Gransnet forums

News & politics

"Let me tell you about the very rich. They are different from you and me."

(368 Posts)
DaisyAnne Sat 09-Apr-22 09:24:18

In this country, if you are very rich, you are treated as an individual; if you are poor you are treated as a household.

The "household" idea stems from the view of women, originally legally seen as chattels and later as too feeble-minded to have a bank account without a male guarantor as simply part of a household. It seems that in some parts of government this thinking has continued.

If you are rich, one of you may pay income tax in one country and the other in another. If you are poor the government lumps together "household" income. It even does this when considering a member of that household who is in no way related to you and for whom you have no legal responsibility. If you live together, you are lumped together.

This includes those on Universal Credit. The Benefit for the employer that the worker has to claim. The Benefit that Rishi Sunak saw fit to cut. Rishi Sunak, the man who saw questions about his "households" income as a "smear" while forcing others to ask their "household" to give the government all their private information.

Coastpath Sat 09-Apr-22 11:23:47

In my opinion the purpose of money is to make life better, easier, safer and more full of hope for you and as many other people as possible.

DaisyAnne Sat 09-Apr-22 11:24:19

Shropshirelass

What Rishi Sunak and his wife have or do not have has no bearing on decisions made with the Governments purse strings. Quite honestly, Rishi and his wife have done nothing wrong and it really is none of our business. What would anyone do if they were fortunate enough to be in their position? We all take advantage of schemes that are available to us.

They have done nothing illegal Shropshirelass that is true.

However, Rishi Sunak and his wife have both had US green cards for a period while he was Chancellor. They thought it was okay to have committed to being a permanent US resident, while holding the second-highest position in the country - which they don't think will remain their country ... Not illegal but surely someone with so little alliegence to this country should not be party to state intellegence or bending its economy to his will.

Are you saying the man who decides how much tax you should pay, who lives at the cost of the UK tax payer in a Grace and Favour flat and uses tax payer paid for services; who doesn't appear to have decided where his allegiance lies, is fit for the office he holds?

I put the OP up to discuss the choices this government makes. The pure hypocracy of a government that chases every penny from tax and benefits for working people but makes special dispensations for companies like Amazon and Google. These people who make our laws gives billionaires a special deal which means for an up front £30,000 they can protect their wealth from tax while taking £20 a week back from those struggling to, get by.

Sunak, who doesn't even know to which country he owe's any sort of allegience, is part of the law making system that he is asking us to consider his wife a foreigner and therefore allowed tax dispensation while his governement wont allow refugees to work and pushes them into poverty. You are asking for different standards for some who find it necessary to be vistitors in a foreign land but not for others.

It is the different standards of this government and those in high office that I refered to. How can you justify them?

GrannyGravy13 Sat 09-Apr-22 11:29:40

MaizieD

OK.

Can anyone tell me what the purpose of money is?

Money is a tool MaizieD as I am sure you know.

I couldn’t give a monkeys cuss what the super rich do with theirs, as long as it is not illegal.

As for their large houses, super yachts, probably art collections and jewellery. The houses have to be maintained and furnished, someone built them and the furniture in the first place.

There was a guy on the radio 2 the other week who owns a company in the U.K. which manufactures and refits super yachts, he employs 100s full time and brings in artisan workman when needed, which is often. The average super yacht is re-fitted every 10 years.

High end couture, employs 1,000s of seamstresses and trains many more. High jewellery/watch production is also a large employer and has apprenticeship schemes.

trisher Sat 09-Apr-22 11:32:00

There seems to be a misapprehension about Universal Credit on this thread. 40% of claimants of UC are working. So the idea that it was different for those working is completely wrong. The figures are here www.tuc.org.uk/blogs/universal-credit-cut-will-hit-millions-working-families-and-key-workers

There was a time when aquiring wealth required that you used some of your money to provide services or facilities which helped or enriched poorer people's lives. It was really buying your way into heaven. Now the rich don't even bother doing that.

Witzend Sat 09-Apr-22 11:38:26

While stressing that I’m no fan of Boris or this government, can I just point out that during their 13 years, Labour never did anything about non-doms, either. I seem to recall Tony Blair saying that all the super-rich coming to the U.K. - or at least buying very expensive houses here - would have a ‘trickle-down’ effect.
Precisely how he thought that was going to happen I still don’t understand.

Some time ago I met someone whose daughter is married to the manager (so I was told) of an English vineyard. But the family is ‘domiciled’ in Monaco.
The mother told me, in all seriousness, that they ‘had to’ be domiciled there, for tax reasons.

DaisyAnne Sat 09-Apr-22 11:39:56

I couldn’t give a monkeys cuss what the super rich do with theirs, as long as it is not illegal.

But on this thread that is not the question you are being asked. Are you aiming to be a politician GG13?

GrannyGravy13 Sat 09-Apr-22 11:41:02

Even if a Government manages to change the tax laws here in the U.K., it will in all honesty not bother the super rich one iota.

It will however put more of the tax burden on what I call the comfortably off

DaisyAnne Sat 09-Apr-22 11:42:57

Witzend

While stressing that I’m no fan of Boris or this government, can I just point out that during their 13 years, Labour never did anything about non-doms, either. I seem to recall Tony Blair saying that all the super-rich coming to the U.K. - or at least buying very expensive houses here - would have a ‘trickle-down’ effect.
Precisely how he thought that was going to happen I still don’t understand.

Some time ago I met someone whose daughter is married to the manager (so I was told) of an English vineyard. But the family is ‘domiciled’ in Monaco.
The mother told me, in all seriousness, that they ‘had to’ be domiciled there, for tax reasons.

This is not a thread about a long distant Labour government Witzend. Could you try reading my post Sat 09-Apr-22 11:24:19 and answering it? I would be grateful to hear a balance to what I am curently thinking.

25Avalon Sat 09-Apr-22 11:43:07

MaizieD good question. The purpose of money is to buy things and have financial security? My mind boggles however at the quantities of money some super rich have whilst others have little or none. What do they want multiple billions for? I wouldn’t be able to even imagine what I would spend it all on. I am comfortably off with my own house having worked up from very little. I don’t need more. Some salaries and earnings are obscene.

Rosie51 Sat 09-Apr-22 11:44:58

Some very rich people have a developed sense of morality and some don't. J K Rowling does not avoid tax and gives away millions to charities. Maybe because she's known both sides of the coin and hasn't forgotten the tough times. Or maybe just because she's a decent person.
I can understand anyone wanting enough money to ensure they'd have security in the future whatever happened, but I do wonder at those who want to keep such vast sums that they couldn't spend in several lifetimes.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 09-Apr-22 11:47:00

DaisyAnne

^I couldn’t give a monkeys cuss what the super rich do with theirs, as long as it is not illegal.^

But on this thread that is not the question you are being asked. Are you aiming to be a politician GG13?

No the question being posed appears to be how can we punish those who have made more money than they need.

It is not illegal to make money, it is not illegal to be rich.

As long as all taxes are paid to the appropriate authorities depending where one lives, where ones money is made and where one chooses to invest/keep their money it really is nobody else’s business.

I will repeat no Government has done enough regarding tax loopholes they are the ones at fault, every MP / Lord in Westminster, and the devolved Nations.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 09-Apr-22 11:48:24

To my mind the whole point is not how wealthy you are but the fact that in this country it buys you access to the democratically (?) elected government and the ability to influence policy, whilst at the same time ensuring as far as possible that your stake in this country is reduced to the smallest extent possible

growstuff Sat 09-Apr-22 12:09:55

GrannyGravy13

MaizieD

OK.

Can anyone tell me what the purpose of money is?

Money is a tool MaizieD as I am sure you know.

As for their large houses, super yachts, probably art collections and jewellery. The houses have to be maintained and furnished, someone built them and the furniture in the first place.

There was a guy on the radio 2 the other week who owns a company in the U.K. which manufactures and refits super yachts, he employs 100s full time and brings in artisan workman when needed, which is often. The average super yacht is re-fitted every 10 years.

High end couture, employs 1,000s of seamstresses and trains many more. High jewellery/watch production is also a large employer and has apprenticeship schemes.

That's not a valid argument. If wealth were distributed more equally, there would still be people buying "stuff", which need to be built, maintained, etc. The wealth wouldn't disappear.

Doodledog Sat 09-Apr-22 12:10:04

Germanshepherdsmum

You don’t have to be ‘very rich’ to be treated as an individual for tax purposes. Every person liable to pay UK tax is treated as an individual.
As regards household income being considered for benefits purposes, wouldn’t there be an outcry if the spouse of a high earner were paid UC? That could easily happen if household income were not taken into account.
As regards the so-called cut in UC, GrannyGravy says it all. How many ordinary working people received a permanent £20 pw wage increase during the pandemic?

I don't understand why we are taxed as individuals but benefit and other entitlements are paid as households, other than as social engineering to encourage marriage.

My views on means-testing are well-documented on here (I hate it grin ), but I also think that adults who are able to contribute to the coffers should do so in their own right, and that couples shouldn't be given an unfair advantage over single people. The state shouldn't give financial advantage to one way of living over another, IMO.

If someone has contributed via tax/NI they should be able to claim benefits (and by this I mean pension, unemployment benefit, maternity pay etc, whether or not I would view them as 'benefits' ordinarily) as an individual, and their spouse's income should be irrelevant. Equally, I don't think that couples where only one person has paid in should expect to get two lots out when it comes to claims, so I would more clearly restore the link between contributions and entitlements, and remove any tax benefits to belonging to a couple, too.

Wrt the Sunaks, I agree with Coastpath:
To use or condone the use by family members of these methods of absolving the duty to pay our way fairly (not legally, but fairly and with charitable intent) says something about a person which does not sit right with my idea of someone who becomes an MP in order to serve their country and make society a better place for all.

growstuff Sat 09-Apr-22 12:12:25

The question should be "Do we want somebody who has no idea what it's like to struggle financially and couldn't give a fig about most people, running the country's (and our) finances?"

Pammie1 Sat 09-Apr-22 12:15:35

Shropshirelass

What Rishi Sunak and his wife have or do not have has no bearing on decisions made with the Governments purse strings. Quite honestly, Rishi and his wife have done nothing wrong and it really is none of our business. What would anyone do if they were fortunate enough to be in their position? We all take advantage of schemes that are available to us.

Might not be legally wrong, but it’s morally bankrupt while he’s sticking it to the rest of us. A billionaire as chancellor isn’t exactly the brightest of ideas.

growstuff Sat 09-Apr-22 12:16:15

I agree with you Doodledog. Benefits should be based on the individual, no matter what the circumstances of the other people in the household are - and it's not just spouses/partners.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 09-Apr-22 12:18:03

growstuff how would you distribute wealth more equally ? Surely the point is to earn one’s money?

There was a social experiment for TV in Jaywick Essex a few years ago where they gave some families a larger sum of money than they were used to, from what I recall it didn’t end particularly well.

Doodledog Sat 09-Apr-22 12:19:22

growstuff

The question should be "Do we want somebody who has no idea what it's like to struggle financially and couldn't give a fig about most people, running the country's (and our) finances?"

My feeling is that no, we don't.

Logically, there is no reason why a rich person wouldn't give a fig about others, but when it comes to understanding the impact of cutting a family's income by £20 a week, it's hard to see how he will have a clue. His lot will probably bin more than that in stale bread if they all get different loaves of the artisan stuff.

growstuff Sat 09-Apr-22 12:22:12

Whitewavemark2

To my mind the whole point is not how wealthy you are but the fact that in this country it buys you access to the democratically (?) elected government and the ability to influence policy, whilst at the same time ensuring as far as possible that your stake in this country is reduced to the smallest extent possible

That's the point for me too. Being Chancellor is a powerful position and the person holding that role can affect people's lives in a real way. One would hope that that person has a stake in the idea of "one nation", not somebody who can hold a Green Card for another country while holding that position and benefits from having a spouse paying taxes elsewhere.

Dinahmo Sat 09-Apr-22 12:22:26

GrannyGravy13

Mr. Sunak has not cut Universal Credit the £20 uplift was given over the various lockdowns of the last two years. It was said at the time that this was temporary.

I am sure that there is a scheme whereby a non-working wife/husband can transfer some of their tax allowance to the other.

It is not the super rich that are at fault it is the system, which successive Governments have not amended, that’s all Governments, Conservative, Conservative/Lib Dem coalition and Labour.

As long as the so called super rich are not doing anything illegal they remain untouchable…

There is - all of £1250.

growstuff Sat 09-Apr-22 12:23:54

GrannyGravy13

growstuff how would you distribute wealth more equally ? Surely the point is to earn one’s money?

There was a social experiment for TV in Jaywick Essex a few years ago where they gave some families a larger sum of money than they were used to, from what I recall it didn’t end particularly well.

I'd start off by taxing inheritance at 100%, so everybody starts off from the same starting block in life.

Jaxjacky Sat 09-Apr-22 12:23:58

Smileless2012 and I wonder how many on GN pay their cleaner/gardener etc cash in hand?

growstuff Sat 09-Apr-22 12:24:32

I'd ensure that earned income and unearned income are taxed at the same rate.

growstuff Sat 09-Apr-22 12:25:14

Jaxjacky

Smileless2012 and I wonder how many on GN pay their cleaner/gardener etc cash in hand?

I wonder how many on GN can afford a cleaner/gardener.