Gransnet forums

News & politics

Relationship between France and UK

(187 Posts)
Kali2 Sat 04-Dec-21 10:03:11

From an excellent article by Simon Jenkins, this from a former French Embassador to the UK:

........''Sadly, I feel Brexit has changed all this – and rivalries that were once largely convivial have turned sour and unfriendly.

France has been repeatedly accused of wanting to punish the UK for Brexit. The French position is simply that the decision to leave the European Union has made the UK a ““third country” – not a punishment but a term defined in EU treaties, with many legal and regulatory consequences. The French government and public opinion alike are irritated by what seems like Johnson’s determination to have his cake and eat it.''........

mokryna Sat 04-Dec-21 12:21:51

Kali2 Thé Twitter clip explains it all
Like those I know who voted for Brexit and immediately looked into their family history to find an EU relative so that they could travel with ease, I got a French one, (but I wasn’t allowed to vote). So when French people say your PM, I reply, he’s not mine, I am French.
Just thought, I have never had any French person here make a reflection on this matter.
I don’t think anyone can work with Boris because history shows he cannot be trusted even if he has signed the papers.

MaizieD Sat 04-Dec-21 12:26:09

Smileless2012

Historical fact is not "a load of guff" Maizie if it doesn't matter then why did you bring it up in the first place? A pathetic opening line to your post @ 10.44.

I asked you why the English would need to get over the Napoleonic wars. A rather pathetic attempt on your part, to call me pathetic, to avoid a perfectly reasonable question based on your post.

If it doesn't matter then don't mention it.

Oh, gawd. It was a throwaway line to suggest that some English antipathy to the French goes back a long long way.

Why it should be important to you to point out that the English had a hand in beating them at the battle of Waterloo (it was an Allied army, of which the British was not a major component)?

MerylStreep Sat 04-Dec-21 12:26:30

Kali2
Do you live in Europe Do you live in the uk?
From my experience here in the uk I can assure you that the butcher, the baker, the candle stick maker, Uncle Tom cobbly and all are not talking about it and if we wanted to call Boris every expletive under the sun we wouldn’t cover our faces. We would shout it loud and proud.

tickingbird Sat 04-Dec-21 12:27:54

Kali. 'on ne peut pas avoir le beurre et l'argent du beurre' you can't (still) have the butter and the money (as you have sold it)...

Being pedantic here but it actually translates as “We can’t have the butter AND the butter money”.

Smileless2012 Sat 04-Dec-21 12:35:36

It was as important to me as it was to you to mention it to begin with Maizie and it would appear, also important to you to mention that it was "an Allied army, of which the British was not a major component".

Mamie Sat 04-Dec-21 12:42:55

Sorry Kali2 but which bit of my post suggests my experience is very different from yours?
I said that the people I talk to think he is a clown and not a serious politician.
However I don't think people are obsessed by it. Why would they be? I think that shows up in the level of TV reporting too.

Namsnanny Sat 04-Dec-21 12:49:51

The relationship between France and UK is only of interest to those who want to generate column inches in the press.

paddyann54 Sat 04-Dec-21 13:25:46

for "UK " read England ,I dont know any Scot ,Irish or Welsh person who complains about "the French" not now or any time in my 67 years

Coastpath Sat 04-Dec-21 13:32:03

Lincslass

Coastpath

Because to keep trotting out nonsense about wars that ended centuries ago makes us look really ridiculous, gloating and as though nothing positive has happened since for us to be proud of.

Who is trotting that out, oh yes a remainer commentator no one else.

My post was in direct response to another post in which the fact that 'we won the war' was mentioned. The subject was also explored on here on another post recently - and also this for example twitter.com/Jacob_Rees_Mogg/status/1455608415154225157

Kali2 Sat 04-Dec-21 13:43:53

tickingbird

*Kali*. 'on ne peut pas avoir le beurre et l'argent du beurre' you can't (still) have the butter and the money (as you have sold it)...

Being pedantic here but it actually translates as “We can’t have the butter AND the butter money”.

Well yes, as a professional translator, I am fully aware that word for word translations are rarely appropriate.

Kali2 Sat 04-Dec-21 13:45:31

Mamie

Sorry Kali2 but which bit of my post suggests my experience is very different from yours?
I said that the people I talk to think he is a clown and not a serious politician.
However I don't think people are obsessed by it. Why would they be? I think that shows up in the level of TV reporting too.

This bit Mamie ''I don't get the impression that people in France give the UK much thought to be honest. ''

as it is not my experience at all.

MaizieD Sat 04-Dec-21 13:50:32

Smileless2012

It was as important to me as it was to you to mention it to begin with Maizie and it would appear, also important to you to mention that it was "an Allied army, of which the British was not a major component".

I've told you why I mentioned it.

I'm very curious as to why you thought it necessary to point out that the British were on the 'winning' side?

Had to laugh at the JRM tweet that Coastpath linked to. Some Brits have indeed never got over the Napoleonic wars. And Agincourt, FGS grin

Mamie Sat 04-Dec-21 13:53:17

Strangely enough JRM seemed not to have heard of Hastings. Funny that.

Urmstongran Sat 04-Dec-21 13:54:38

The world loves a trier.
Kali2 you are obsessed by Brexit & Boris. ?

You do make me chuckle with your intensity. Are you sure your friends discuss it constantly or is it you who brings up the topic to which they very politely respond?

My money’s on the latter!

Namsnanny Sat 04-Dec-21 14:13:32

paddyann54

for "UK " read England ,I dont know any Scot ,Irish or Welsh person who complains about "the French" not now or any time in my 67 years

Well I was referring to those with skin in the game.
Not those of us on the side lines. Hence the 'column inches' expression. Meaning those who look to gain attention through the media.

Kali2 Sat 04-Dec-21 14:46:46

Urmstongran

The world loves a trier.
Kali2 you are obsessed by Brexit & Boris. ?

You do make me chuckle with your intensity. Are you sure your friends discuss it constantly or is it you who brings up the topic to which they very politely respond?

My money’s on the latter!

You can put your money where you like ...

Yes, they know how much it means to us, and how it affects us in so many ways- and probably the reason why they always mention it. As said, people from very very different backgrounds, some who are interested and knowledgeable,, and others, like my neighbours, who don't understand all the issues, but know a clown when they see one.

Seems like you are totally obsessed with supporting Brexit and Johnson - but do not have any good points to list about either of them. Still never seen any list from any of you Brexiters re positives about Brexit- apart from 'he got Brexit done' (even if we go to hell with it).

Hastings always make me laugh- as it was never about the 'French and the English' but about ruling over England by a Viking who had settled in France, and another Viking cousin in England.

Josianne Sat 04-Dec-21 15:20:41

know a clown when they see one.
Actually Kali the French press and other French publications are often obsessed with applying the word "clown" to prominent figures across The Channel. Maybe that is where your neighbours are picking up the idea. From my own reading I know that Prince Charles has occasionally been referred to as a clown by the French. Likewise Biden called Trump a clown, Angela Merkel used the word too I think to describe an incompetent Italian politician. Maybe it's just the "in" word, I wouldn't get too hung up on Boris being given that label.
Oh, and not all clowns are fools.

Kali2 Sat 04-Dec-21 15:28:03

Yes, they call him a lot more than a fool- cover their eyes, tap their head and say 'vraiment toc toc' - a 'cloon' (as it is pronounced) is the most polite term they use- I wouldn't dare print the others (2 of them start with 'c' too).

Katie59 Sat 04-Dec-21 15:33:25

I’m just amazed that anyone is surprised that the EU rules have to be complied with, we decided to leave their system and invent our own rules.
It’s going to get worse as we diverge, we now have a new UK safety system to replace the “CE” standard, that’s a total waste of time. Because nothing will be legal in EU, in practice all manufacturers will use the CE standard, madness.

Josianne Sat 04-Dec-21 15:33:59

Maybe we use the term "a clown" universally to describe so many politicians, because politics itself is very much like a circus?

halfpint1 Sat 04-Dec-21 15:38:41

I think it's a good/politer way to describe a flamborant/useless leader

MaizieD Sat 04-Dec-21 15:42:38

Josianne

Maybe we use the term "a clown" universally to describe so many politicians, because politics itself is very much like a circus?

I wouldn't use 'clown' to describe any politicians other than Johnson. There are far more appropriate ways to describe other politicians.

The big problem is that Johnson has always had a clown persona and people in the UK actually like him for it.

Josianne Sat 04-Dec-21 15:51:57

Yes, Maizie and of course his name is very close to that of Bozo the most famous clown ever.

Kali2 Sat 04-Dec-21 15:57:40

A European army would be the perfect way to solve the issues in Calais and Dunkirk and crossings, no? Brilliant idea.

No Josianne, I did mean 'the whole world' not 'tout le monde?.

Dinahmo Sat 04-Dec-21 16:03:33

Shortly after the Referendum we mentioned the result to some French friends. The first response was " we thought that the English don't like talking about politics" and were surprised when told that we often did. Hearing and reading some of the comments concerning the Bexley by election it seems that many English just aren't interested and I just don't get it. To me politics and who is in power can affect our lives for many years.

The French, certainly the ones that we know, are more knowledgeable about UK politics than many Brits are. They were very fond of imitating the lamented Speaker John Bercow. They do think that Johnson is an idiot and/or clown but, short of agreeing with them, there is not much that we can say. Better things to talk about.

The only thing that really gets up their noses are the resident Brits who voted for Brexit - there are a few couples in our commune and they don't speak to the pro Europeans. One lady said that the pro Brexit Brits made her angry with their talk about the quality of life, how much land they have and how big their houses are.