Gransnet forums

News & politics

Thomas Markle rushed to hospital after a suspected stroke.

(392 Posts)
JenniferEccles Wed 25-May-22 19:16:51

Apparently he’s unable to speak, but it is very early days so time will tell how well he recovers.
I do feel for this man. Yes he was very foolish to get involved with the paparazzi prior to the wedding but then he has repeatedly apologised, and has acknowledged how very stupid it was to trust them.

Anyway perhaps this will mark the turning point with Meghan as she will surely be rushing to his bedside.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 01-Jun-22 13:43:06

I expect a new thread will appear too!

eazybee Wed 01-Jun-22 13:40:01

Oh come on. This weekend will present them with photo opportunities and interchanges they can use to revive flagging interest in their not- very -interesting life.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 01-Jun-22 12:53:43

I doubt. They’ve renewed their lease of Frogmore Cottage so presumably intend spending time in the UK for which they’d want their security.

JenniferEccles Wed 01-Jun-22 12:09:06

I haven’t heard anything recently about whether Harry is still going ahead with his bizarre plan to sue the Home Office regarding his family’s security.
What I have read recently though is that the release of his tell all book has been delayed.
Could he possibly have come to his senses about it?

maddyone Wed 01-Jun-22 10:44:22

Indeed GSM. I know that, that’s why I said it.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 01-Jun-22 10:09:33

Only the Cambridge children are 'relevant' as being in direct line of succession.

maddyone Wed 01-Jun-22 10:02:04

To be honest I don’t think we’ll see any of twelve great grandchildren during the jubilee, apart from the Cambridge children who will most probably be on the balcony along with those who are working royals.

Glorianny Wed 01-Jun-22 09:28:05

How many on GN were complaining how neglectful it was to leave the children at home when H&M went to the Invictus games and visited HM? Now they shouldn't be bringing the children??? Damned if they do. Damned if they don't. No wonder they prefer the US.

Dickens Wed 01-Jun-22 08:07:51

eazybee

We will see how fiercely protective of her children's privacy Meghan Markle is during the next few days. Odd bringing them to London to meet their great-grandmother for the first time during the Queen's jubilee, an event being given worldwide coverage.

The Queen has already 'met' Archie - a couple of days after he was born, I believe.

When she meets him again, and sees her great-grand daughter for the first time, I suspect it will be in private.

And I would have thought an important, historical event, like the Jubilee, quite a relevant time for her to meet up with them.

Disclaimer: I'm not a 'fan' of either H or M - I think they are immature and self-centred. But I have the feeling that, in this instance, they will be damned if they do visit with the children, and damned if they don't.

And, do any of us know what goes on behind the scenes with the family? All we know is what the media reports - and, often, what it assumes it knows.

Anniebach Wed 01-Jun-22 08:00:26

Most odd,

eazybee Wed 01-Jun-22 07:02:28

We will see how fiercely protective of her children's privacy Meghan Markle is during the next few days. Odd bringing them to London to meet their great-grandmother for the first time during the Queen's jubilee, an event being given worldwide coverage.

Lucca Tue 31-May-22 22:42:35

Anniebach

Diana tipped off certain royal reporters so cameras would be
ready to snap

Oh leave her in peace FGS.

Anniebach Tue 31-May-22 20:13:06

Diana tipped off certain royal reporters so cameras would be
ready to snap

Glorianny Tue 31-May-22 19:44:28

Callistemon21

Glorianny

I didn't mention paying for security. Just that the private lifestyle they wanted for their children might not be so easily achieved.
As for M&H cooperating I doubt that would be seen as enough. It certainly wasn't in the past with people the press chose to pursue.

It could if they'd just kept their heads down and didn't court publicity.

Other young Royal children are not given security, are occasionally seen in public at, perhaps, a horse event but I doubt anyone would recognise them.

It's a bit difficult not to "court publicity"when you are sent on Royal tours, have responsibility for a major sporting event and are involved with many charities.
As for the ignoring. Diana was certainly pursued and photographed when she didn't want to be. She tried to cooperate with the press I believe but they still pursued her. Perhaps Harry remembers the press in his childhood and wants something different for his own children.

Sparklefizz Tue 31-May-22 18:46:56

People like the Clooneys, Adele and Ed Sheeran manage to keep their kids out of the tabloids and the Monaco family does too

I've seen loads of photos of the Monaco royal children, mainly in articles because of Princess Charlene's health problems.

Callistemon21 Tue 31-May-22 18:03:27

The children who do seem to be getting unnecessary unfair coverage are those of Zara and Mike Tindall when they frequent country fairs and horsey events

I wouldn't recognise them if they weren't with their parents.

Callistemon21 Tue 31-May-22 18:01:44

Glorianny

I didn't mention paying for security. Just that the private lifestyle they wanted for their children might not be so easily achieved.
As for M&H cooperating I doubt that would be seen as enough. It certainly wasn't in the past with people the press chose to pursue.

It could if they'd just kept their heads down and didn't court publicity.

Other young Royal children are not given security, are occasionally seen in public at, perhaps, a horse event but I doubt anyone would recognise them.

Glorianny Tue 31-May-22 17:57:49

maddyone Tue 31-May-22 17:52:08

Yes of course they could Glorianny.
And that isn’t a reason to pay for their security if their parents chose to live here but be none working royals. They can afford their own security. No one gets the perks of the job without doing the work. That’s the problem of the royals, their expectation to be treated differently and in a superior manner because of their birth. I see that as a problem although I know others don’t.

Joseanne Tue 31-May-22 17:48:41

I think if royals/celebrities "co-operate" with the press then they are left alone more. People like the Clooneys, Adele and Ed Sheeran manage to keep their kids out of the tabloids and the Monaco family does too. The children who do seem to be getting unnecessary unfair coverage are those of Zara and Mike Tindall when they frequent country fairs and horsey events. But isn't that members of the public snapping them, not paps?

Glorianny Tue 31-May-22 17:31:41

maddyone

Ooops, posted too soon. To follow up on your supposition that it would not cost very much to protect Archie, which is actually wrong as the provision of six months of protection for the family when they were living in Canada cost this country a quite inordinate amount of money due to the fact that the whole security team had to be accommodated abroad, with flights, etc. It’s totally unreasonable to expect this country to pay for a family and their children, who have abdicated from royal duties, and chosen to live abroad.
Furthermore, why should Archie be singled out to be protected since the Queen has twelve great grandchildren and only Williams’s children receive any protection at all, due to their father being in the direct line to ascend the throne. The other nine great grandchildren of the Queen receive no protection at all. Why is Archie different to these other great grandchildren of the Queen?
Incidentally, Archie’s parents have chosen to live in a country with a huge crime rate and murder rate, far, far higher than the UK. America is certainly not as safe as the the UK for anyone, let alone a great grandchild of the Queen.

I'll ask the same question if they had stayed in this country would there have been photos of the children in every tabloid and paps clamouring to snap them everywhere?
Could they have kept them out of the public view as they have done?

imaround Tue 31-May-22 17:26:30

VS - the US is a vast and diverse country with a huge population. Visit different regions could be similar to visiting a different country! Each one has a unique history that results in different cultural experiences. That is the beauty of the United States. You should come!

Smileless2012 Tue 31-May-22 11:28:20

Devon's a beautiful part of the country imaround one of my favourites TBH just wish we didn't live so far away from it.

VioletSky Tue 31-May-22 11:16:02

Imaround and Maddyone perhaps the queen would say "recollections may vary". But the truth is still the truth eh?

Ew still hate that phrase.

imaround hope you make it over, i'd love to visit the US one day

maddyone Mon 30-May-22 21:30:50

And you’ll be very welcome here imaround and whichever part of the country you choose to visit, I’m sure you’ll be welcomed and you’ll love it.

Of course, I have no illusions about the cost of government, it’s expensive here too, and politicians do arrange things so that they’re in pocket. But so do the royals who are able to see and suggest changes to legislation and have done so in the past, in order to benefit themselves. At least if we were a republic we could vote for our Head of State, which currently we cannot. Democracy is important to me. However I know many people like the Queen very much and are very happy to celebrate her jubilee.

Meanwhile, back to the thread subject, I really hope Thomas Markle makes a good recovery and hopefully gets to meet his grandchildren soon.