Gransnet forums

News & politics

Labour and Lib-Dems sign a non-aggression pact

(226 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 17-Feb-22 09:02:44

Ahead of the next election. FT reporting.

Excellent news.

MaizieD Thu 17-Feb-22 13:15:26

And if we're worried about people's accents, I seem to recall that Harold Wilson had a Lancashire accent. Didn't seem to stop him achieving anything...

winterwhite Thu 17-Feb-22 13:15:44

This is further to Grantanow at 11.59. Since you hark back to the coalition you will recall that Labour under Gordon Brown wanted a support agreement only, offered no cabinet seats and would not budge.
Talking of 'crazy for power' is as senseless as the everlasting Tory whine of everyone else 'playing politics'.
The 2010 election was a bad moment for the Lib Dems: whatever they was bound to would turn out badly. And did.

Casdon Thu 17-Feb-22 13:27:04

I know what the position was in 2019 trisher, and as you’ve demonstrated it was more than 30 seats then even if you take the lowest denominator- but it was a Tory landslide in 2019, which I think we can confidently predict won’t be repeated. This move will make a significant difference.

Visgir1 Thu 17-Feb-22 13:37:18

They need to gain over 125 seats to win outright majority. (Per FT)
Can't really see that happening?

DaisyAnne Thu 17-Feb-22 13:37:36

Germanshepherdsmum

I know about her education but that’s not what it’s all about is it. You can’t wax lyrical about her education whilst lambasting Conservatives with excellent academic achievements. She doesn’t inspire me in the slightest. Nor does anyone sitting on Starmer’s front bench.

But wouldn't the opposition front bench have to one that comprises only Tories for you to be inspired by them?

Hopefully that can be achieved grin

MaizieD Thu 17-Feb-22 13:43:07

I don't quite understand your post, DaisyAnne

What do you hope can be achieved? A front bench of tories? You'd like the tories to be returned to power? hmm

MayBee70 Thu 17-Feb-22 13:45:40

At last. Labour and the LibDems always worked together years ago when my constituency was held by Labour.

Casdon Thu 17-Feb-22 13:48:01

Daisymae is straight out of the knife drawer MaizieD, that was a really funny comment. If the opposition front bench was all Tories they would have lost the election!

DaisyAnne Thu 17-Feb-22 14:12:18

Thanks Casdon.

Maudi Thu 17-Feb-22 14:42:48

11:46Germanshepherdsmum

What makes you think Angela Rayner is suitable wwm? Other world leaders tend to have had an education and not call one another ‘scum’. She’s an embarrassment as soon as she opens her mouth - or ‘gob’ as she would probably say.

I agree GSM it beggars belief doesn't it that the Starmer lovers think non educated Angela Rayner, Starmer's Deputy is OK, but the likes of Liz Truss and Co are not. Imagine Angela on the world stage perhaps she is hoping to wow them with her hair extensions but when she opens her mouth we'd be sunk ?

Maudi Thu 17-Feb-22 14:52:34

3:00growstuff

Germanshepherdsmum

I know about her education but that’s not what it’s all about is it. You can’t wax lyrical about her education whilst lambasting Conservatives with excellent academic achievements. She doesn’t inspire me in the slightest. Nor does anyone sitting on Starmer’s front bench.^

^That's your problem! If you're inspired by the Conservative front bench, you have a huge problem! hmm^

I think it's you who have a problem if you are inspired by Angela Rayner a big problem.

Casdon Thu 17-Feb-22 14:54:46

Sorry DaisyAnne, I got your name wrong.

Maudi if you actually read other peoples posts you would know that not all Labour supporters are fans of Angela Rayner, just as not all Tory supporters are fans of Boris Johnson. We aren’t a homogenous group, it’s not far Left v far Right you know. I have to say though, I don’t think I’ve seen anybody on any threads from either political persuasion defending Liz Truss, she’s a car crash in any language.

MaizieD Thu 17-Feb-22 14:56:41

Casdon

Daisymae is straight out of the knife drawer MaizieD, that was a really funny comment. If the opposition front bench was all Tories they would have lost the election!

I'm blushing... blush

Whitewavemark2 Thu 17-Feb-22 15:04:23

??

flump Thu 17-Feb-22 15:17:22

Germanshepherdsmum and Maudi Please define "being educated".

MayBee70 Thu 17-Feb-22 15:30:41

It’s easy to get to the top when you have a privileged upbringing. It takes something special to achieve what Angela has done.

Gossamerbeynon1945 Thu 17-Feb-22 15:39:25

Does either of the party leaders know what a cervix is yet?

GillT57 Thu 17-Feb-22 15:44:28

Imagine Angela on the world stage perhaps she is hoping to wow them with her hair extensions but when she opens her mouth we'd be sunk ?

You can put all the smiley faces on your post, but it is still nasty and bitchy.

GillT57 Thu 17-Feb-22 15:44:57

Gossamerbeynon1945

Does either of the party leaders know what a cervix is yet?

Johnson certainly does.

Gossamerbeynon1945 Thu 17-Feb-22 16:32:30

I certainly hope someone does!

Callistemon21 Thu 17-Feb-22 16:39:25

Ah well, here it will mean that the extremely sensible LibDem candidate will probably withdraw in favour of the aggressive (was Corbynite) Labour candidate.

I might abstain.

Callistemon21 Thu 17-Feb-22 16:58:59

MaizieD

And if we're worried about people's accents, I seem to recall that Harold Wilson had a Lancashire accent. Didn't seem to stop him achieving anything...

Sharp intake of breath!! grin

Harold Wilson was from Yorkshire (Cowlersley) , won a scholarship to grammar school in Huddersfield, then on to Oxford University.

He still had his Yorkshire accent.

Curlywhirly Thu 17-Feb-22 17:03:48

GillT57

^Imagine Angela on the world stage perhaps she is hoping to wow them with her hair extensions but when she opens her mouth we'd be sunk ?^

You can put all the smiley faces on your post, but it is still nasty and bitchy.

I agree Gill57 I wonder if Angela Rayner spoke with a posh (a la Rees-Mogg) accent, would she be deemed more suitable to speak on the world stage? Me thinks snobbery is at play here.

LtEve Thu 17-Feb-22 17:05:22

I'm very pleased to hear this. I have lived in 2 very safe tory seats recently (one was Michael Gove's constituency ) and have felt like my vote was fairly useless. At least now those who do not wish to vote conservative may have their voices heard and possibly give the incumbent a bit of a shock.

Grantanow Thu 17-Feb-22 17:16:10

It's true. winterwhite, that Gordon B proved less than flexible when negotiating with the LibDems - not offering them Cabinet seats, etc., - but I think they joined the Tories in coalition because it was their last hope of high office (and all the things that go with that - Cabinet seats, red boxes, Ministerial salaries and chauffeured government cars, e.g., not to mention the kind of profile that leads on to highly paid directorships like Clegg obtained). In my view they achieved little in Coalition and propped up a Tory-led government which has given us Brexit and Johnson, both unmitigated disasters. It's also true that Labour shot itself in the foot by electing JC. More generally, if politics is subject to footballification as some claim we seem to be watching the 3rd elevens on all sides.