politics

Botham: Trade envoy for Australia, whatever next?

(39 Posts)
GillT57 Mon 23-Aug-21 13:10:30

It is rumoured that the main reason for this questionable appointment is so that Liz Truss can say that Botham Bats for Britain, oh and that he is a staunch Brexiteer.

varian Wed 25-Aug-21 19:57:23

Exactly. Does our government not realise that the biggest trade bloc in the world is actually on our doorstep?

vegansrock Wed 25-Aug-21 19:53:45

We obviously need to boost trade with the likes of Cameroon and Lichtenstein and need special envoys for those places , why not one for the biggest trading bloc in the world?

Enid101 Wed 25-Aug-21 19:13:49

jaylucy

Sometimes those with no expertise can do the best job!
Australia sets great store by sports stars and many will remember him from the Ashes.
He could probably do a much better job than many politicians or bods with letters after their names could do.
His passion for his country and probably belief that some items produced can't be beaten. Let him have a go !

Couldn’t agree more!

varian Wed 25-Aug-21 18:54:09

We could debate who appears to have fewer brain-cells - Liz Truss or Botham?. Hard to tell.

Petera Wed 25-Aug-21 18:52:03

GillT57

It is rumoured that the main reason for this questionable appointment is so that Liz Truss can say that Botham Bats for Britain, oh and that he is a staunch Brexiteer.

It's so that Liz Truss can cram as many cliches possible into as few words.

varian Wed 25-Aug-21 18:45:56

Botham said Australians were just like their country "big and empty" Does anyone think that will help us to trade with Australia?

nanna8 Wed 25-Aug-21 13:26:49

MayBee70

Mind you, Boycott would make a good name for a sales envoy.

Good one hehe.?

MayBee70 Tue 24-Aug-21 15:55:28

Mind you, Boycott would make a good name for a sales envoy.

GillT57 Tue 24-Aug-21 14:59:57

and talking of jobs for ex cricketers; what about Geoffrey Boycott as envoy for women's rights? This is a joke........but you never know. Irony is dead at the moment, reality has overtaken it.

MayBee70 Tue 24-Aug-21 13:19:06

And Eamon Holmes and Carol Vordemann….

MayBee70 Tue 24-Aug-21 13:17:57

I’m waiting to hear of Anne Widdecombe being offered a trade envoy job….

Silverbridge Tue 24-Aug-21 10:26:27

A business opportunity to promote those circulation machines he puffs on daytime TV. 400 people held captive travelling London-Sydney for over 20 hours.

NotSpaghetti Tue 24-Aug-21 10:11:54

Maybe - my thoughts exactly!

MayBee70 Tue 24-Aug-21 00:13:01

NotSpaghetti

This is something he tweeted about enjoying being in the House of Lords!

Well, the way this government operates they probably read the last sentence and realised they had to sign him up for something he had absolutely no knowledge or interest in. Isn’t that the way things work these days?

Sago Mon 23-Aug-21 22:28:13

Ian Botham was knighted for his services to sport and charity.
He has raised 12 million pounds for charity.

I believe he will be a good envoy.

NotSpaghetti Mon 23-Aug-21 21:24:42

This is something he tweeted about enjoying being in the House of Lords!

MayBee70 Mon 23-Aug-21 19:20:06

varian

Wasn't Prince Andrew supposed to be a trade envoy? I wonder what sort of trade he discussed with his good friend Epstein?

Was he going to use Boris’s boat? When it’s eventually made.

varian Mon 23-Aug-21 18:00:37

Lesley60

I don’t even understand why he’s a lord

He was a brexiter, that was enough.

varian Mon 23-Aug-21 17:59:52

Wasn't Prince Andrew supposed to be a trade envoy? I wonder what sort of trade he discussed with his good friend Epstein?

Lesley60 Mon 23-Aug-21 17:57:18

I don’t even understand why he’s a lord

MayBee70 Mon 23-Aug-21 17:50:01

Hoey has been appointed to deal with Ghana. This is just a bad dream isn’t it?

MerylStreep Mon 23-Aug-21 17:12:55

I doubt very much that he will be involved with the actual talks.
He will be there for the Meet &Greet aspect.
I don’t know what he’s like now but my daughter spent time with him in the Himalayas some years ago. She found him very sociable ?

Jaxjacky Mon 23-Aug-21 17:06:51

He owns Beefy’s restaurant at the Ageas Bowl near us, nice little link up? ?

Callistemon Mon 23-Aug-21 16:30:27

Speculation, three months ago, that Australia's beef exports to the UK could rise tenfold as a result of the free-trade agreement? Let's chose someone whose nickname is Beefy as out trade envoy? Sounds about right.
?

Lots of celebs are getting wines named after them; it's the in thing, perfumes are so passé now

Kyley Minogue, Drew Barrymore, Andrea Bocelli, Sam Neill to name a few
Actually, Graham Norton's Sauvignon Blanc was sent in our order as a substitute and it was rather good.

Calendargirl Mon 23-Aug-21 16:20:57

NotSpaghetti

Good article here if anyone's interested.
www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/voices/ian-botham-trade-envoy-australia-b1907148.html%3famp

He has wines named after him there. I actually thought he had a vineyard but not sure now.

He does have something to do with wines, we were recently given a bottle with ‘Botham’ in the name.