Gransnet forums

News & politics

The newest Lottery Winners!

(129 Posts)
Urmstongran Thu 19-May-22 11:50:26

Joe and Jess Thwaite from Gloucester won an astonishing £184 million on the EuroMillions.

Oh heck.
I’d hate it. What about you?

harold Tue 24-May-22 15:26:46

I feel that amount would be a lot to cope with. If I did win a large sum I would make sure my family were all secure for their lifetime, Take time to think for a while and then, perhaps some personal projects, all quite modest. Th en I should like to help several charities and enjoy life, probably though in a newer bungalow with more light.

Blinko Mon 23-May-22 09:44:25

Chestnut

Blinko

grannyrebel7

I think it would be quite overwhelming and could rock the boat of the marriage if they wanted different things.

I can relate to this. We don't do the Lottery, but OH and I sometimes daydream what we would do in this situation. We never can agree on priorities for how to share out the money so would most likely end up in the divorce courts. sad

That's easily solved. If you win jointly then put a third into a joint account for things you both want and then a third each into separate accounts. Problem solved! you get to do your own thing with your own money.

Cheers, Chestnut. You can always rely on GN for sound advice smile

LovelyLady Sun 22-May-22 21:36:18

I’ve thought about this again.
I’d still not tell anyone.
I’d get Houses for the family, not huge. Decent cars not huge.
Good holidays again not extravagant. No 5* hotels.
My extended family struggle and live in an area that employment is difficult, I’d concentrate on family and deserving friends that wouldn’t expect me to give.
Just to make life easier for family would be lovely to do. Music lessons and drama classes, ballet lessons etc
I love to make their life special.
Oh I so wish I could do this for them.

Nan0 Sun 22-May-22 21:05:50

Haha!! I worked out how I would spend 17 million in no time at all, if I ever got round to buying a ticket!!

Nonnadiana Sun 22-May-22 10:31:11

Yes I remember at home with the braithwaites.it was really good.

varian Sat 21-May-22 17:56:38

I agree humpty

£1 million would certainly be a life changing sum for most folk.

humptydumpty Sat 21-May-22 14:35:25

Personally I'd like to see a cap on single winnings of say 10 million, and the rest shared out between other players to a max of a million each.

Chestnut Sat 21-May-22 14:29:30

Blinko

grannyrebel7

I think it would be quite overwhelming and could rock the boat of the marriage if they wanted different things.

I can relate to this. We don't do the Lottery, but OH and I sometimes daydream what we would do in this situation. We never can agree on priorities for how to share out the money so would most likely end up in the divorce courts. sad

That's easily solved. If you win jointly then put a third into a joint account for things you both want and then a third each into separate accounts. Problem solved! you get to do your own thing with your own money.

LovelyLady Sat 21-May-22 11:23:36

Oops! Don’t know there the VD came from in my posting.

LovelyLady Sat 21-May-22 11:22:18

I’d tell no one. I’d say my insurance is due to paid out at my nearest big birthday.
I’d buy my family reasonable but not extravagant houses.
I’ve worked as a volunteer for charities all my life and just can’t believe how VD much money is wasted, so NO I’d not give to any big charities. Local charities yes, providing they don’t have many paid employees.
I’d not definitely not tell my family or friends. Life would be too different if they knew.

Blinko Sat 21-May-22 10:48:18

grannyrebel7

Lovetopaint037 Sat 21-May-22 10:39:58

I think there is a danger of everyone wanting an input into how you should spend it. However, I would get so much pleasure from setting the family up and asking our local hospital etc what I can provide to improve diagnosis etc. then charities of course. I also feel that as Ghandi once said we are trapped by our possessions. Perhaps worries about burglaries or even kidnapping. Good health is the best blessing of all and there are only so many meals out, high tech gadgets, etc etc

Chestnut Fri 20-May-22 23:54:17

As I said, I'd want to get rid of it as quickly as possible! Dump £1 million each into numerous good causes after taking care of friends and family. That way you are not sitting on such a huge amount.

paddyann54 Fri 20-May-22 23:50:37

GSM Over 900k was a lot of money in the late 70's early 80's ,strangely not long after that win a neighbour won an almost identical amount .They bought a house for themselves and their son's family ,still live locally and still together .

SunshineSally Fri 20-May-22 20:33:34

I really wouldn’t want to win as much as that! But if by some miracle I did win a huge sum id probably sort family and friends and then sort my teeth out so that I can smile confidently - and no I wouldn’t tell anyone other then OH of course ?

Shizam Fri 20-May-22 20:06:20

Imagine paying that cheque into your current account!! Would struggle with the number of zeroes.
Think they’re crazy to have gone public. But rather their woes than being too broke to eat. They can always give most of it away.

Maggiemaybe Fri 20-May-22 19:59:25

Chestnut

jerseygirl It would be difficult to keep it quiet. How would you explain where the money had come from when you start to spend it.
I've already said twice you just don't tell anyone, even your children, how much you've won. You say you've had a win and then buy houses for people, but no-one will know where the boundary line is. Then I would offload millions onto selected good causes, maybe £1 million each, and just get rid of most of it. Depends how much you've won of course. After that you would be left with a manageable amount to see you through life.

I’d go with your blueprint, Chestnut. smile Though if I won this sort of amount, I think I’d let the National Lottery keep half of it first for their good causes. That’d still leave me with plenty to play with.

maddyone Fri 20-May-22 19:12:40

Lovely story paddyann.
I’d look after my family first, but with such a huge win I’d try to help lots of others. I’d probably buy some houses and invite some Ukrainian refugees to live in them as that is such a terrible situation for many of them.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 20-May-22 19:03:48

But it wouldn’t have been such a huge win Paddy. That’s the problem here.

paddyann54 Fri 20-May-22 18:58:07

Why focus on the people who made mistakes after a win,there are many many more who live long happy lives ,who do things not only for themselves but for family friends and complete strangers .
Whata negative group of grannies on here .
I remember the lovely couple who won the pools just after Christmas one year.They had both lost their jobs and christmas was bleak ,no electricity ,cornflakes for christmas dinner and long cold dark days ahead.
That win changed their lives,they bought a nice house in a new estate,started a business and are still together now.I know because I regularly use their business.
There are far more stories like that ,why drag the bad ones out of the woodwork ?

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 20-May-22 18:35:55

Yes I remember that one.

Rosina Fri 20-May-22 18:29:01

A young man won a fantastic sum on the lottery some years ago; an aunt of mine lived in the village near where he chose to buy a property, and evidently he created hell for the neighbours with 'friends' riding quad bikes around the huge garden, which had been beautiful and was completely ruined, holding week long parties...you get thepicture. The whole lot was gone within a couple of years, he no longer owned the house, and appeared in the local paper a sorrier and wiser person - at least that was something good out of the mayhem.

Missiseff Fri 20-May-22 18:04:29

I'd love it, but wouldn't go public

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 20-May-22 18:02:47

I couldn’t cope with the begging letters.

4allweknow Fri 20-May-22 17:44:15

Read quite some time ago large littery winners are given advice/support by the Fund on how to deal with begging letters etc and how to manage their win. Wouldn't mind the chance to find out just how difficult it is to be so rich.