Gransnet forums

News & politics

The increasing and annoying use of the word STAYCATION...

(96 Posts)
JaneJudge Thu 04-Aug-22 21:17:32

...to mean going on HOLIDAY in the UK

It used to mean staying at home and having 'holiday' from work and having day trips etc. HOW ON EARTH has it now meant going on AN ACTUAL HOLIDAY in THE UK

Since when has a holiday not been a HOLIDAY

grr

JaneJudge Fri 05-Aug-22 10:58:04

I was just about to add that NotSpaghetti, you can go to another country within the UK anyway grin

NotSpaghetti Fri 05-Aug-22 11:31:15

And if you are an American I suppose the logical answer is that pretty much every holiday is a staycation - whether you are on a beach, skiing, visiting vineyards or whatever!

NotSpaghetti Fri 05-Aug-22 11:32:05

Janejudge - yes! That is not any kind of holiday to me!

Baggs Fri 05-Aug-22 11:40:08

I love how human beings keep on making up new words, some of which will last centuries and some of which won't, just as it's always been. The English #wordhorde is great.

RichmondPark1 Fri 05-Aug-22 12:18:01

I completely agree with you NotSpaghetti and JaneJudge there is so much to see in the UK.

Dinahmo Fri 05-Aug-22 12:28:50

In the last century we stayed in a house in Northumberland, near Hexham. Beautiful countryside and coast. The two things that we missed were the foreign markets for shopping for our meals and the cafes. There was no fun in shopping in supermarkets in Hexham because it was the same as shopping in Suffolk. We did however find an artisan cheese maker and pubs with nice gardens. Plenty of cafes in Italy and France but no pubs apart from the few operated by Brits - mainly in Spain I think.

RichmondPark1 Fri 05-Aug-22 12:40:28

Funny you should mention Northumberland Dinahmo because I recall having a coffee in the market place in the centre of Alnwick and thinking that it felt very French there.
www.flickr.com/photos/bazrichardson/25921382878

JaneJudge Fri 05-Aug-22 12:52:49

That looks beautiful smile I have never been to Northumberland and would love to go.

FannyCornforth Fri 05-Aug-22 13:30:04

JaneJudge

That looks beautiful smile I have never been to Northumberland and would love to go.

It’s unbelievably beautiful.
When I first saw Bamburgh Castle I nearly cried.
The beaches at Beadnell are amazing.
We usually stay in Alnmouth.
You’d love it Jane

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 05-Aug-22 13:45:12

MzOops is going there next week with her partner and MasterOops. The scenery looks wonderful.

JaneJudge Fri 05-Aug-22 13:46:54

I should most probably just book it up smile Does Alnmouth have
places to eat/shop/drink?

RichmondPark1 Fri 05-Aug-22 14:00:35

Yes it does Jane. Also the most wonderful book shop,a fantastic castle with incredible gardens and a beautiful beach and the sea at nearby Alnmouth. We loved it there

JaneJudge Fri 05-Aug-22 14:04:41

Oh smile it sounds perfect

RichmondPark1 Fri 05-Aug-22 14:05:24

Argh, you were asking about Alnmouth and I talked about Alnwick. The answer to your question is yes. The two places are a short bus ride apart.

FannyCornforth Fri 05-Aug-22 14:31:07

Jane Alnmouth doesn’t have much shop wise.
A post office that sells all necessities; and a ‘deli’ which isn’t that great.
Three lovely pubs.
A smashing chippy.
A couple of little cafes.
A historic links golf course.
The smallest visitor attraction ever!
You are just 15 minutes down the road from Aldi and Sainsburys where we got all our food and booze from, and of course Alnwick.
It’s very dog friendly - in fact I took Gracie to the vets there!
It’s very friendly altogether.

But I think that you’ll be extremely lucky if you can get anything booked now for the next few months.
Northumbrian Coast & Country Cottages is a good place to start.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 05-Aug-22 14:57:38

MawtheMerrier

When I was a child people often couldn’t afford to go away for a holiday and the usual response to “Are you going away for your holidays this year?” was “We’re just going to have days out” which would mean a few day trips, often by coach (excursion buses) to the likes of North Berwick, Spittal or my favourite destination on the front of the bus - “Mystery” - in other words a Mystery Tour.
(Going abroad was very unusual, and seen as a bit “posh” )

Round here it's called "Days here and there".

I like the idea of a Mystery Tour!

JaneJudge Fri 05-Aug-22 16:42:14

Fanny, I can't really afford to book it up straight away, I was thinking next year grin x

FannyCornforth Fri 05-Aug-22 16:47:35

I’ll pm you later with my favourite cottage Jane grin

FannyCornforth Fri 05-Aug-22 16:48:08

Perhaps we could meet up there!

Grantanow Sun 07-Aug-22 11:16:13

English is an evolving language and staycation is just a new word. No problem with that surely.

JdotJ Sun 07-Aug-22 11:18:13

"Stopathome" and "Windowsill Bay" for me this year

DaisyAnne Sun 07-Aug-22 11:23:59

Grantanow

English is an evolving language and staycation is just a new word. No problem with that surely.

I agree. And why be pleased that other are irritated. This is neither News or Politics. I wonder why it isn't under Chat?

Parsley3 Sun 07-Aug-22 11:28:28

In my young day, when asked where they were going on their holidays, people who were not going away would answer Haimeldayme.

pascal30 Sun 07-Aug-22 11:31:25

holistay is so awful I think I'll start using it when I use my bus pass for days out!!!

coastalgran Sun 07-Aug-22 12:06:59

Why can't people just say where they are going in the UK for their holiday, is it in some way less exciting or exotic than going overseas. With all the problems travelling overseas I think it would be rather good to stay put and holiday in the UK giving much needed money to the home economy.