Gransnet forums

News & politics

Anti Brexit man silenced

(125 Posts)
LizzieDrip Wed 29-Jun-22 13:46:37

The man who has been protesting against Brexit and the Conservatives outside the House of Commons for 6 years has had his speaker confiscated by the police. This is now allowed under the new public order bill which states that the police have powers to stop a public protest if it is deemed ‘too noisy’! Is this the thin end of the wedge. Have we, in effect, lost our right to freedom of speech and to protest? This government does not like to be challenged (particularly by us plebs) so they have simply changed the law to make it fit their view. Another nail in the coffin of democracy! Why aren’t we out on the streets protesting - quietly of courseangry.

MaizieD Thu 30-Jun-22 14:58:01

Chestnut

I don't care what his message is. No-one is entitled to assault our eardrums with a megaphone and contribute to the stress and anxiety most people in London must feel already.

Oh, my heart is aching for those millions of stressed and anxious people in London...

Allsorts Thu 30-Jun-22 15:04:32

He sounds like a professional protester who doesn’t believe in working for a living.

RichmondPark Thu 30-Jun-22 15:13:58

He literally is a professional protestor. This 'doesn't work for a living' thing has already been covered in this thread. Steve has served in the army and is now funding in to campaign full time by crowdfunding.

There's a kind of 'the little man should know his place and keep his nose to the grindstone' energy about those saying he should get a normal job. Thank heavens for people who stand up for what they believe to be right.

volver Thu 30-Jun-22 15:23:02

MayBee70

I can’t do a link but there’s nothing new about what Steve is doing. Check out Mary Maloney!

My vicarious claim to fame...

I used to work with somebody whose grandfather was the chauffeur to Churchill while Mary Maloney followed him round Dundee with her bell wink

Chestnut Thu 30-Jun-22 15:26:26

MaizieD

Chestnut

I don't care what his message is. No-one is entitled to assault our eardrums with a megaphone and contribute to the stress and anxiety most people in London must feel already.

Oh, my heart is aching for those millions of stressed and anxious people in London...

And so it should. I was born and brought up in London and there is no way I would live there now. It looks far too crowded and stressful. I feel sorry for those who have to do their daily grind in that mayhem.

Baggs Thu 30-Jun-22 15:28:28

volver

mayisay

Maybe the police feel that after six years, he's made his point, and it's time to move on!

The police don't get to decide that though. Not in a free country. They are supposed to police things by our consent, not by what they want to happen.

The police haven't decided; law has.

He has not been silenced. He can continue his protest for as long as he wants, just not with a megaphone.

Baggs Thu 30-Jun-22 15:29:19

Chestnut

I agree, Chestnut. Excessive noise about anything is pollution.

volver Thu 30-Jun-22 15:43:17

Baggs

volver

mayisay

Maybe the police feel that after six years, he's made his point, and it's time to move on!

The police don't get to decide that though. Not in a free country. They are supposed to police things by our consent, not by what they want to happen.

He has not been silenced. He can continue his protest for as long as he wants, just not with a megaphone.

mayisay said that the police feel.... That's not what the police are for. I was contradicting her.

MayBee70 Thu 30-Jun-22 16:35:48

Baggs

volver

mayisay

His point at the moment is that we have a PM and a government that is corrupt and tells lies. Why should he shut up about that. It’s true. Somebody needs to say it. And as for brexit, it’s still the elephant in the room because no one (with a few exceptions eg Michael O’Leary) will admit that it’s causing problems. Everything at the moment is the fault of everybody and everything apart from the people governing this country (eg the rail strike is Labours fault) and brexit can’t possibly be responsible for labour shortages etc. because Johnson said it would be a Titanic success.

Smileless2012 Thu 30-Jun-22 17:03:59

He doesn't have to shut up he's simply had his volume turned down.

Liamsnana Thu 30-Jun-22 17:08:48

Joseanne

Does he not have a proper job? He's only early 50s. How does he find the time?

Joseanne iys his fulltime job ,he has a crowd funding page and since all this happened hes got over 6 figures on his crowd funding

Callistemon21 Thu 30-Jun-22 17:08:58

His point at the moment is that we have a PM and a government that is corrupt and tells lies. Why should he shut up about that. It’s true. Somebody needs to say it.

Lots of people are saying it.
Mr Bray doesn't need to keep braying about it through is megaphone because the majority of people ignore him, he's just utterly boring.

One of life's eccentrics but a bit quieter now.

Allsorts Thu 30-Jun-22 17:14:17

Well now he can do it quietly if people are daft enough to enable him.

MayBee70 Thu 30-Jun-22 18:12:51

Callistemon21

^His point at the moment is that we have a PM and a government that is corrupt and tells lies. Why should he shut up about that. It’s true. Somebody needs to say it.^

Lots of people are saying it.
Mr Bray doesn't need to keep braying about it through is megaphone because the majority of people ignore him, he's just utterly boring.

One of life's eccentrics but a bit quieter now.

But he was saying it way before other people were.

varian Thu 30-Jun-22 18:46:19

The point is that Steve Bray actually tells the truth, something this lying corrupt and incompetent government is trying to outlaw.

The UK gets more and more like 1984. Truth is lies. Lies are truth.

sodapop Thu 30-Jun-22 19:04:02

Like other posters I may not like how Mr Bray goes about his protest but defend his right to do so.

vegansrock good point about loud music, noisy neighbours etc. Not much police presence there.

Callistemon21 Thu 30-Jun-22 19:41:32

varian

The point is that Steve Bray actually tells the truth, something this lying corrupt and incompetent government is trying to outlaw.

But who is listening?

He sounds like one of those newspaper sellers who sold their papers in the street - an incomprehensible shout unless you knew what they were shouting!

Actually, that takes me back to fond memories of rushing for the bus home and hearing 'Evenin 'Erald'!

Baggs Thu 30-Jun-22 19:44:18

varian

No, the point is that he is free to protest but he is not free to harass people with loud noise. It doesn't matter what he's saying; the point remains the same.

Agreeing or disagreeing with what he says is irrelevant.

Callistemon21 Thu 30-Jun-22 19:44:42

varian

I'm not arguing about what he's saying, varian

But - is anyone listening to him now?

varian Thu 30-Jun-22 19:51:05

I hope more and more people are listening to Steve Bray. Callistemon

British people are getting fed up with hearing lies.

Callistemon21 Thu 30-Jun-22 20:07:43

They're not listening to him, varian.
He's just an irritating noise who interrupts news broadcasts. Sorry.

They might, however, be emailing their MPS, doing whatever they can to complain.

MayBee70 Thu 30-Jun-22 21:48:23

The noise from Westminster must travel an awfully long way to be irritating so many people….

Callistemon21 Thu 30-Jun-22 22:58:22

MayBee70

The noise from Westminster must travel an awfully long way to be irritating so many people….

It's often a strange, incomprehensible background noise trying to drown out the news broadcasts, so yes, it does travel quite far.
But no-one can hear what he's actually saying.

Joseanne Fri 01-Jul-22 06:41:38

Anyone who is a Londoner will probably agree that after a while background noise becomes part of the scene and we tend to ignore it as we get on with our daily lives. Sirens wailing all the time, shouts about this or that, music coming out of shops, screechy brakes on vehicles, demonstrations, Hare Krishnas banging drums, etc. Most people have no time to stop and listen, we just pass on by.
Perhaps he needs to re invent himself and try something new. After such a long while, although his message may be sound, his delivery if it now has the opposite effect in a fast moving world.

Joseanne Fri 01-Jul-22 07:08:38

delivery of it