Gransnet forums

News & politics

Keeping Royal Secrets

(361 Posts)
Alegrias1 Sun 21-Nov-21 09:57:51

We are often told on here that despite the financial or democratic problems with the system, having a Royal Family provides continuity and something to fall back in in times of crisis, such as pandemics. So what do we think of this quote from the Sunday Herald this morning, regarding whether certain Royal papers should be released. In this case it should be noted that the papers already belong to belong to the tax payer but we’re not allowed to see the content.

Protecting the dignity of the Queen and working members of the royal family by protecting their privacy in truly private matters preserves their ability to discharge their duties in their fundamental and central constitutional role, not least of unifying the nations (as was seen during the depths of the current pandemic). Roger Smethurst, head of knowledge and information at the Cabinet Office.

On other words, if we know what they were really like in private, we’d never be taken in by their idealised images. They need to keep some things secret because they don’t fit with the image they want to portray.

Thoughts?

MissAdventure Fri 03-Dec-21 16:26:38

I do like a story with a happy ending.
smile

Grany Fri 03-Dec-21 16:07:28

Alegrias1

Aye, I've said it before and I'll say it again...

Not all its cracked up to be, this democracy malarkey.

Much better to trust in our betters and to rely on a rich, privileged family who think a hard day's work is going to 2 polo matches in one day.

Well Said

Grany Fri 03-Dec-21 16:07:00

Alegrias1

And there came a day that all the people in the Kingdom came to realise that having a Head of State whose ancestors had been good at fighting a thousand years ago is such an old fashioned idea that they couldn't live with it any longer. They finally understood that having their country's image defined by little old ladies/men in ermine with pointy, jewelled hats wasn't the actions of a grown up country.

So they all got together and asked the old chap in the ermine if he would please go and live in one of his many houses and not bother opening things and signing things any more, because they wanted a person who was more like them and knew how to squeeze their own toothpaste.

And the old chap in ermine said thank goodness and toddled off to a quiet retirement while the people chose one of their own to shake hands with presidents and be the face of the country.

And they all lived happily ever after.

wink

Bravo ?

Alegrias1 Fri 03-Dec-21 16:05:08

Like I said, best get rid of this democracy lark. People can't be trusted. Best just stick with the posh folks, they'll see us right.

And we'll be chancing that again in a couple of years, because that's how electing people to parliament works.

Just listen to what you're saying!! grin

MaizieD Fri 03-Dec-21 16:02:13

Left to choose, Alegrias, 'the people' chose Boris Johnson. I couldn't live with the thought of chancing that level of stupidity again.

Alegrias1 Fri 03-Dec-21 15:57:55

Aye, I've said it before and I'll say it again...

Not all its cracked up to be, this democracy malarkey.

Much better to trust in our betters and to rely on a rich, privileged family who think a hard day's work is going to 2 polo matches in one day.

MaizieD Fri 03-Dec-21 15:54:57

while the people chose one of their own to shake hands with presidents and be the face of the country.

That's the bit that worries me the most.

Alegrias1 Fri 03-Dec-21 15:31:42

And there came a day that all the people in the Kingdom came to realise that having a Head of State whose ancestors had been good at fighting a thousand years ago is such an old fashioned idea that they couldn't live with it any longer. They finally understood that having their country's image defined by little old ladies/men in ermine with pointy, jewelled hats wasn't the actions of a grown up country.

So they all got together and asked the old chap in the ermine if he would please go and live in one of his many houses and not bother opening things and signing things any more, because they wanted a person who was more like them and knew how to squeeze their own toothpaste.

And the old chap in ermine said thank goodness and toddled off to a quiet retirement while the people chose one of their own to shake hands with presidents and be the face of the country.

And they all lived happily ever after.

wink

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 03-Dec-21 15:10:21

Grany says there won’t be a revolution Calistemon. I’m still trying to work out how it’s going to happen. I expect she will enlighten me.

Lucca Fri 03-Dec-21 15:04:06

Anniebach

Elected head of state ? Brings to mind , Boris or Corbyn ,

Yes , the only possible alternatives to a monarch obviously.

I feel your pain Alegrias !!

Alegrias1 Fri 03-Dec-21 14:41:36

grin

Calistemon Fri 03-Dec-21 14:36:11

Don't worry, Alegrias you can do a Barbados come the revolution.
smile

Headbanging to We Will Rock You by HM (sorry, Queen)

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 03-Dec-21 14:33:48

Love it Alegrias???

Alegrias1 Fri 03-Dec-21 14:32:30

Anniebach Fri 03-Dec-21 14:30:09

Elected head of state ? Brings to mind , Boris or Corbyn ,

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 03-Dec-21 14:13:31

I don’t see this imaginary peaceful non-revolution happening. I can still enjoy dreaming up suitable punishments for the non-revolutionaries though.?

Aveline Fri 03-Dec-21 14:01:09

In fantasy land

Grany Fri 03-Dec-21 13:48:40

There will be no revolution ?

Our newly elected Head of State will be sworn in, the monarch will leave office.

A written constitution fully elected House of Lords, taking what we have and making it democratic.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 02-Dec-21 17:55:24

Hanged, drawn and quartered. Burned at the stake. And I’m sure many more. The ballot paper will have to be quite large!

Chestnut Thu 02-Dec-21 17:25:23

But the traitors have had even more gruesome methods of disposal than the monarchs, and there are too many to name!

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 01-Dec-21 22:06:07

?

Anniebach Wed 01-Dec-21 21:59:40

Hope grany will say her choice of execution

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 01-Dec-21 19:35:08

So many things for the revolutionaries to choose from! Will there be enough space on the ballot paper? I rather favour the poker, provided the pathologist (if one is needed) can be bribed of course!

eazybee Wed 01-Dec-21 15:19:34

smothered in the Tower: Edward V (not Henry VI)

eazybee Wed 01-Dec-21 15:17:54

Some ways of disposing of an English monarch:

Hacked to death in battle: Harold
Shot by an arrow in the New Forest; William Rufus;
skewered by a red hot poker; Edward 1I;
starved to death in a dungeon; Richard II;
stabbed in a prison cell; Henry VI;
smothered in the Tower; Henry VI;
hacked to death in battle; Richard III;
beheaded; Charles I;
also:
fled into exile: James II;