Gransnet forums

News & politics

Don’t Pay ……….. Will you be signing up? I’m in!

(134 Posts)
Sago Thu 04-Aug-22 08:06:38

“Don’t Pay” Is looking for 1 million people to stop paying their direct debit to their energy provider, this will hopefully send a message to the companies and government and lower our fuel bills.

Are you in?

Here’s a link.

www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiP5-_3zqz5AhUbHcAKHXvrAacQFnoECAcQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fdontpay.uk%2F&usg=AOvVaw3DZqE_57HPayT1PYzPiQwo

Chewbacca Thu 04-Aug-22 20:50:35

"revolutionaries" don't cut off their noses to spite their faces. Nor do they take any actions that will ultimately cause further hardship, by adding to the financial burden of those already struggling to survive.

MawtheMerrier Thu 04-Aug-22 20:39:12

Sago

Not exactly a bunch of revolutionaries are we?

Well in 6 months time no moaning about fuel bills then.

A non sequiturif ever there was one.

How helpful would it have been for the individuals who end up having their gas or electricity cut off as a consequence?

Sago Thu 04-Aug-22 20:32:51

Not exactly a bunch of revolutionaries are we?

Well in 6 months time no moaning about fuel bills then.

MawtheMerrier Thu 04-Aug-22 20:27:02

Yes, I know there have been small rises in minimum wage and pensions, and maybe they can cut out Sky, shop at Aldi etc (most already do) etc. but how can you not see how much worse off they will be?

Just to say Casdon - not they, we.

MawtheMerrier Thu 04-Aug-22 20:25:38

Certainly not.
I don’t think defaulting on my bill is an ethical or viable way of protesting.
I will have to cut back, but I can still pay, so why should anybody subsidise me? If I’ve used it, I have to pay for it. End of.

maddyone Thu 04-Aug-22 20:17:50

FannyCornforth

‘And cut their cloth&

This is utterly ridiculous

Where the f* is our Government?

Your government is giving you £900 towards your energy costs. If you’re on pension credit you’ll get another £600 towards the cost of living. That’s where your government is.

FannyCornforth Thu 04-Aug-22 18:43:00

‘And cut their cloth&

This is utterly ridiculous

Where the f* is our Government?

Chewbacca Thu 04-Aug-22 18:40:41

They sleep JaneJudge? No wonder they have no money!

JaneJudge Thu 04-Aug-22 18:32:20

They should just work harder maybe do some piece work in their sleep

Casdon Thu 04-Aug-22 18:27:59

Some of you genuinely don’t get it do you? In 2021 the average annual fuel bill was £1,277 . It rose to £1,971 from April 2022.. It is predicted to be £3615 from January 2023. Even £900 per year, which most households will only get a proportion of leaves a deficit of £2,388-£900 so they will be £1,488 worse off than they were a year before - just on fuel. The minimum wage is £9.50 per hour. So if no tax is deducted somebody on the minimum wage would have to work 150ish hours just to pay the additional fuel bill. That’s a whole month’s extra work per year just to pay the additional fuel bill even if they get £900 paid by the government. Or to put it into context for pensioners, they will be £1488 worse off, on an income of £9628 if they are a new pensioner, less otherwise. That has a massive impact. Yes, I know there have been small rises in minimum wage and pensions, and maybe they can cut out Sky, shop at Aldi etc (most already do) etc. but how can you not see how much worse off they will be?

Chestnut Thu 04-Aug-22 18:10:25

I don't understand how it will help letting your energy company know you can't afford to pay. If you don't have the money what can they do?

Lovetopaint037 Thu 04-Aug-22 18:01:46

I’m not signing. We should be getting extra help in the Autumn and not to pay anything is ridiculous. I can understand people who are really unable to afford their energy paying only what they can after alerting their energy company to their plight. There is a difference between “won’t pay” and”can’t pay”.

Smileless2012 Thu 04-Aug-22 18:00:19

I don't think the reason for this assistance matters, what matters is it's being given.

JaneJudge Thu 04-Aug-22 17:59:02

The disabled should give up sky tv <shrugs> I mean some of them don't even leave the house and removing their entertainment package will be motivation for them

JenniferEccles Thu 04-Aug-22 17:55:41

I do realise that it must be very worrying for some who may have already made many sacrifices, but those on a very low income as well as the disabled will have additional help.

In addition, the government has said that it will be constantly monitoring the situation, so there may well be additional measures announced at some point.

FannyCornforth Thu 04-Aug-22 17:28:55

Jane I love you! ?

Riverwalk Thu 04-Aug-22 17:25:35

This apparent generosity is a direct result of the two recent by-election losses... the original plan if you remember was a £200 'loan' to be credited to our electricity account then clawed back in a year or two.

Casdon Thu 04-Aug-22 17:24:03

Chestnut

BlueBelle

Oh dear JE stop defending the indefensible we in this pickle partly due to this criminal government not a generous government

Well I am getting £900 towards my fuel bill and I think that's pretty generous.

Well it will go some but nowhere near all the way towards meeting the anticipated average bill of £3600 Chestnut, but there are many families and disabled people who won’t be getting that amount.

I honestly think some of you have absolutely no idea what the lived experience of people with no savings, paying rent and trying to bring up a family on minimum wage, or living on the state pension alone is like. More and more people are being pushed into poverty every week, it’s indefensible.

TwiceAsNice Thu 04-Aug-22 17:14:10

This is a crazy idea I won’t be doing this

Chestnut Thu 04-Aug-22 16:56:40

BlueBelle

Oh dear JE stop defending the indefensible we in this pickle partly due to this criminal government not a generous government

Well I am getting £900 towards my fuel bill and I think that's pretty generous.

JaneJudge Thu 04-Aug-22 16:45:29

I don't have to use the foodbank as my massive tv makes me dust sandwiches whilst I am at work and I take the toilet roll from the staff toilets and a few tea bags here and there, so I think I'll be ok. I've also offered to sell my body on the back of the toilet door in my local wetherspoons. I just wish people would be more resourceful. Gravy sandwiches are very nutritional and you can hug the mug you made the gravy in (instant obviously) for more heat

NotSpaghetti Thu 04-Aug-22 16:41:41

I think this, Jennifer is a ridiculous statement:
Just one or two sacrifices, along with the generous help from the government and suddenly the picture doesn’t look too bad at all.

Try telling that to someone who is already working 3 jobs abd having to use food banks! How very privileged we are.

Juliet27 Thu 04-Aug-22 16:39:21

??

JaneJudge Thu 04-Aug-22 16:34:46

I have literally paid my fuel bill by taking up shoplifting as a hobby.

VioletSky Thu 04-Aug-22 16:27:51

Bluebell I read that as pickle party and confused myself

True though