Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Ministerial code is to be watered down

(110 Posts)
TopsyIrene06 Fri 27-May-22 15:29:28

Pippa Crerar reports that the PM has watered down the ministerial code allowing ministers to break the rules without resigning. He has also blocked a bid to give his ethics advisor the power to investigate him. In addition, he also dismissed calls from Lord Geidt who asked for the power to launch an independent investigation of behaviour in the wake of the Downing Street flat row.
Anybody else picked this up?

Barmeyoldbat Wed 01-Jun-22 20:28:08

Words just fail me over the whole situation

MayBee70 Wed 01-Jun-22 19:56:20

Speakers office says the Speaker is impartial so it’s nothing to do with them. Suggests I write to my Tory whip MP. Will be interesting to see what excuse she comes up with this time. We’ve both written to her so I bet we both get exactly the same reply…..

Doodledog Sun 29-May-22 13:05:50

I'm in a Labour constituency, but sadly it's one with a Tory Council. It's not really a lucky situation, as Labour areas are starved of funds by the Tories, and the MP is in opposition, so isn't afraid of losing her seat because of Johnson's behaviour (in fact, she's more likely to hang onto it) but has very little influence on the government at times like this.

winterwhite Sun 29-May-22 11:55:36

Second that Maybee. Or a local tory MP for the lucky ones living in an opposition-held constituency. Doesn't matter if we don't get a reply. Any tory MPs who don't publicly distance themselves from this behaviour are condoning it.

MayBee70 Sun 29-May-22 10:11:23

Johnson will still get his lemmings to vote against it. That’s why we must all write to our MP’s so when they’re interviewed and say their constituents aren’t bother we know it’s a lie.

DiamondLily Sun 29-May-22 10:00:22

After recess, Labour are going to try and force a Commons vote on this, via an Opposition Day debate.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-ministerial-code-labour-vote-b2089494.html

MayBee70 Sat 28-May-22 12:05:38

mokryna

Of course Not mixing Churchill with Johnson

Might as well. Because he does !

Happygirl79 Sat 28-May-22 12:05:34

MayBee70

Johnson has removed the words ‘integrity, objectivity, accountability,transparency, honesty and leading in the public interest’. Surprise surprise. He’s removed everything that he’s incapable of following. Just about sums it up really.

Spot on

mokryna Sat 28-May-22 12:04:05

Of course Not mixing Churchill with Johnson

mokryna Sat 28-May-22 12:02:49

“History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it” – Winston Churchill

MayBee70 Sat 28-May-22 11:45:10

Johnson has removed the words ‘integrity, objectivity, accountability,transparency, honesty and leading in the public interest’. Surprise surprise. He’s removed everything that he’s incapable of following. Just about sums it up really.

MayBee70 Sat 28-May-22 11:36:30

Urmstongran

Well, well. Bob Neill, arch-remainer, calls for the PM to go. What a surprise! Not.

Back in a minute. The kettle’s just boiled. Morning everyone!

He’s a barrister. He understands the law and the need for those governing the country to uphold it.

DaisyAnne Sat 28-May-22 11:35:54

Whitewavemark2

Remember that we were told to wait for the Sue Grey report before we should question the PM over partygate.

Sue Grey reported

Response?

“Move on”

"Move on" always seems rather like the coercive controller's "you have no sense of humour" or "now you're being hysterical". It's much more about controlling the person than putting forward a view on a subject.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 28-May-22 11:07:38

Oh I should have referenced Marina Hyde

Whitewavemark2 Sat 28-May-22 11:07:09

Remember that we were told to wait for the Sue Grey report before we should question the PM over partygate.

Sue Grey reported

Response?

“Move on”

Happygirl79 Sat 28-May-22 10:57:02

Urmstongran

Oh no! Boris you foolish man.

"Minor Violations" was the phrase used. Who decides what is minor? If it is Boris alone (?) the sky might be the limit. The new Ministerial Code - aka the Chancers Charter.

Soon we will have the House of Commons twinned with Wandsworth.

Boris, I despair. You aren’t popular with many at present and yet you see fit to do this?

Thing is. He thinks he is invincible.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 28-May-22 08:39:19

Done it. My nearest Tory MP is Tim Loughton, who I met once in the HoC as he had invited my sister to meet him there.

His manners leave a lot to be desired!

Mamie Sat 28-May-22 08:36:41

I think, maybe, this time he has gone too far.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 28-May-22 08:24:39

My MP is Labour and Greens are next door, but I will find the nearest Tory MP and let her/him know if my alarm.

DiamondLily Sat 28-May-22 08:19:39

Bob Neill's public statement makes it crystal clear what his objections are. Not one word about Brexit..?

'Since the start of this episode, I have been very clear that I would wait for the conclusion of any police investigation and the publication of Sue Gray’s full report before making a judgement.

My years as a lawyer have taught me not to come to conclusions without the fullest possible evidence. I have been equally clear that we cannot have one rule for those working in government and a different one for everyone else.

Those of us who set the rules have a particular responsibility to stick to them ourselves.

Sue Gray’s report has highlighted a pattern of wholly unacceptable behaviour, spread over a number of months, by some working in 10 Downing Street, including breaking rules that caused real pain and hardship for many, and which the Government, and we as parliamentarians, were telling others to live by.

I have listened carefully to the explanations the Prime Minister has given, in Parliament and elsewhere, and, regrettably, do not find his assertions to be credible.

That is why, with a heavy heart, I submitted a letter of no confidence to Sir Graham Brady on Wednesday afternoon.

Trust is the most important commodity in politics, but these events have undermined trust in not just the office of the Prime Minister, but in the political process itself. To rebuild that trust and move on, a change in leadership is required."

DiamondLily Sat 28-May-22 08:12:37

Urmstongran

Well, well. Bob Neill, arch-remainer, calls for the PM to go. What a surprise! Not.

Bob Neill has been a loyal, stalwart Tory MP for many years.

He generally supports any PM, and is a very good local MP.

I wrote to him just year, stating my disgust, at my father having to die alone, whilst Johnson and his acolytes gathered without any regard to their own laws and rules.?

He agreed, because, fundamentally, he's a decent man who believes in standards being upheld. He doesn't condone a PM who cannot open his mouth without lies pouring out.

I don't know why Brexiteers continue with this obsession about Brexit and who voted what - it's done.

It's a complete mess, but it's over.

Good for Bob Neill. Let's hope many others follow.?

OakDryad Sat 28-May-22 08:07:58

Jonathan Lis is one of the most incisive writers on the Johnson mindset and modus operandi. Back in 2020, Lis wrote:

For Johnson, Brexit is less important than an exam. If it doesn’t work, it doesn’t matter. He will blame someone else and it was fun to try.

And so the key to this game is failure. Johnson does not set out to fail per se. Rather, failure is just another route to winning. He fails to prove the failure won’t hurt him. He sabotages things because he can.

This thinking sounds perverse because it is. It must be understood within the framework, not of governing, but of a game with one necessary victor. Success, stability and predictability are boring. Why not see how far you can push the people who support you? If you can still win with the most danger, the most excitement, inflicting the most damage, why not try?

bylinetimes.com/2020/08/28/boris-johnson-the-anti-prime-minister/

This latest development is another step in pushing. Even his most ardent supporters see this.

Urmstongran Sat 28-May-22 07:47:51

Oh no! Boris you foolish man.

"Minor Violations" was the phrase used. Who decides what is minor? If it is Boris alone (?) the sky might be the limit. The new Ministerial Code - aka the Chancers Charter.

Soon we will have the House of Commons twinned with Wandsworth.

Boris, I despair. You aren’t popular with many at present and yet you see fit to do this?

Urmstongran Sat 28-May-22 07:23:23

Ailidh Sat 28-May-22 06:14:42

It's many years, probably decades, since I read "Animal Farm" but I'm sure there's a bit in that where the rules were changed, and after a while everybody "remembered" that the new rules were the ones that had always been in place.

That's how this news hit me yesterday. ?