Gransnet forums

News & politics

Speaking the truth about brexit

(543 Posts)
varian Sat 04-Jun-22 19:39:18

Sir Anthony Gormley whose mother was German has just applied to become a German citizen and of course an EU citizen. He tells the truth about brexit. It is time more public figures told the truth about this self afflicted disaster.

www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2022/jun/04/antony-gormley-to-become-german-citizen-due-to-tragedy-of-brexit

vegansrock Tue 09-Aug-22 21:12:06

“It’s not all gloom and doom “ - just most of it.

Casdon Tue 09-Aug-22 20:11:29

I read a sad story today about the closure of one of Cardiff’s most authentic Spanish restaurants as a direct impact of Brexit. Such a shame.
www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/much-loved-cardiff-restaurant-la-24698610

Urmstongran Tue 09-Aug-22 19:59:43

Admittedly I don’t have a smartphone. Just a basic Nokia with a contract SIM. My bills seem constant pre- and post- Brexit. I’m over in Spain at the moment, ring my 90y old stepfather in the UK every day for a decent length chat to check all’s well and still only pay about £20 per month.

It’s not all gloom & doom!

varian Tue 09-Aug-22 14:05:49

Phone networks are taking advantage of post-Brexit deregulation to baffle customers into racking up large roaming bills on EU holidays, consumer rights champion Martin Lewis has warned.

At the end of June, a range of consumer protections that had been introduced after Brexit expired. As a result, phone networks are no longer required to send customers a message with pricing details when they begin roaming, nor to cap the maximum data roaming fees that can be charged monthly. Networks also no longer need to provide protections against inadvertent roaming.

In an age of data-hungry smartphones, consumers can build up huge bills in a matter of minutes without even being aware they are using their phone at all, as apps connect to the internet to check for updates after a flight or during a journey.

www.theguardian.com/money/2022/aug/08/mobile-firms-breaking-promises-on-roaming-fees-post-brexit-warns-martin-lewis

Yet another brexit bonus!!

varian Mon 08-Aug-22 21:38:50

Just one story

www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-shropshire-62439279

Whitewavemark2 Mon 08-Aug-22 19:17:49

The Brexit effect

varian Sun 07-Aug-22 18:22:41

The "minister for brexit opportunities" was so incapable of identifying any "brexit opportunities"that he had to appeal to the readers of The Sun to let him know if they had spotted any.

So far - nothing that I've heard of.

Grantanow Sun 07-Aug-22 11:36:18

Brexit has been a disaster and was chiefly a vehicle for our lying Prime Minister to get elected. Apart from the ridiculous argument about sovereignty what benefit has Brexit brought? Rees-Mogg, the laughably-entitled Minister for Brexit Opportunities, moved his finance business to Dublin to stay in the EU single market. Says it all. Michael Heseltine is right: we need to rejoin.

Fleurpepper Sun 07-Aug-22 09:24:22

'all that red tape' - where? And that is the whole point- people coming in and out of other countries in Europe have none! Simple.

Must admit, Water Companies must be so glad they got rid of all the red tape- which means can can pour raw sewage in rivers and seas without blinking an eye- how wonderful.

vegansrock Sun 07-Aug-22 09:10:27

Of the 10 most productive countries countries in the world, 7 are in the EU, 2 are aligned with the EU, so follow their rules and regulations. The U.K. was in the top 10 when it was an EU member, but now is way down the list. Could it be that the EU rules and regulations , which we were told held the U.K. back , did no such thing? Couldn’t be a big fat lie could it? Why do these EU members thrive with all that red tape , and the U.K. economy, with all those “freedoms” is going down the pan?

MaizieD Thu 04-Aug-22 11:05:32

'Ciaran the euro courier' explains why he's finally given up his once thriving courier business:

I’ll conclude : my time to pretty give up came 3 years ago when I had my accident coupled with brexit which has killed off exports . It’s killed off express moments of goods from the U.K. to the EU . It’s simply not worth it anymore . Well done to Boris Johnson and the lies

Two weeks ago I spent the night in customs arguing the toss with the douane . In January spent 16 hours in Calais waiting for paperwork . Driver spent 30 hours in Ashford . I waited a week for a commodity code to be found . It’s becoming to frequent and it grinds you down

twitter.com/vanmaneuro/status/1555088388071514113

Thread and comments are worth a read.

vegansrock Wed 03-Aug-22 20:16:16

Membership of the Eu cost about £45 per head per year - much was made of how we could save all this money and improve the NHS. Many voted believing this. Brexit has so far cost over £4500 per head…

varian Wed 03-Aug-22 19:44:03

Scottish salmon exports to France cannot survive Dover queues caused by brexit

www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/02/scottish-salmon-industry-urges-ministers-to-act-over-dover-delays

Dinahmo Wed 03-Aug-22 15:00:50

That twitter feed says it all.

Urmstongram Are you still singing the praises of Lord David Frost?

varian Wed 03-Aug-22 14:34:29

Before and after comments by the Leave liars

twitter.com/ByDonkeys/status/1554726640864870400?t=w5LSU933IkCSgNMugwOtNQ&s=19

varian Wed 03-Aug-22 12:02:54

Ten reasons brexit has been a disaster for Britain

www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/03/spiralling-inflation-crops-left-in-the-field-and-travel-chaos-10-reasons-brexit-has-been-disastrous-for-britain

Fleurpepper Tue 02-Aug-22 19:12:03

Urmstongran

I like how GB News invites people from both sides of any debate, does not interrupt them (that’s a rarity in itself, some other channels just can’t help themselves - I’m looking at you Kay Burley and you Murthy) and then viewers can be impartiality informed.

Re Brexit:
Messieurs Darmanian and Macron - two justifications right there for Brexit. I am baffled by people in this country who still want to be part of the EU. Do they have no self-respect? Or do they have a freakish liking of being disrespected by serial Brit-haters? It’s time the UK stood up to be counted. They keep pushing, we cave. I wonder - is the time coming to invoke Article 16? We have been very patient as a country but eventually if no progress is forthcoming something needs to be done to make headway with Brexit.

It is very hard and baffling to read such posts. Almost beyond belief.

GB News inform impartially? Just like Fox News.

varian Tue 02-Aug-22 19:00:20

www.universitystory.gla.ac.uk/biography/?id=WH0029&type=P

varian Tue 02-Aug-22 18:54:15

It seems to me that having these silly blue passports produced in France was the ultimate in ridiculousness.

Dinahmo Tue 02-Aug-22 10:52:31

WWM2 Incredible isn't it. All that fuss about having blue passports.

One day the Brexiteers will wake up, probably after my lifetime so I won't see it happen.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 02-Aug-22 10:13:07

I will just drop this in here

MaizieD Sun 31-Jul-22 23:40:42

Thanks. I'll try that.

flump Sun 31-Jul-22 17:06:49

I tried to highlight it but for some reason the 'Truth' bit didn't come up, twice! So, I gave up.

Type Truth to Power. It was posted on the 29th, I think.

MaizieD Sun 31-Jul-22 16:21:52

flump

Well, well, it seems "truth" is being deleted!! confused However, if anyone wants to watch, you can find it on You Tube.

I'd search for it on YouTube but unfortunately I don't know what I'm supposed to be searching for. Can you give us a title?

flump Sun 31-Jul-22 15:34:28

Well, well, it seems "truth" is being deleted!! confused However, if anyone wants to watch, you can find it on You Tube.