Gransnet forums

News & politics

I hope Liz Truss mean it when she says no handouts ...

(7 Posts)
DaisyAnne Sun 07-Aug-22 10:10:30

... as so far, they are all handouts to the gas companies.

We may be useful conduits, to make the payments look reasonable. However, why not pass it directly to the gas companies, as that's where it's intended to go?

And it is a handout? Given to you or me, does it improve our lives? That's what a "handout" is supposed to do. Well, it doesn't improve my life. I had gas last year. This money intends to ensure I have, possibly less, gas this year.

Given to the gas companies, via us, via the energy companies, from the contries wealth, it certainly improves the lives of the shareholders of the Gas companies.

Do the MPs, particularly the two candidates for leadership of this tired party, really think we haven't noticed?

Grantanow Sun 07-Aug-22 11:30:29

Gas is going to become very expensive. It's better in my view if the government subsidizes it for consumers and it doesn't really matter whether that is via a handout to consumers or direct to the gas companies. Liz Truss is against handouts and for lower taxes but that won't help the working poor who don't usually pay tax. Her intention to cut the NI increase will deprive the NHS and care of much needed income. Labour should nationalize the gas, electricity and water businesses as soon as they get elected.

FlexibleFriend Sun 07-Aug-22 11:41:28

My gas consumption is minimal tbh and always has been, so mine will be paying for electricity usage if paid direct to the supplier. Anything paid to me will be my decision who gets paid.

DaisyAnne Sun 07-Aug-22 11:50:28

Why does energy need to be so expensive? I understand the shortage argument. I am unconvinced they need such largess.

How about telling these companies that the country will pay the increased cost to the distributors but will tax the same amount back from the energy providers?

Grantanow Wed 10-Aug-22 17:29:22

Truss's objection to handouts (that she does not want to take money off people through tax and then give it back to them) is ridiculous. Taxation is about re-allocating money to pay for services like the NHS, the military and social care (not much on that). A tax on the energy companies can be used to help families who need help and not those who don't. It's redistribution. Truss's version is naive to say the least. When she says 'people' she is avoiding company taxation as a source of tax.

DaisyAnne Wed 10-Aug-22 22:45:45

I resent her use of the word "handout". We have all paid into insurance; some need to call on it. Would she see it as a 'handout' if she needed to claim on her car or household insurance?

As I intimated, there are very clear handouts. The first is for companies who don't pay their workers enough to live on, knowing their insurance will pick up the tag. It should be the companies who apply for benefits, not their workers.

The second one is the pension we all paid for. The government could choose to give us a living pension. So far they have not. Many fall through the cracks of a complex pension benefit system.

And now we have these inflated fuel prices. So the government gives the money to those who don't need the anxiety. They pass to the distributor. They pass it to the energy companies. Madness. The government should be negotiating with the companies with the threat of possible acquisition.

62Granny Thu 11-Aug-22 16:29:34

I know a lot of pension funds are locked into the share markets, but surely a fairer way of coping with this would be to stop the energy companies making such huge profits and paying its managers mind boggling amounts in bonus for the next few years.