Gransnet forums

News & politics

Police Stations

(10 Posts)
Redhead56 Tue 26-Apr-22 20:02:23

Our police station has been closed for fifteen years. If there is an incident even a minor one the police attendance is ridiculous. They come from about nine miles away last incident attempted shed break in six police cars.

GagaJo Tue 26-Apr-22 19:39:00

Ilovecheese

But this is another thing that we, as a nation, voted for, however we voted as individuals. A low tax, small state political party. Well we have certainly got the small state part, less police, less social workers, less job centres etc.

Tory voters, we thank you.

varian Tue 26-Apr-22 19:26:14

Ilovecheese

But this is another thing that we, as a nation, voted for, however we voted as individuals. A low tax, small state political party. Well we have certainly got the small state part, less police, less social workers, less job centres etc.

No, we as a nation never voted for this lovecheese

Only a minority of voters at the last general election voted for this awful government.

Ilovecheese Tue 26-Apr-22 19:19:47

Sounds like the other fisherman was not very clear in what was needed. Not his fault, he was probably in shock.

Ilovecheese Tue 26-Apr-22 19:18:16

Katie59 Tue 26-Apr-22 19:17:59

We had an incident where an elderly fisherman had a heart attack and fell into the lake, other fishermen got him out s d called 999.

The response, Helicopter, 2 fire engines, 2 ambulances and 17 police, including armed response unit.

Where they all came from I have no idea.

varian Tue 26-Apr-22 18:58:44

When we first came to this rural area in the seventies, our local town (population about 2000) had a police station manned by the local bobby. It was on the edge of a council estate - he lived there with his family and the police station was attached to his house,

We used to see him patrolling the town - he walked up and down the High Street and everybody knew him.

Fast forward forty years. The police station got sold off along with the council houses.

When we got burgled and reported it to the police, we eventually got a visit from a PCSO (not an actual police officer) who came from a nearby town. Her advice was that we should look on ebay to see if we could find out stolen goods - and that was it.

I really don't see this as progress.

Ilovecheese Tue 26-Apr-22 18:47:56

Our local police station is still empty after it was closed down. There is a big new one within 20 minutes driving time, but there are also less police on the streets now. Teresa May greatly reduced the numbers, as far as I remember.
I think it is a psychological feeling of safety that having visible policing gives.

Joseanne Tue 26-Apr-22 18:18:02

Looking at it another way, it is preferable to employ more officers on the beat than to spend a fortune renovating some of these old police buildings. The premises in London often get sold for millions (DH was involved in a bid for one) and the buildings are often used for new homes, schools and shops, though I would prefer medical centres. I think the Met says as long as there is a police station within 20 minutes that should suffice. In this day and age I wonder how many of the public actually turn up at a counter manned police station?

varian Tue 26-Apr-22 17:57:52

The Government is being warned that people feel “unsafe on their own streets” as new analysis suggests more then 200 police stations and counters have closed in the past seven years.

The Liberal Democrats said the figures, which the party obtained under freedom of information laws, equate to the loss of more than one site every two weeks.

It said a total of 217 stations and counters in England and Wales were shut from 2015 to 2021, with an average of 31 closures a year.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/people-wales-england-ed-davey-government-b2065279.html

So much for the "party of law and order who have had sole control of our police service since 2015