Gransnet forums

News & politics

11 year old travels 750 km

(12 Posts)
Antonia Tue 08-Mar-22 14:32:05

I was almost in tears at today's BBC news report of a Ukrainian boy who travelled alone to safety. He had a bag, his passport and a relative's phone number written on his hand.
His poor mother must have been so desperate. I can't even imagine having to send my child to travel on their own such a long way.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 08-Mar-22 14:41:46

Why was he alone?

BlueBelle Tue 08-Mar-22 14:46:26

Because his mother was not able to leave her infirm elderly mum and she thought it safer for him to be safe alone than dead with her The ultimate sacrifice I hope they get reunited

Ilovecheese Tue 08-Mar-22 15:24:09

Awful decision to have to make. I guess the elderly and infirm mum is not in possession of her faculties or she would have insisted that the boys mother went with him.

tanith Tue 08-Mar-22 15:30:18

He is now safe with relatives in Slovakia, what a brave little boy.

Casdon Tue 08-Mar-22 15:30:34

That must have been an agonising decision for his mum, but at least he’s safe and she knows he’s made it. I hope they are soon reunited.

AGAA4 Tue 08-Mar-22 16:08:06

What an awful dilemma for that mother. I'm so glad he made it to safety. A very brave boy.

Judy54 Tue 08-Mar-22 16:37:54

It was not just about her elderly Mum, She also has other younger children to care for and made the decision that they could not all go and leave her Mother behind ( the Mother was to frail to make the journey). The young Boy is now safe with relatives and has spoken to his Mother. She made the ultimate sacrifice in knowing that she was doing what was best for him under such dreadful circumstances.

sodapop Tue 08-Mar-22 16:56:21

I can't imagine what it takes to make a decision like that. Brave lady and brave boy.
Let's hope it's not too long before they are all together again.

Hetty58 Tue 08-Mar-22 17:03:10

What a terrifying and heartbreaking situation to be in. I'm just hoping for a swift end to this awful invasion - and Putin too.

Chewbacca Tue 08-Mar-22 17:12:44

I've just wept watching a little girl sweetly singing the theme tune from Frozen whilst hiding with dozens of others in a basement.

Callistemon21 Tue 08-Mar-22 20:46:22

I saw that yesterday, Chewbacca, another moment to weep and feel helpless as she shelters in Kyiv.

Thank goodness that little boy arrived and is safe with his relatives.