Gransnet forums

News & politics

So, let's leave Conference behind, onwards and forwards ...

(222 Posts)
Kali2 Mon 11-Oct-21 14:29:50

How do you see things progressing from now on

a) short-term, say from now till Christmas

b) next year

c) and beyond?

Alegrias1 Thu 14-Oct-21 17:18:39

We should ( and now are) be able to set our own immigration numbers, depending on who we need.

How's that working out?

www.theguardian.com/business/2021/oct/13/just-20-uk-visas-issued-to-foreign-lorry-drivers-government-admits

lemongrove Thu 14-Oct-21 17:18:21

I think we need to speak the truth Whitewave you can’t possibly deny the point about prejudice being universal.
Any other points that you think are ‘racist’ can be challenged, but not shut any poster down out of hand.

lemongrove Thu 14-Oct-21 17:14:45

You are quite right ajswan there is prejudice within many ethnic groups, it isn’t a total preserve of white people.
We all remember the tragic case of the little boy of African parents in London that was killed by some older children of West Indian backgrounds, they gave that as the reason for the attack ( ethnic differences.) Heartbreaking case.
Sadly prejudice for ethnic backgrounds and colour flourish in
Every country in the world.
Prejudice is not the reason for not believing in unlimited immigration to the UK.
We should ( and now are) be able to set our own immigration
Numbers, depending on who we need.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 14-Oct-21 17:12:23

Rather bizarrely I always think they get enough encouragement from a tiny minority standing on the sidelines telling them that their post are good etc.

Pity really as this sort of hate should never be encouraged.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 14-Oct-21 17:09:40

ajswan

vegansrock

I don’t think challenging racism has to be ladylike.Stating inaccuracies about others based merely on ones own prejudices demonstrates ignorance of the facts and should be pointed out. The fact that these points have not been responded to demonstrates the weakness of the argument.

Here we go, use the racist card. Fact, some areas are wholly Muslim, how did this happen, because gradually the shops were bought up and catered only to the ethnic population. Barking High Street and Green Street in London are prime examples. I worked for an East London Council. My colleagues were mainly from ethnic backgrounds. Some of my colleagues came to my house for dinner, there was Rita ,black African who called me Nan, Rukea, strict Muslim, (I didn’t serve alcohol and did vegetarian dishes), Karen, Hindu, and Melanie, Christian. We took it in turns to go to each other’s homes. They would laugh if they knew I was accused of being racist. I stated facts, for example we are a small country and can only cater for a certain number. In my experience of working in these areas, I found that Pakistanis did not like Indians, Africans did not like West Indians and so on. I mentioned honour killings before, where some barbaric, Fathers, Uncles etc would torture and kill a female relative if she went out with or worse still married someone from another caste or religion. Is that not racism. What about reverse racism, can a white policeman attend a meeting of the Black police federation for example, I think not.

You know we occasionally get these sort of posts which border on being racist or hate speech or lies or ignorance. They come into GN make a big fuss and bother for a bit then disappear.

I could name loads of these posters - all gone.

Alegrias1 Thu 14-Oct-21 16:34:14

There's no such thing as reverse racism, only racism. It doesn't matter what colour you are, if you are being discriminated against because of your colour, its racism.

Some of my best friends are black is not an excuse for discrimination.

And finally, most Muslims aren't vegetarian.

ajswan Thu 14-Oct-21 16:23:06

vegansrock

I don’t think challenging racism has to be ladylike.Stating inaccuracies about others based merely on ones own prejudices demonstrates ignorance of the facts and should be pointed out. The fact that these points have not been responded to demonstrates the weakness of the argument.

Here we go, use the racist card. Fact, some areas are wholly Muslim, how did this happen, because gradually the shops were bought up and catered only to the ethnic population. Barking High Street and Green Street in London are prime examples. I worked for an East London Council. My colleagues were mainly from ethnic backgrounds. Some of my colleagues came to my house for dinner, there was Rita ,black African who called me Nan, Rukea, strict Muslim, (I didn’t serve alcohol and did vegetarian dishes), Karen, Hindu, and Melanie, Christian. We took it in turns to go to each other’s homes. They would laugh if they knew I was accused of being racist. I stated facts, for example we are a small country and can only cater for a certain number. In my experience of working in these areas, I found that Pakistanis did not like Indians, Africans did not like West Indians and so on. I mentioned honour killings before, where some barbaric, Fathers, Uncles etc would torture and kill a female relative if she went out with or worse still married someone from another caste or religion. Is that not racism. What about reverse racism, can a white policeman attend a meeting of the Black police federation for example, I think not.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 14-Oct-21 10:28:37

Kali2

Many of us were dubious about the Oven Ready best ever Deal Johnson signed. But THIS is truly shocking. I am no fan of Paisley Snr or Jnr- but these revelations are going to rock the boat, and the EU are fully aware of this too. So when people talk about lack of trust in the word of Johnson, and the UK- no-one can be surprised

youtu.be/YLa0hVOU0Us

So he clearly told Paisley at the time, that he had every intention of tearing up the Deal before he signed it.

So before the election, he was selling the Tory party with an “oven ready deal” and a deal that was the best for the U.K. etc etc.

EVERY SINGLE WORD THAT CAME OUT OF HIS MOUTH WAS A LIE..

Johnson is a fraud and a liar.

It is really absolutely disgusting.

We now have two witnesses to Johnson’s on fraudulent intentions.

Zoejory Thu 14-Oct-21 10:27:51

So he clearly told Paisley at the time, that he had every intention of tearing up the Deal before he signed it.

How on earth do you know that he clearly told Paisley this. Kali2

This would never stand up in court.

Zoejory Thu 14-Oct-21 10:26:07

I am terribly boring. But I do like to see/hear someone actually say what they are alleged to have said

And I say this, not as a Tory, not as a Brexiteer but as someone who worked in a legal field and hearsay just isn't acceptable.

Just as nobody believes Boris why should we believe anyone talking negatively about him?

So if it fits your agenda it's OK to absolutely believe someone's claim?

If there is footage of Boris saying this I'd be happy to see it.

lemongrove Thu 14-Oct-21 10:22:53

Don’t believe all you read on youtube.

lemongrove Thu 14-Oct-21 10:19:50

Well Scones.... if the Caroline Lucas suggestion was meant as a pure fantasy ( which it certainly is) all well and good.What team would she build around her btw? From which political Party would they be drawn? The poster did say ‘who I would replace the government with’.
The Greens haven’t a hope of ever getting into sniffing distance of governing so Lucas wouldn’t be worth considering.

MaizieD Thu 14-Oct-21 10:05:22

Kali2

Many of us were dubious about the Oven Ready best ever Deal Johnson signed. But THIS is truly shocking. I am no fan of Paisley Snr or Jnr- but these revelations are going to rock the boat, and the EU are fully aware of this too. So when people talk about lack of trust in the word of Johnson, and the UK- no-one can be surprised

youtu.be/YLa0hVOU0Us

I think this needs a new thread, KAli2

Kali2 Thu 14-Oct-21 09:57:25

And that was BEFORE the Dec 2019 General Election and BEFORE the first Commons vote on this on 22nd October 2019.

Kali2 Thu 14-Oct-21 09:54:33

youtu.be/YLa0hVOU0Us

Scones Thu 14-Oct-21 08:48:40

lemongrove

Susieq62

I was asked who I would replace the Government with and I would like to see Caroline Lucas as a stable, sensible leader who has ideas and humility.
I am sick of the old Eton brigade who think that because they have had an elitist education it gives them the right to govern.
I feel after 11 years of no hope, no ideas, poor management and a lack of leadership we deserve a radical shake up. I can but dream !!

Caroline Lucas?! You jest? And all on her own as well ?

The poster did say 'as a leader, not as the entire cabinet.

I'm presuming Susieq62 thought that Caroline would build a team around her as most leaders do.

Given so many aspects of the performance of our current leader and cabinet surely the sensible, measured and highly thought of (obviously not by lemongrove, but by many others ) Caroline would certainly be an alterntive worth considering or at least discussing here.

Dismissing this post out of hand was a shame.

Galaxy Thu 14-Oct-21 07:40:34

Ladylikegrin. Yes being ladylike has always helped things change.

diathena Thu 14-Oct-21 06:27:01

why are women determined to be against one another to suit the male order, so many brains on here all being manipulated to miss the major picture, we don't like what is happening, so let us show the way and come together, regardless of political leanings,. we all know the only way is down for our children and theirs, whatever divide you are on does not matter, we have to look for a semblance of a future for the next generation, our kids!

vegansrock Thu 14-Oct-21 06:00:39

ajswan Thu 14-Oct-21 00:06:30

Kali2

Bored? Boring?

Racism is never boring, it is disgusting. So you come here from nowhere to just drop in your racist bile- and quickly tell us you are bored?

Yes, enjoy the rest of your evening.

Racist bile, that’s a bit harsh, so ladylike, not, go get a life.

Trisha57 Wed 13-Oct-21 23:24:56

Thank you lemongrove for clarifying. I did wonder why that word popped up in the middle of the post!! Although it's easy for the OP to pop back and correct, is it not?!

vegansrock Wed 13-Oct-21 22:11:48

aswan you do not address your inaccuracy in stating that those who are not hostile to immigration do not live in high immigration areas. Simple not true. Plenty of us live in cities with high immigration and enjoy the diversity. I’d hate to live in a mono cultural world with just chip and pie shops.

Alegrias1 Wed 13-Oct-21 22:05:51

How was my post racist...

There are areas where there are no longer any British butchers, only halal

Racist. And you don't even know why.

I await my deletion.

Kali2 Wed 13-Oct-21 22:02:10

Bored? Boring?

Racism is never boring, it is disgusting. So you come here from nowhere to just drop in your racist bile- and quickly tell us you are bored?

Yes, enjoy the rest of your evening.

growstuff Wed 13-Oct-21 21:59:00

ajswan

Thank you Lemongrove, I did mean gentle. Regarding racism, in every culture there is racism. Don’t get me started on honour killings. How was my post racist when it is a fact that we as a small island cannot cope with unlimited immigration, it does not take a brain of Britain to work this out. I am bored with this boring debate. Thank you Lemongrove for being kind and a voice of reason.

Enjoy the rest of your evening.