Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Queen ,,yesterday photos

(68 Posts)
lemsip Tue 17-May-22 13:17:53

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10824699/Queen-make-rare-surprise-public-appearance-open-Elizabeth-Line.html

maddyone Wed 18-May-22 23:45:43

I liked the (possible) nod to Ukraine in the Queen’s outfit yesterday. The yellow coat and hat with a blue decoration on the hat. I know she’s not supposed to be political but……..

Callistemon21 Wed 18-May-22 23:19:37

vegansrock

One of the good things about HM is that she wears such bright blocky colours, so full marks to the stylists for making her stand out in a crowd. Charles in a navy suit won’t have the same impact I’m afraid.

I think that's thanks to Angela Kelly who took over the design of the Queen's clothes 20 years ago.
She is a woman from an ordinary background with no formal training in fashion design but she seems to know exactly what is appropriate for public occasions like that one and how to make HM noticeable in a crowd.

Joseanne Wed 18-May-22 19:01:24

It's just that it's a general assumption that children who go to boarding school must be psychologically damaged in some way and end up like Boris Johnson.
I think there has been a lot of assumptions about pupils who attend private schools on GN and this might have coloured other posters' views. Those who have taught in public schools , who inspect public schools and whose own children went to public schools might have greater knowledge of the set up, but that is not what this thread is about.

I have to agree with maddyone about the white ill-fitting trouser suits. Is it a sort of power dressing? In that case, the Queen doesn't need to wear one.

Calendargirl Wed 18-May-22 18:32:06

It doesn’t help that Boris is quite stocky, no matter what he wears, he always looks like a sausage bursting out of its skin.
As for his hair, the permanently ‘ruffled’ look was probably quite endearing about 30 years ago, but sadly, in your 50’s, it just looks like you haven’t combed it.
Which he probably hasn’t, raked his fingers through and that’s it.

Callistemon21 Wed 18-May-22 18:21:00

The Johnson children sound as if their family was dysfunctional.

It doesn't just happen on sink estates.

Callistemon21 Wed 18-May-22 18:19:59

You don’t have to jump down my throat, please Callistemon
I didn't FannyC

It's just that it's a general assumption that children who go to boarding school must be psychologically damaged in some way and end up like Boris Johnson.

maddyone Wed 18-May-22 17:49:44

My husband taught in a school that was part boarding, it also took day pupils as well. Boarding schools today are very different places than those of years ago. The boarding facilities are inspected by OFSTED and must adhere to certain standards of care and welfare. The horror stories of yesteryear are no more.

Rosalyn69 Wed 18-May-22 16:40:23

My son went to boarding school. He’s fine.

Glorianny Wed 18-May-22 16:18:49

I do wonder though if having a parent with OCD makes you want to be scruffy all the time?

FannyCornforth Wed 18-May-22 14:57:01

I was referring to the book that I mentioned up thread.
I meant that it contributed to his character.
He went to boarding school aged 10 or 11. I don’t think that he had a very happy childhood, did he.

You don’t have to jump down my throat, please Callistemon

Callistemon21 Wed 18-May-22 14:34:08

FannyCornforth

Sorry, Joseanne, I was referring to boarding schools ; not public schools.
I should have been more clear. Apologies

Also having read about small boys and public schools I am convinced that he is psychologically highly damaged.

You can't blame Boris's character on boarding school!

Daisend1 Wed 18-May-22 13:54:57

Fanny
You have voiced my very thoughts. I cannot see myself other than anElizabethan .

Glorianny Wed 18-May-22 12:56:52

Boris was only 14 when she remarried and went to live in the US, it's one of the reasons he did so much flying.

FannyCornforth Wed 18-May-22 12:45:53

Thank heaven she married again, eh.

Glorianny Wed 18-May-22 11:37:49

FannyCornforth

maddy yes Charlotte was in hospitals for much of Johnson’s childhood.
While Stanley gallivanted all around the world.
He hit Charlotte (Boris saw him break her nose) and it seems that he married her for her family’s money.
A very young Alexander and Rachel were frequent fliers on their own to and from NY.
In France the children had many young nannies who Stanley made to go around naked to save on the washing of clothes.

Charlotte was not hospitalised for much of his childhood. She suffered a collapse in 1972 and was hospitalised for varying periods and diagnosed with OCD this was actually a pre-cursor to Parkinsons Disease which was diagnosed in 1980 when she was 40. Throughout her illness she had sell out exhibitions of her art work. She divorced Stanley and married Nicholas Wahl.
museumofthemind.org.uk/blog/a-conversation-with-charlotte-johnson-wahl

maddyone Wed 18-May-22 11:16:47

Good grief, I didn’t realise it was that bad. No wonder he’s as he is. You could say they’ve all done very well with that background. I’m quite surprised they weren’t removed by SS but I think fewer children were removed in those days. I hope for Carrie and the young children’s sake that he’ll be more settled now he’s in his fifties.

FannyCornforth Wed 18-May-22 10:15:29

maddy yes Charlotte was in hospitals for much of Johnson’s childhood.
While Stanley gallivanted all around the world.
He hit Charlotte (Boris saw him break her nose) and it seems that he married her for her family’s money.
A very young Alexander and Rachel were frequent fliers on their own to and from NY.
In France the children had many young nannies who Stanley made to go around naked to save on the washing of clothes.

lemsip Wed 18-May-22 09:48:27

good post Maddyone I have read all about his life.

Glorianny Wed 18-May-22 09:45:05

Riverwalk

The photo of Khan, Shapps & Johnson made me laugh! Khan looks half asleep, Shapps like Elon Musk, and as for Bozo...

I shall taken myself for a ride on the Elizabeth Line when it opens to the public which I think is next week smile Using my Freedom Pass of course.

That photo looks like a version of the three wise monkeys, only cut out the "wise"
And we have Khan holding his knees- "Not me"
Shap protecting his genitals "Nor Me"
and Bojo holding forth- "Well it might be me but you can't prove it"

FannyCornforth Wed 18-May-22 09:40:18

I should have been more clear. Apologies

FannyCornforth Wed 18-May-22 09:38:31

Joseanne Sad Little Men: The number #1 bestseller about the world that shaped Boris Johnson www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1787302938/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_F4EAHSKNYKZ54ANMHXHE?tag=gransnetforum-21

Joseanne Wed 18-May-22 09:33:46

Also having read about small boys and public schools I am convinced that he is psychologically highly damaged.
I'm not sure that public schools set out to cause harm and distress to their pupils! The majority turn out just fine.

maddyone Wed 18-May-22 09:27:40

Fanny you could well be right. I don’t know that much about it but I believe BJ’s upbringing was difficult. I think his mother was very ill with poor mental health (did she have a complete breakdown?) and his father had affairs and then they divorced? Very damaging for the children. The other children seem to have fared better, but who knows? BJ was a very bright lad who won a scholarship to Eton I believe, but public schools weren’t as they are now. I’m sure he’s flawed, but who isn’t? I am, very flawed, but then I’m not PM.

FannyCornforth Wed 18-May-22 09:18:47

Maddy I often wonder if it’s a cry for help.
Having followed Johnson for a long time and read Tom Bower’s biography, I am convinced that he is psychologically highly damaged.

Also having read about small boys and public schools, ditto Eton.

I despise him, but also feel deeply sorry for him.
He should never have become PM.

maddyone Wed 18-May-22 09:18:15

I noticed that Corbyn tidied himself up after he became party leader. I didn’t have a problem with Michael Foot’s way of dressing. I shouldn’t say it but I did think it funny when Neil Kinnock fell in the sea wearing a beautiful suit. That was very unkind of me I think.