Gransnet forums

News & politics

Nicola Sturgeon vows to start process of second independence referendum

(283 Posts)
Urmstongran Sun 23-Jan-22 19:38:11

Asked by the BBC's Sophie Raworth this morning when the legislation would be tabled, Ms Sturgeon said: “The preparatory work for that is underway right now. We haven’t decided on the date that we would seek to introduce the Bill. We’ll decide that in the coming weeks.

“But my intention is to take the steps that will facilitate a referendum happening before the end of 2023."

She won’t give up. I think it’s a dead duck.
Any thoughts?

Callistemon21 Mon 31-Jan-22 11:37:39

Petera

Callistemon21

Well, at least it would stop people worrying about other, less important matters, like Covid, wars, no gas for heating, food prices etc.
Keep them occupied with endless referenda.

It's competent government that allows us to deal with these less important matters.

There are always 'more important' problems; that's just an excuse for inaction.

confused

Kali2 Mon 31-Jan-22 11:20:43

JenniferEccles

These frequent referendums would have to be constantly hailed as ‘fraudulent’ though of course just to add to the drama.

Just depends if they are run properly, or fraudulent, or not!?!

Petera Mon 31-Jan-22 11:05:42

Callistemon21

Well, at least it would stop people worrying about other, less important matters, like Covid, wars, no gas for heating, food prices etc.

It's competent government that allows us to deal with these less important matters.

There are always 'more important' problems; that's just an excuse for inaction.

Callistemon21 Mon 31-Jan-22 10:41:02

Mollygo Mon 31-Jan-22 09:41:31

Callistemon21 and JenniferEccles I’m glad to see you’re entering into the spirit of the idea. If the vote doesn’t go your way, it’s fraudulent. If you’ve agreed to a one off referendum, you’re allowed to change your mind. If the referendums cost the public too much that’s another complaint BUT in the interests of saving money, if we know these claims and demands are going to happen, we could reuse the posters and leaflets

JenniferEccles Mon 31-Jan-22 08:50:24

These frequent referendums would have to be constantly hailed as ‘fraudulent’ though of course just to add to the drama.

Alegrias1 Mon 31-Jan-22 08:47:02

The SNP are not synonymous with people who want independence.

The use of the word "separatists" is getting very tired and is clearly designed to demonise independence supporters.

If you don't support SNP governance, vote for another party of government after independence.

I don't know much about Eire, but I believe many of their problems were associated with a colonial power refusing them self determination. Sound familiar?

Aveline Mon 31-Jan-22 08:33:59

Ireland was in deep recession for decades after the split. Who would want that for a country they loved?
The division between the unionists and the separatists is unbridgeable. The SNP have only been able to make such a mess of key areas and to waste so much public money because the opposition is divided into three different parties. If they combined into a pro unionist vote in the event of another (God forbid) referendum they'd ensure Scotland remained as a part of the UK.

paddyann54 Mon 31-Jan-22 00:40:58

UrmYou do understand the Lib Dems haven't even got enough MSP's to ensure they get a question at FM 's questions? So why would they be the ones (the three) to shape fiscal policy ? Swinson lost her WM seat because she was arrognat enough to believe living in Bath and flying up now and then would keep people happy . Not so,we quite like our MP's to know the area they represent ,we learned that when Churchill was MP in Dundee until they kicked him out .

This country has voted for SNP in increasing numbers for the past decade.I'm sure you dont understand why ,if you did you wouldn't vote Tory.
Anyone know or read Richard Murphy? Read his take on Scotlands finances ,it will open your eyes .We aint too poor ,you need to look south to find the poor est of the 4 nations .We'll be just fine .Scotland WILL flourish .

Callistemon21 Sun 30-Jan-22 23:47:11

Ps we could stagger them, ie one every two years to keep us interested.
There may never be a satisfactory result but at least there's nothing else to worry about, it will keep us happy and occupied.

Callistemon21 Sun 30-Jan-22 23:44:19

We could each have one once in a generation, ie about every 8 years and just keep having them to take our minds off parties (apart from political parties), Covid or other viruses, world events etc.
If the results aren't what one side wants we could argue for years on forums like Gransnet and then have another one.

Does that sound like a plan, Mollygo?

Mollygo Sun 30-Jan-22 23:31:58

Geez it’s getting really nasty now. Here’s a thought.
Why don’t all 4 countries have their own referendum about staying as the UK or not, or more than one referendum if you don’t get the answer you want the first time, since that seems to be the new fashion.
This time, make voting in the referendum (or referendums or even referenda) compulsory so everyone shares the blame or the celebration and everyone would happily accept the outcome as a fair result.hmm

Casdon Sun 30-Jan-22 22:50:06

You’re right Petera.

Petera Sun 30-Jan-22 22:11:22

Casdon

Wales should have our own say about our future as well, we are not a region of England. I wouldn’t expect to have any vote in what the people of Scotland decide to do, and wish good luck to them whatever they decide - I’m sure they will still welcome us up for the rugby.

Wales could have chosen to go with England, to become independent, or to stay with Scotland/NI in an alternative rUK in the EU.

But the deeper point in this is the fact that when you propose this it brings people up short, and nothing could be more illustrative of the fact that this is not an equal partnership in "England's" mind.

Casdon Sun 30-Jan-22 21:35:27

It’s just that we are relentlessly Labour in Wales Petera, we must be twp.

Petera Sun 30-Jan-22 21:30:57

Urmstongran

^Why didn't England just leave the UK, then the EU? That would have solved all the problems^

With Wales too Petera?

What do you see as Wales' problems?

Casdon Sun 30-Jan-22 21:26:46

Wales should have our own say about our future as well, we are not a region of England. I wouldn’t expect to have any vote in what the people of Scotland decide to do, and wish good luck to them whatever they decide - I’m sure they will still welcome us up for the rugby.

Urmstongran Sun 30-Jan-22 21:14:13

Why didn't England just leave the UK, then the EU? That would have solved all the problems

With Wales too Petera?

Petera Sun 30-Jan-22 21:11:07

Aveline

How many of them relied so heavily on direct funding? How many of them were part of our small islands?
You'll never wind up this discussion. Both sides feel so passionately about it.

Juts the one. Ireland. How are they doing by the way?

Petera Sun 30-Jan-22 21:09:13

srn63

I would like the other 3 countries in the UK to have a referendum on wether WE want Scotland to stay in the UK.

Why didn't England just leave the UK, then the EU? That would have solved all the problems.

Alegrias1 Sun 30-Jan-22 21:05:16

That's original.

srn63 Sun 30-Jan-22 20:45:33

I would like the other 3 countries in the UK to have a referendum on wether WE want Scotland to stay in the UK.

Urmstongran Sun 30-Jan-22 20:09:14

Aveline

How many of them relied so heavily on direct funding? How many of them were part of our small islands?

Bit like Brexit.

Alegrias1 Sun 30-Jan-22 20:03:20

We rely on funding from another country apparently. We'd never survive alone. Its for our own good, we're like little children who couldn't run a bath, let alone a country. Thank god for the rUK and their overwhelming generosity.

Aveline Sun 30-Jan-22 19:58:07