Gransnet forums

News & politics

Queens Speech

(521 Posts)
Daisymae Mon 09-May-22 10:57:50

According to that well known publication of all things in the news ?, otherwise known as The Mail, HRH us going to decide at the 11th hour whether or not she will be able to deliver the said speech. I'm sure she doesn't care what I think, but it would seem time for Charles to take up the slack.

Calendargirl Mon 09-May-22 13:26:34

I am increasingly convinced that many of those on the side of the monarchy have actually no comprehension of how we got here today

Very true, but fortunately we have you Volver to keep pointing things out.

volver Mon 09-May-22 13:32:00

Yes. This education thing. It can be a burden.

Anniebach Mon 09-May-22 13:34:24

There were occasions the Queen didn’t attend during four
pregnancies , she should have abdicated ?

Blossoming Mon 09-May-22 13:39:35

Of course she shouldn’t Anniebach and I must say I’m surprised to see a fervent royalist like you suggesting that.

Joseanne Mon 09-May-22 13:49:01

Anniebach

So who did it for her then?

maddyone Mon 09-May-22 13:51:26

volver

DH and I have just been discussing this, actually. There are actually very few constitutional duties for our monarch, but delivering the Queen's Speech is one of them. If she can't do it, then why is she persisting in the post?

Yes, yes, yes.

Lucca Mon 09-May-22 14:01:19

Anniebach

That’s just silly

Anniebach Mon 09-May-22 14:07:28

Why is it silly ? young pregnant women should be excused but
not an old woman who has difficulty walking

Anniebach Mon 09-May-22 14:09:06

The thoughts of some republicans has been expressed , hoping she dies soon

volver Mon 09-May-22 14:10:26

Young pregnant women can resume their duties once the child has arrived.

Old women who can't do the job because of age will never be able to do the job again.

And it was twice.

volver Mon 09-May-22 14:11:03

Anniebach

Nobody has said that and you are trying to stir things up. Its not a very attractive feature.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 09-May-22 14:14:18

Being the Monarch of the U.K. starts with a death and ends with their death.

It’s not something you can hand your notice in, and the next one takes over.

I for one am totally happy for HM to carry out her duties to the best of her ability until she is no longer able to do so. At such time the next inline can be a stand in for her.

HM is doing less and less which is what I would expect for a lady of 96.

I make absolutely no apologies for wanting to keep the monarchy, the slimmed down version which is now emerging is the correct way to go.

Petera Mon 09-May-22 14:14:40

Elrel

Those who want a republic may get President Johnson

Those who want a monarchy will get a King Charles

tidyskatemum Mon 09-May-22 15:14:35

The Queen can’t very well stand down just yet - we’ve got the whole pantomime of the Platinum Jubilee to get through. I do think she should just let Charles take over after that if she’s not going to put in any more personal appearances. I think it’s a great shame if her mobility issue is the only thing holding her back. If the Pope can appear in public in a wheelchair so can she and it might have the positive effect of encouraging people to think more about the problem.

Deedaa Mon 09-May-22 15:23:58

Those who want an elected Head of State need to to take a careful look at the politicians "The People" have voted in at the moment. It will need to be thoroughly thought through or we could live to regret it.

volver Mon 09-May-22 15:34:47

Deedaa

Those who want an elected Head of State need to to take a careful look at the politicians "The People" have voted in at the moment. It will need to be thoroughly thought through or we could live to regret it.

So often I've said this, but here we go again...

Don't you think democracy is a good idea then?

Calendargirl Mon 09-May-22 15:34:50

The two pregnancies, Andrew and Edward, when she didn’t attend, would be roughly 60 years ago.

Times have moved on, even for pregnant royal ladies. I’m sure that nowadays, the Queen would attend, if pregnant, wearing a bespoke posh maternity frock.

Lucca Mon 09-May-22 15:46:32

Anniebach

Why is it silly ? young pregnant women should be excused but
not an old woman who has difficulty walking

Nobody said she shouldn’t be excused. The discuss was about whether she should have retired earlier. I’m quite happy for her to be excused,

Lucca Mon 09-May-22 15:47:45

Anniebach

Where ? Just where ?

Daisend1 Mon 09-May-22 16:10:26

Vegansrock
Maybe just anyone could read it out but in the words of the song 'nobody doesit better I for one do not look forward to the day when her majesty is no longer among us to do this.

Anniebach Mon 09-May-22 16:21:49

Lucca the post from a republican regarding the Queen’s death was posted today but on a different thread so I cannot
say more on this thread , perhaps you know this

volver Mon 09-May-22 16:24:06

That's convenient.

Parsley3 Mon 09-May-22 16:28:17

Being the Monarch of the U.K. starts with a death and ends with their death.

Not always. Uncle David abdicated.
I take it that everyone who loves a monarchy will be happy with King Charles.

Georgesgran Mon 09-May-22 16:32:45

It would seem that HM is still of sound mind, but struggling with her mobility. I’m sure this has been mentioned before but why doesn’t she use a wheelchair?
I think it would greatly help able bodied people to have an inkling how difficult life is for (some) wheelchair users - irrespective of their status) with some buildings being inaccessible and certain modes of transport being out of the question. It would also make the point that people should speak to the person in the chair, not the person pushing it!

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 09-May-22 16:35:49

Anniebach

She missed two through pregnancy. Charles and Ann were born before she was Queen.