Gransnet forums

News & politics

Our bloated NHS - it’s beyond ridiculous now.

(521 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Urmstongran Mon 16-May-22 10:07:56

At the moment, only about one third of NHS staff are doctors or nurses (roughly 450,000 out of 1.4million employees).

The new analysis shows that the number of officials working in the Department of Health and NHS England has more than doubled in two years, with even sharper rises seen at the most senior levels. Meanwhile the number of nurses rose by just seven per cent, thinktank the Policy Exchange found.

Its experts said the trends showed an “astonishing” explosion in central bureaucracy, calling for an urgent review and action to slim down and streamline its workings.

The findings come ahead of a review of leadership in the NHS by a former army general.

Sir Gordon Messenger has been sent in by Sajid Javid, the Health Secretary, amid concern over the quality of management in the NHS as the service faces the biggest backlogs in its history.

kittylester Tue 17-May-22 21:39:06

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

volver Tue 17-May-22 21:45:51

Message deleted by Gransnet. Quotes deleted post

growstuff Tue 17-May-22 22:15:40

growstuff Tue 17-May-22 22:17:44

kittylester Tue 17-May-22 22:19:57

No he didn't feel OK about it but he was 71 as I also said previously! Please read my posts.

Did you continue to work at that age? How much longer did you want him to keep working in a stressful job.

Honestly - hardly his fault if the NHS spends money on managers rather than practitioners! No-one else would take the role on on the same terms when he eventually gave up.

And, where did I say he didn't like his new line manager. She was very nice.

Callistemon21 Tue 17-May-22 22:23:42

kittylester Tue 17-May-22 22:27:29

Message deleted by Gransnet. Refers to deleted post

Callistemon21 Tue 17-May-22 22:34:39

LadyWee Wed 18-May-22 01:55:49

Urmstongran

And This, from Allison Pearson in today’s Telegraph, makes for mind boggling reading about the many levels of NHS management teams:

Look away now if you suffer from hypertension ....

“Unfortunately, NHS managers appear to see their role of overseeing the delivery of healthcare as superior to that of care itself. I asked “George”, Planet Normal’s senior source within NHS England, to paint me a picture of the organisation’s structure. After reading the email, I needed a lie down in a darkened room.

Essentially, NHS England – main offices in London and Leeds, but with lots of satellite buildings in places like Leicester and Taunton – is a Hydra with all of its multiple heads turned inwards looking at all the other heads.

NHS England does no routine hospital management; it is responsible for implementing government policy. For every type of healthcare “workstream” – elective, mental health, screening, primary care – there is someone in NHS England in charge of overseeing the delivery. Each of those national leads has a team of people and each region (of which there are seven) has a set of people overseeing delivery from a regional perspective. That’s a hell of a lot of staff who are not actually providing any medical care, but are busy reporting on how others are delivering it.

Wait, there’s more. An executive board covers operations, finance, information technology, human resources and analytics. Each of those functions has a similarly extensive national and regional structure. The function of departments called things like Improvement, Strategy and Transformation is “murky”, says George, but “essentially, a lot of resource goes into looking at how can we do things better and more efficiently while never appearing to make any progress in that direction”.

I’m not sure I can bring myself to type what follows, it’s too depressing. But I think you should know – after all, you’re the ones paying for it. In between NHS England and the hospitals, there are now Integrated Care Systems, which are basically a partnership between the hospitals, GPs, some local authority services and healthcare commissioners. They too all have boards, heads of delivery, finance structures and business intelligence functions. (Of course, they do!) As George wryly observes: “This is yet another in a long line of organisational configurations that may or may not deliver any real improvements or change.”

In theory, NHS England can support, cajole, even threaten those organisations actually doing the frontline delivery. Ultimately, says George: “We are fairly powerless to bring about any real change. So you have to wonder, how much money should this organisation consume and does it provides any real value?”

I mean, I despise the Torygraph but in fairness NHSE do have the ability to determine these top down schemes with no consultation from
Anyone on the front line and employ what appears to be a huge cohort of people to essentially write long emails forcing you to do things, changing their minds and forcing you to do something else, and then issuing sanctions on those that don’t or can’t comply! Am very glad to be out of it but do feel for my relatives still trying their best.

The main issue between managers and clinicians is that all the policy changes and ‘shake ups’ with new managers in place don’t do anything to tackle the front line staffing crisis and the low morale that comes from it.

Iam64 Wed 18-May-22 08:48:58

This thread stopped adding anything constructive several pages ago. I’m none the wiser about kitty’s husbands work life.
Without wishing to be rude to kitty or mr k, the suggestion from urmston, thst the nhs has too
Many managers remains contentious.
A huge organisation needs managers, it needs layers if managers who have different but clearly identified responsibilities. When I worked in the private or public sector, that’s what we had. Essential to service delivery

The row here is ideological and political. The idea that money can be saved by binning the diversity training, refusing to provide translators for example Is
Imo nonsense and lacking in understanding or compassion.
I would have that view. It’s based on my professional experience and my personal belief system. How could I have begun to
Understand how an Angolan asylum seeker arrived here, what led to the dreadful situation she and her children currently lived in, without the help of an independent translator
Of course, people who don’t share my beliefs will say- send her back. Don’t help her. I don’t want to live in a country with neither compassion nor evidence based practice

volver Wed 18-May-22 09:06:56

Glorianny Wed 18-May-22 09:29:15

LadyWee

Urmstongran

And This, from Allison Pearson in today’s Telegraph, makes for mind boggling reading about the many levels of NHS management teams:

Look away now if you suffer from hypertension ....

“Unfortunately, NHS managers appear to see their role of overseeing the delivery of healthcare as superior to that of care itself. I asked “George”, Planet Normal’s senior source within NHS England, to paint me a picture of the organisation’s structure. After reading the email, I needed a lie down in a darkened room.

Essentially, NHS England – main offices in London and Leeds, but with lots of satellite buildings in places like Leicester and Taunton – is a Hydra with all of its multiple heads turned inwards looking at all the other heads.

NHS England does no routine hospital management; it is responsible for implementing government policy. For every type of healthcare “workstream” – elective, mental health, screening, primary care – there is someone in NHS England in charge of overseeing the delivery. Each of those national leads has a team of people and each region (of which there are seven) has a set of people overseeing delivery from a regional perspective. That’s a hell of a lot of staff who are not actually providing any medical care, but are busy reporting on how others are delivering it.

Wait, there’s more. An executive board covers operations, finance, information technology, human resources and analytics. Each of those functions has a similarly extensive national and regional structure. The function of departments called things like Improvement, Strategy and Transformation is “murky”, says George, but “essentially, a lot of resource goes into looking at how can we do things better and more efficiently while never appearing to make any progress in that direction”.

I’m not sure I can bring myself to type what follows, it’s too depressing. But I think you should know – after all, you’re the ones paying for it. In between NHS England and the hospitals, there are now Integrated Care Systems, which are basically a partnership between the hospitals, GPs, some local authority services and healthcare commissioners. They too all have boards, heads of delivery, finance structures and business intelligence functions. (Of course, they do!) As George wryly observes: “This is yet another in a long line of organisational configurations that may or may not deliver any real improvements or change.”

In theory, NHS England can support, cajole, even threaten those organisations actually doing the frontline delivery. Ultimately, says George: “We are fairly powerless to bring about any real change. So you have to wonder, how much money should this organisation consume and does it provides any real value?”

I mean, I despise the Torygraph but in fairness NHSE do have the ability to determine these top down schemes with no consultation from
Anyone on the front line and employ what appears to be a huge cohort of people to essentially write long emails forcing you to do things, changing their minds and forcing you to do something else, and then issuing sanctions on those that don’t or can’t comply! Am very glad to be out of it but do feel for my relatives still trying their best.

The main issue between managers and clinicians is that all the policy changes and ‘shake ups’ with new managers in place don’t do anything to tackle the front line staffing crisis and the low morale that comes from it.

Let's be absolutely clear on this. This is a system brought in by a Tory government who put in place a top down re-organisation that no one wanted and which cost a fortune. There is constant revision of the requirements. One very interesting example is Procurement. Try googling NHS procurement and the amount of advice and restrictions on it is incredible.

Chewbacca Wed 18-May-22 10:15:35

volver Wed 18-May-22 10:16:07

Iam64 Wed 18-May-22 10:35:51

volver Wed 18-May-22 10:59:03

Iam64 Wed 18-May-22 11:01:38

Callistemon21 Wed 18-May-22 11:06:39

growstuff

Callistemon21

Some posters are the fount of all knowledge.

Some posters have actual experience and/or family who are living the experience.

Yep! I have family who have lived the experience! A sister and a daughter. I was a manager in a large organisation (much smaller than the NHS) too. The issues are fairly universal.

I think that's part of the problem growstuff

As I mentioned in an earlier post - it's just huge and cumbersome.
Can it ever be run efficiently?

volver Wed 18-May-22 11:11:54

Callistemon21 Wed 18-May-22 11:12:39

Callistemon21 Wed 18-May-22 11:15:37

Yes, translators are needed.

I'm not sure about Welsh/English though,as I've not yet met a Welsh person who doesnt have an excellent command of English, including those whose first language is Welsh. They include my friend who is a teacher and my Consultant.

MichaelGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 18-May-22 11:27:48

Hi all. We've already posted on the thread asking people to refrain from making personal attacks - we're afraid that we may have to start suspending accounts if it continues. Please do try to discuss the issues without fallouts - they just derail the thread.

MaizieD Wed 18-May-22 11:30:46

As I mentioned in an earlier post - it's just huge and cumbersome.
Can it ever be run efficiently?

As one of its pressing problems seems to be communication problems, with IT systems that don't talk to each other it seems to me that a huge investment in overhauling the IT might be called for. Though that is really unlikely to happen.

The other thing that seems to me would be useful would be a really good analysis of the whole service; how the elements can be integrated and work together more effectively. But that could upset many vested interests and would work against the tory plan of breaking it into nice saleable units.

Yes, it's huge, but if we're going to have decent health and social care provision with the objective of caring for the population from cradle to grave, as in Beveridge's conception, without money being siphoned off to private enterprise (apart from for provision of all supplies and medicines which are a legitimate and necessary use of private provision) we have to be prepared to spend the money on doing it properly. (And the money can be found. It's the will that is weak)

Callistemon21 Wed 18-May-22 12:03:31

The other thing that seems to me would be useful would be a really good analysis of the whole service; how the elements can be integrated and work together more effectively. But that could upset many vested interests and would work against the tory plan of breaking it into nice saleable units

The theory is, I suppose, that it would be run more efficiently but still be free at the point of delivery.
However, that is not going to work because no private company is going to take on a contract for altruistic reasons. They will want their profits, depriving the service of money and keeping salaries low.

I know the NHS is funded mainly from taxation although we are led to believe NI contributions fund it.
What I don't understand is why those who are retired don't pay a portion of NI towards NHS funding.
We are more likely to be users of the service.

The French system sounds interesting.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 18-May-22 12:04:10

As far as I’m concerned, and I have thought this for a long time.

We need a full and comprehensive national debate on the way forward.