Gransnet forums

News & politics

High Inflation.

(187 Posts)
Calendargirl Wed 04-May-22 07:11:13

Just listened to the early news on the radio, said inflation is highest for a decade.

Then a quick interview with a couple with two young children, asking how they were coping.

They said, with a laugh, they have had to give up going out. No more coffees, brunches, lunches which they obviously did quite a lot. Nothing wrong with that, but hardly a huge hardship.

I must sound like a grumpy old woman, but so many things that were viewed as ‘treats’ or ‘special’ not so long ago now seem to be viewed as necessities, and not just by the younger generation.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 09-May-22 19:34:14

Or locusts. One thing after another.

Katie59 Mon 09-May-22 18:52:25

We’ve been on the perfect storm since Covid came on top of Brexit, now Ukraine, energy prices and food prices.
What next a “Plague of Frogs”

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 09-May-22 18:35:42

But how to avoid it …?

GrannyGravy13 Mon 09-May-22 18:34:00

Thanks growstuff the U.K. ‘s economy relies heavily on the service sector if everyone cuts out/cuts down on what some refer to as treats I can see many small enterprises closing and folks losing their jobs.

I think we are heading towards a perfect storm with the Captain of the U.K. ship having no clue how to avoid it…

growstuff Mon 09-May-22 18:26:43

GrannyGravy13

LuckyFour beauticians and nail technicians have mortgage/rent/bills to pay like everyone else. I hope you are not begrudging them earning a living?

Folks decide when and where to spend their money.

I agree with you. Personally, I've never been to a beautician or nail technician because I can't afford it, but there are people who go regularly and keep the economy ticking over - and pay for other people's mortgages and bills. I'm glad they're spending their money rather than squirreling it away into offshore fund.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 09-May-22 18:13:10

Fine as long as their family doesn’t go short as a result.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 09-May-22 18:06:19

LuckyFour beauticians and nail technicians have mortgage/rent/bills to pay like everyone else. I hope you are not begrudging them earning a living?

Folks decide when and where to spend their money.

LuckyFour Mon 09-May-22 17:09:41

I get sick of seeing young women with children on tv complaining that the cost of living is going up and they won't be able to manage but they all seem to have long painted nails and often false eyelashes. I don't know how much they cost but it's hardly the most important thing to spend your limited budget on. I passed a large nail 'emporium' the other day and it was packed. What's going on?

Casdon Sun 08-May-22 20:40:28

Libman

Casdon

Callistemon21

Yes, but going from Rock to Padstow is posh whichever way you travel!

???

Not as posh as going from Barry to Porthcawl though obviously Callistemon21.

Is there really a ferry that goes between Porthcawl and Barry. Ah memories of the fair at Barry Island many years ago.

Sadly only in my dreams Libman, but I do love Barry!

volver Sun 08-May-22 20:38:37

A drinks fridge? Don't tell Boris. You'll never get rid of him. wink

Joseanne Sun 08-May-22 20:36:57

Here

Joseanne Sun 08-May-22 20:36:36

Casdon

volver

growstuff

volver

My excuse is I was bobbing around on the ferry mid estuary, off to get breakfast in Padstow.

OK, that's just showing off grin

Par for the course.

I was joking though. I'm sure Joseanne knew that.

I guessed you were. I’ve been on the water taxi, it costs the same as a bus ride - it’s not the same as saying you were travelling in your 200 foot personal yacht, now that would be showing off!

Mine's the one in the far right corner with the 30' mast. I couldn't use it today because it was having a drinks fridge fitted!

Libman Sun 08-May-22 20:32:54

Casdon

Callistemon21

???

Is there really a ferry that goes between Porthcawl and Barry. Ah memories of the fair at Barry Island many years ago.

Casdon Sun 08-May-22 20:23:50

?

Callistemon21 Sun 08-May-22 20:15:14

Ooh no!

That's well lush!

Casdon Sun 08-May-22 20:10:03

Callistemon21

???

Callistemon21 Sun 08-May-22 20:03:33

???

Casdon Sun 08-May-22 19:54:11

volver

growstuff

volver

My excuse is I was bobbing around on the ferry mid estuary, off to get breakfast in Padstow.

Par for the course.

I guessed you were. I’ve been on the water taxi, it costs the same as a bus ride - it’s not the same as saying you were travelling in your 200 foot personal yacht, now that would be showing off!

volver Sun 08-May-22 19:33:28

growstuff

volver

Par for the course.

growstuff Sun 08-May-22 19:18:44

volver

^My excuse is I was bobbing around on the ferry mid estuary, off to get breakfast in Padstow.^

Par for the course.

growstuff Sun 08-May-22 19:18:07

I'm sure the people who are being most affected by inflation are thrilled that there are still people who can push the boat out. Hope they all remember to doff their caps as a few pence are thrown in their collecting tins. hmm

Joseanne Sun 08-May-22 13:17:52

Ha ha, yes, just bobbed back now. I think I'll save Stein's for another day!
Ferry crossing same price as last year if I remember, no inflated prices (though there were inflated life jackets to hand!) And the puppy went for free. Jolly mood.
Plenty of people drinking coffees in cafés and eating brunches which is where this thread started. People are obviously still pushing the boat out and spending on these kind of treats. So interviewers can find different people to say different things.

JenniferEccles Sun 08-May-22 12:16:00

Rock to Padstow Joseanne.
A lovely scenic ferry service.
Lunch at Rick Stein’s seafood restaurant ?

volver Sun 08-May-22 11:41:59

Joseanne Sun 08-May-22 11:13:28

volver

Joseanne

Katie59

The value of sterling slumped on Friday to the lowest for 2 yrs, making imports even more expensive.

Really? Oh dear.
I remember only in February we were getting 1.20 euros to the pound, now I've just checked it's 0.85. "Can't do Maths" but I think that's about a third less?
So how is it lots of people are still able to afford the increased price holidays and the additional amount their spending money costs them?

I think you've got your fractions upside down wink.

Currently it's about 1.17 Euros to the pound

Yes, apologies, told you I couldn't do Maths! My excuse is I was bobbing around on the ferry mid estuary, off to get breakfast in Padstow.
Phew, the other way round is good news. Sorry to scare any European travellers.