Gransnet forums

News & politics

Energy costs, the way we were, and how we might cope today.

(140 Posts)
Rosina Mon 17-Jan-22 10:20:10

Several articles in the news this morning concerning people's fears about rising energy costs set me thinking about a childhood spent with one coal fire in the sitting room, and no heating whatsoever in the rest of the house. This was a way of life for everyone as I grew up, and while I'm certainly not advocating a return to cold houses, what do others think about how warm we need to be? The sick, babies and small children clearly need warmth, but as for fit young people and adults - do we need the amount of all round warmth that we live with now, or is this a luxury we could cut back on quite drastically?

karmalady Sun 30-Jan-22 07:16:44

The hot weather last summer/autumn never helped, we didn`t have a chance to adapt. Bodies do adapt to temperature but it is not a quick process in the elderly and ill. It makes sense to keep ourselves insulated, to keep our body-produced warmth in. Thin layers are much better than one thick layer, the air between layers is also an insulator. Wool is a hugely good natural insulator for our bodies

Soon we will have the reverse ie how to stay cool and that is a much more difficult situation to overcome

Re wool: there are different breeds of sheep producing wool suitable for clothing. Wool has a different staple length, depending on the breed and age. Lambswool has a very short staple and the ends are what causes the itch, they protrude all over the garment. Lambswool tops are the cheapest but the itchiest. I need to wear a camisole with lambswool. Merino is soft and warm, it may or may not be itchy, depends on the thickness of the staple and which part of the sheep it came from. Wool blend with long staples added tends not to be itchy

Caleo Sat 29-Jan-22 14:34:34

Can't remember which gran recommended two vests but I tried two vests and what a success! They made me comfortable during a sneezy shivery cold, now nearly better.

M0nica Sun 23-Jan-22 22:12:54

Someone in the papers today was recommending a kitchen foil hat. It looked a bit like the hany tied at the corners, beloved of men in the beach c 1950s.

Hetty58 Sun 23-Jan-22 20:37:40

CBBL:

'I can only suggest that those of you with cats and dogs, should perhaps consider letting them sleep on the bed'

Just you try getting them off (or out of) mine! Dogs have a higher body temperature than us - very nice in the small of your back or behind your knees. The cat stays on top of the covers, though, right next to my feet.

Hetty58 Sun 23-Jan-22 20:31:05

Today, gardening, so fleecy PJ bottoms under loose trousers - lovely. I don't mind roomy leggings but I've given the tight ones to the charity shop, too restricting.

Thermal long-sleeved top, then jumper and finally a shirt - to keep all the heat in. Outside, my garden hat and 'gilet' (old faux sheepskin coat, with sleeves removed).

Caleo Sun 23-Jan-22 20:13:38

Leggings and joggers. Wool jumper and polar fleece long cardi. Fleece insoles. Two long thick scarves. One dog.

BBbevan Sat 22-Jan-22 16:19:54

Thermal vest and big jumper on top, thermal leggings and cords below, plus thick socks. Toasty warm

Callistemon21 Sat 22-Jan-22 16:11:28

I'm wearing a sweater with wool in it as well as alpaca yarn - it's warm but I am itching! It seems to be shedding fibres too.

ExDancer Sat 22-Jan-22 15:17:44

Lol, I am NOT naked from the waist down! Yes I AM wearing jeans at the moment. Should have proofread it.

ExDancer Sat 22-Jan-22 15:16:03

How many layers are you wearing folks?
At the moment I have 2 x vests, 1 blouse, 2 x jumpers and a sleeveless gilet, as I sit in front of my fire.
My legs are cold so tomorrow I'll put some leggings (which I hate) under my jeans.
Then its just a scarf and hat and I'm done!
My husband has property so we cannot claim govt benefits.

Callistemon21 Sat 22-Jan-22 15:15:51

I have a lovely china one.
It's got a pot plant in it

BBbevan Sat 22-Jan-22 15:09:27

Oh yes! You could always smell it in my Nan’s bedroom.

Callistemon21 Sat 22-Jan-22 15:06:47

BBbevan

And an outside toilet. Freezing and a walk in the dark before bed.

And the gazunder!

Callistemon21 Sat 22-Jan-22 15:05:32

vegansrock

And paraffin heaters - ugh .

I'd forgotten those. We only used one occasionally but my Dad had one in the greenhouse too.

Oldnproud Sat 22-Jan-22 14:59:05

vegansrock

When I was about eight, while getting dried after my bath, I burnt my bum on a paraffin heater that my dad had put in the bathroom on that particularly cold winter's evening. I still have the mole that developed after the burn!

M0nica Sat 22-Jan-22 07:59:58

Whether you have double or triple glazing, line your curtains and draw them close as soon as it gets dark.

I am always amazed by the number of houses that at night have all the lights on and the curtains undrawn. I enjoy the view it gives of their decor, but wonder about their heating bills.

BigBertha1 Sat 22-Jan-22 06:30:39

That should have said turning off lights

BigBertha1 Sat 22-Jan-22 06:29:52

Our bills have gone up too and while we are lucky enough to afford it and if I'm not kept reasonably warm I seize up. But we are making economies on our possibly wasteful use so turned the heating down a bit, unplugged all the things that are usually left on standby and although I like the house to be very well lit we are turning off things like the many many local gets in our kitchen when we aren't in there. Ill be very interested to see if it makes a difference to our consumption.

vegansrock Sat 22-Jan-22 05:40:24

BBbevan Sat 22-Jan-22 05:28:06

And an outside toilet. Freezing and a walk in the dark before bed.

Dinahmo Fri 21-Jan-22 17:42:23

Remember Three Dog Night? The name derives from the number of dogs required to sleep on the bed if it's very cold. I have an electric blanket and one dog sleeps across the bottom. She keeps my feet warm.

AGAA4 Fri 21-Jan-22 17:11:05

Those were the days! Freezing cold mornings, dreading getting out of bed and putting my feet on the lino, which felt like ice.
Rushing downstairs where mum would have a small electric fire and getting dressed by its small amount of heat. The only other heating was the coal fire which would be lit later.

I just hope nobody has to feel that cold again.

effalump Fri 21-Jan-22 16:54:32

Rosina that brings back some memories. The days of single glazed windows that had ice on the inside during winter. Did you have one night of the week that was 'bath Night' and dad got in first, then mum, then kids with the 'baby' last. Those times were hard, but I can definitely say, we were happy.

Hetty58 Thu 20-Jan-22 10:32:24

MayBeMaw my electric blanket is only 150 Watts - and cycles on and off so uses very little. I can be left on, but usually I just warm the bed before getting in. When it's very chilly, I leave the foot and leg end on low - it's lovely.

Having a little dog constantly beside you (and in the bed at night) is such a comfort too! 18C is fine for me - if there are no draughts - so a good door curtain is a must.

Hetty58 Thu 20-Jan-22 09:36:51

LucyW, I worry about you - with no hot water. Is there somewhere else you could go to get showered and changed? My son used the local pool or gym when he was renovating a house.