Gransnet forums

News & politics

Captain Sir Tom Moore's charity under formal investigation.

(103 Posts)
Urmstongran Thu 30-Jun-22 11:33:59

From the Telegraph today:

“The foundation set up in the name of Captain Sir Tom Moore by his daughter is under investigation by the Charity Commission over a possible “significant profit” generated for her company.

The statutory inquiry is examining a deal done by Sir Tom’s daughter Hannah Ingram-Moore and her husband Colin through their own company to register trademarks relating to “Captain Tom”

I think it’s a real shame if someone is found to have been coining it in on the back of the original charity. Where big money arises it's sometimes seen as an opportunity by someone.

Joseanne Thu 30-Jun-22 13:47:46

There has also been criticism of limelight seeking in the sad case of Bowelbabe who raised millions for charity. I don't get that because surely you have to put yourself out there and manipulate appeal to the pupil somewhat to achieve your aim? The daughter couldn't have got it off the ground without the father.
I know nothing about all the legalities though.

Joseanne Thu 30-Jun-22 13:48:30

*Sir Tom's daughter I mean.

DiamondLily Thu 30-Jun-22 14:08:31

I think, in the case of Captain Tom, he was probably a nice bloke that started off walking around his garden, to raise a little bit of money.

His daughter contacted GMTV, they publicised it, and it caught the imagination of the public, and took off - in part, possibly, because we were in the first lockdown, and people wanted "something" to engage with.

I had my doubts about the wisdom of dragging him off to the Caribbean (I think), on a freebie "family" holiday, taking into account his age and failing health.

His daughter seemed to thrive on the freebies and the attention.

There have been doubts about this charity for a while.?

MissAdventure Thu 30-Jun-22 14:32:46

Hopefully it's something and nothing.

Jaxjacky Thu 30-Jun-22 14:56:58

This first reared it’s ugly bead in February, I wasn’t and am not surprised.

BlueBelle Thu 30-Jun-22 15:31:21

Diamondlily you ve said everything I was going to say I thought that Caribbean freebie was a really really bad idea and was amazed they would drag the old boy all that way
I always had a little feeling about it all but who knows Everyone from ‘his nibs with the hair’ downwards seem to be ‘on the make’
Was he, Captain Tom being manipulated ‘in the nicest possible way’ I did think the daughter seemed a bit bossy

Serendipity22 Thu 30-Jun-22 16:35:09

Flippin heck !!!! I have read all the posts and I have to say that in all truthfulness, i just admired the man soooo very much and saw it that the great British public did what we are renowned for, came together, united, in times of sheer and utter need. I viewed captain Tom's daughter as having strength and very supportive to her dad, that's it, I didn't think anything untoward because we obviously don't know the in's and out's, we only know what the press tell us.

I still cant quite get it that someone, well, I say someone, in this case, Captain Tom's daughter, would do something to blight her dads tremendous achievements!!!!!

merlotgran Fri 01-Jul-22 17:09:53

BlueBelle

Diamondlily you ve said everything I was going to say I thought that Caribbean freebie was a really really bad idea and was amazed they would drag the old boy all that way
I always had a little feeling about it all but who knows Everyone from ‘his nibs with the hair’ downwards seem to be ‘on the make’
Was he, Captain Tom being manipulated ‘in the nicest possible way’ I did think the daughter seemed a bit bossy

I’m curious. Who’s ‘his nibs with the hair?’

Lucca Fri 01-Jul-22 17:13:56

Boris

MissAdventure Fri 01-Jul-22 17:54:30

grin

BlueBelle Fri 01-Jul-22 18:18:27

Yes he who likes to not only blow his own trumpet but likes it blown for him
MissA knows what I mean

merlotgran Fri 01-Jul-22 18:21:03

Oh! I thought you meant Michael Ball.

He has lots of hair. ?

Calendargirl Fri 01-Jul-22 18:25:38

DiamondLily sums it up for me as well.

MissAdventure Fri 01-Jul-22 18:27:30

BlueBelle

Yes he who likes to not only blow his own trumpet but likes it blown for him
MissA knows what I mean

How very dare you! grin

crazyH Fri 01-Jul-22 18:28:59

‘his nibs with the hair’ ???

sazz1 Sun 03-Jul-22 11:12:47

Sadly lots of charities have these problems. One was started locally a few years ago by a couple with a disabled child to help children with the same disabilities. After a few years the parents were investigated by the charity commission. They removed the family and took over the charity, due to discrepancies in donations and amount that went to support the children.

catta5 Sun 03-Jul-22 11:13:46

yes it did make me wonder when all those millions raised with good intentions and no mention as to where the money went all i saw was sir tom in the carribean and a suite where he died after catching covid and whilst the rest of us were not allowed to be with loved ones when they died he was surrounded by his family

ruthiek Sun 03-Jul-22 11:18:01

Perhaps we should wait and see, allegations are thrown sbout but when they are unfounded it’s all kept quiet, by this time innocent peoples bakes are dragged through the mud never to recover

maddyone Sun 03-Jul-22 11:23:30

Its such a shame his memory is being tarnished.

Absolutely.

maddyone Sun 03-Jul-22 11:25:39

volver

Maybe this is comment is projection from some of the other threads going on this week...

Just because Sir Tom did a good thing that doesn't mean that all his family are angels and that the charity set up to manage his legacy is beyond criticism.

Seems to me that the investigation is about the fact that they just weren't very good at running the charity and may have profited personally. That needs investigation.

Yes.
Sad as it may be, especially with regard to Captain Tom, it does need to be investigated.

Grantanow Sun 03-Jul-22 11:36:05

I think it's quite wrong to speculate about this. Wait for the investigation to report.

DC64 Sun 03-Jul-22 11:47:48

“The publication of the first annual accounts of the foundation in March 2022 revealed the charity incurred £240,000 in costs and gave £160,000 to good causes” sky news on Captain Tom’s charity … wonder what he would make of it?

You’ve got to wonder too what’s going on with charities when the costs are so much more than the money going to the good causes - I’m sure this is common practice with charities but it makes me think twice about donating!
Just what are these costs and why so much? Shame!

grannygranby Sun 03-Jul-22 11:50:19

I never understood it. I never understood why people will do anything to avoid taxes that pay for the NHS and yet would happily send money to it as if it was a charity which it isn’t. Cleverly marketed and I’m not surprised that it was a scam. But it obviously made a lot of people feel better that they were honouring and old person being stoical and brave, a man who nonetheless had always lived a privileged life. yes he was used but he didn’t know it.

orly Sun 03-Jul-22 11:56:10

Serendipity22

Flippin heck !!!! I have read all the posts and I have to say that in all truthfulness, i just admired the man soooo very much and saw it that the great British public did what we are renowned for, came together, united, in times of sheer and utter need. I viewed captain Tom's daughter as having strength and very supportive to her dad, that's it, I didn't think anything untoward because we obviously don't know the in's and out's, we only know what the press tell us.

I still cant quite get it that someone, well, I say someone, in this case, Captain Tom's daughter, would do something to blight her dads tremendous achievements!!!!!

I agree entirely, Serendipity22. Looking at some of the mean-hearted posts on here it's clear that people just want to be offended and look for reasons that haven't bee n substantiated.

Grandmajean Sun 03-Jul-22 11:57:49

I always felt the family escalated Sir Tom's simple plan to raise a bit of money for charity into something that he never intended.