Gransnet forums

News & politics

Responses from your constiuency MPs to the parties - are they satisfactory?

(12 Posts)
Mollygo Tue 18-Jan-22 00:22:11

Haven’t written this time. The only time I ever got a good response was when it came from a young man I had taught in the days when that was my job. Round here, it seems to be a race to see which party can ignore you longest. I’d be quite impressed if I got a response as detailed as the OP.

MayBee70 Mon 17-Jan-22 23:45:47

Still waiting for a reply from mine….

silverlining48 Mon 17-Jan-22 18:55:21

To be fair to our MP has responded to my letters and emails. Always long and detailed replies but mostly blah blah blah.
I don’t vote for him but like to keep him on his toes.

Kali2 Mon 17-Jan-22 18:47:14

I think their policy is 'don't reply, it will only encourage them'!

M0nica Mon 17-Jan-22 16:58:40

We had local Conservative party supporters canvassing on Saturday! DH spoke to them, and just said we did not support their party, and that was really all.

I have given up trying to contact either my current or previous Conservative MPs, beyond the automatic acknowledgement saying they will reply within a fortnight, I have never had a reply from them.

GillT57 Mon 17-Jan-22 10:59:52

This is the bulk of the email received from mine:

Obviously, I am reflecting on the situation and a lot of the time I feel very angry, frustrated and let down.

A great deal depends upon the outcome of the investigation being conducted by the impartial civil servant, who has worked both for Labour and Conservative governments in the past.

I think most Conservative MPs will pause for thought, and at least wait until the outcome of the investigation is published, which I believe will be quite soon. There are other hugely challenging issues facing the government: we are still struggling with Covid, facing a cost-of-living crisis, and Russia is threatening war in Europe.

This is not to dismiss what you have written in your email, the personal anguish which has been caused. The Prime Minister was certainly right to apologise for that.

GillT57 Mon 17-Jan-22 10:57:07

Well, Tom Hunt was a bit more critical in his response than my ERG member was. I got a quick reply to be fair, but it was the usual 'I understand your anger and disappointment, but let's wait for the Grey report'. Oh, and then a quick puff about how well the PM had handled the pandemic which seems to be the official line at the moment. He will be getting another email this morning from me.

Dinahmo Mon 17-Jan-22 10:50:15

So, they can't even think for themselves occasionally. I was surprised, however, to read that Tom Hunt was appalled at the culture and thinks that there should be a clear out of Number 10. Would that include the PM?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 17-Jan-22 08:43:55

Helps them not to think

silverlining48 Sun 16-Jan-22 22:45:56

I wrote to my conservative MP and got a very similar reply from him. Looks like it’s a template for all,

Chocolatelovinggran Sun 16-Jan-22 21:59:05

I have had a similar, cautiously worded letter from my ( Conservative) MP.

Dinahmo Sun 16-Jan-22 21:25:14

This is from, Tom Hunt, an Ipswich MP/ It used to be Labour but went over to Tory a few years ago. He's quite quick off the mark. Have any of you received a similar email yet. It's rather long but you can skin through it.

"I would firstly like apologise for not commenting sooner on the events of the past week. The developments have been very significant and have come very thick and fast and I've been reflecting on everything and reading the many emails I've been receiving and continue to receive from constituents. Over Friday and Saturday, I was also able to talk to a large number of constituents face to face about all these matters.
Sometimes I think it's best not to rush into an instant response on issues of such significance. I know this is difficult in our 24/7 social media age but sometimes I think its for the best.

With regard to the ongoing revelations to do with the culture in Downing Street throughout the pandemic I must say that I've been appalled. It seems that at times Number 10 seemed to better represent a frat house than the centre of Government. The fact that a big bash was organised the night before Prince Phillip's funeral fills me with disgust. This is not an isolated example of modest rule breaking. It's clear to me that whatever happens there needs to be almost a total clear out of Number 10 and all of those who were in anyway connected with what appear to be clear rule breaking events need to properly held to account.
Some constituents have asked me in emails whether I attended any of these parties. The answer is NO. I've found out about these party revelations in the same way you all have. Via the media.

The Prime Minister was right to apologise in Parliament last Wednesday. Clearly the fact that he attended the May 2020 event however briefly was a significant error of judgement. I understand that the Prime Minister didn't receive an invitation to what was clearly a social event, but it should have been instantly clear to him that not only should he be nowhere near such an event but that he should have broken it up immediately and ensured that all those responsible were disciplined.
I'm finding it difficult to reconcile the comments the Prime Minister made in the House of Commons Chamber on Wednesday about the party revelations compared with what he had previously said in the Chamber about the party revelations. This is a significant cause of concern to me like it will be to many of my constituents.

Yes, the Government has got much right recently particularly on COVID management where I feel the Prime Minister has been vindicated by his decision to not introduce further restrictions. I also credit the Prime Minister with delivering Brexit but standards in public life matter as does public trust in our Prime Minister and Government.

I'm acutely conscious of all the sacrifices my constituents have made throughout the pandemic and how painful this has been for many. I would argue that the onus is on those who make the rules to follow them to an even greater extent than the average citizen. I experienced the anger that is provoked when this is not the case over the Barnard Castle incident and have again over this week's developments.
As many of you will be aware Sue Gray the civil servant is currently carrying out an independent investigation into all what went out and should be publishing her findings next week. I know enough now about what happened to be very angry but in the grand scheme of things waiting few days to read the full report that will follow the investigation isn't a long time and I'm prepared to do that.

My wish is for the Government to be fully focused on the issues that matter the most to the country and my constituents. Moving on from COVID, getting the economy firing on all cylinders, dealing with the NHS backlog, cost of living, immigration, law and order etc. To say that all events of the past few weeks has been an unwelcome distraction would be an understatement.
I will comment further in due course and everyone who has emailed me will be getting a response which closely resembles this statement (for obvious reasons)