Gransnet forums

News & politics

Why vote Liberal Democrat?

(11 Posts)
varian Tue 15-Mar-22 13:03:38

So many people, especially those who get their news from the right-wing media, think that their choice in elections is only between Conservative and Labour. Some say they don't know anything about the Liberal Democrats.

Here is a chance to find out more about our Liberal Democrats, a sister party of President Zelensky's party.

www.libdems.org.uk/ed-davey-speech-s22

M0nica Tue 15-Mar-22 13:08:32

Why not?

FarNorth Tue 15-Mar-22 13:17:41

I see no mention of the LibDem policy of support for self-identification of sex.
In Scotland, particularly, this is an important current issue and voters should be made aware of their representatives' stance on it.

www.scotlibdems.org.uk/campaigns

www.libdems.org.uk/campaigns

Kim19 Tue 15-Mar-22 13:17:51

I was keen to learn as I'm currently floundering politically. However this seems more of a sales pitch than an information p!atform. Current stumbling blocks for me are Ed Davey whom I find somewhat inept and my recollection of their poor performance in coalition. Yoiks!

varian Tue 15-Mar-22 13:34:08

Ed Davey was an excellent minister for Energy and Climate Change in the Coalition government, enacting progressive LibDem policies in the face of Tory resistance.

SueDonim Tue 15-Mar-22 13:38:43

No thanks, when they believe the fairy tale that men can become women.

Iam64 Tue 15-Mar-22 13:38:49

If I was in a LibDem-Tory marginal, I’d vote Lib Dem. my marginal is Labour-Conservative. Despite the muddled, avoidant, at times ludicrous response of the LP to self ID, I can’t not vote, and I can’t vote Conservative. Sorry Lib Dem’s, I can’t ‘waste’ a vote here and let the tories stay.

The LibDem support for the bedroom tax, until they were no longer in a coalition, remains something I continue to see as unforgivable.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 15-Mar-22 15:04:18

Iam64

If I was in a LibDem-Tory marginal, I’d vote Lib Dem. my marginal is Labour-Conservative. Despite the muddled, avoidant, at times ludicrous response of the LP to self ID, I can’t not vote, and I can’t vote Conservative. Sorry Lib Dem’s, I can’t ‘waste’ a vote here and let the tories stay.

The LibDem support for the bedroom tax, until they were no longer in a coalition, remains something I continue to see as unforgivable.

I agree with that. I would vote Lib Dem to keep out a Tory. Happily I don’t need to?

Visgir1 Tue 15-Mar-22 15:31:28

My part of the world, my local City's MP's are... Southern part... Labour... Northern part Tory, The City's Council... Liberal.

FarNorth Tue 15-Mar-22 23:43:46

Here's a LibDem councillor telling us that her party is unwelcoming to people who understand what biological sex is.

Doodledog Wed 16-Mar-22 00:25:46

I have voted Lib Dem once, to keep out a Tory, but it was very hard for me to do. I fee that they (or rather the SDP) split the Left, and allowed Thatcher to ruin the country and destroy the lives of millions of people.

Nowadays, I don't know that I could do it even to keep out a Tory, because of their stance on gender issues. Mind you, Labour aren't much better. I'm hoping that all the parties will have 'had a think' and decided where they stand on this before the next GE, as I know that a lot of women feel as I do.