Gransnet forums

News & politics

Gordon Brown demands emergency budget

(73 Posts)
DaisyAnne Sun 07-Aug-22 14:30:40

This has been reported in various papers, online and on various news programmes. www.thenational.scot/news/20606466.gordon-brown-demands-emergency-budget-truss-sunak-bicker-cost-living-help/ This is one report.

I do wonder if they are, yet again, waiting for Labour to come up with a plan. It's getting to be their way of being in government.

Grany Mon 08-Aug-22 21:13:37

Gordon Brown ex pm doing the media rounds where is #starmer? He must be on holiday.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=qhr6_mSoZ8E

MayBee70 Mon 08-Aug-22 21:17:17

Oh give it a rest will you….

Floradora9 Mon 08-Aug-22 21:19:30

I really admire Gordon Brown and his principles he is sadly misunderstood and is a true Christian . He is a true son of the manse. He sees what the poorer people of his constituency are suffering as he has hands on involvment in the local food banks. He takes no income from the books he writes donating all the profits to charity .

DaisyAnne Mon 08-Aug-22 22:02:17

The way Katie is describing what many see to have been a) started in America and b) well handled by Brown both in this country and leading the world, I am just waiting for her to tell us he is a lizard in disguise or something along those lines. It all sounds very extreme.

DaisyAnne Mon 08-Aug-22 22:56:30

It seems to have prompted Sunak to come forward to say there will be more and the Ed Davey has called for government pay £36bn cost in new ‘energy furlough scheme’.

More here: www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/08/ed-davey-calls-for-energy-furlough-scheme-to-avoid-october-price-cap-rise?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_gu&utm_medium&utm_source=Twitter

Katie59 Tue 09-Aug-22 08:01:50

MaizieD

Katie59

DaisyAnne

Katie, many world leaders praised Gordon Brown at the time and since. Just out of interest, why do you think you know better than they did?

New Labour promoted deregulation that caused the banks to take risks Brown supported that, so why give him credit for a very costly recovery.

I'm sorry, Katie59, but shouldn't it be the bankers that you are blaming, not Brown.? As I said earlier, bankers are supposed to be responsible actors, not wild gamblers. They shouldn't actually need to be heavily regulated. The fact that they weren't responsible was not Brown's fault. Treating them like responsible adults was clearly a mistake... in hindsight.

Wherever did you get the idea that bankers did anything other than look after their own interests, unregulated they took risks to make a quick buck which was great until the bubble burst.

MaizieD Tue 09-Aug-22 08:40:24

Katie59

MaizieD

Katie59

DaisyAnne

Katie, many world leaders praised Gordon Brown at the time and since. Just out of interest, why do you think you know better than they did?

New Labour promoted deregulation that caused the banks to take risks Brown supported that, so why give him credit for a very costly recovery.

I'm sorry, Katie59, but shouldn't it be the bankers that you are blaming, not Brown.? As I said earlier, bankers are supposed to be responsible actors, not wild gamblers. They shouldn't actually need to be heavily regulated. The fact that they weren't responsible was not Brown's fault. Treating them like responsible adults was clearly a mistake... in hindsight.

Wherever did you get the idea that bankers did anything other than look after their own interests, unregulated they took risks to make a quick buck which was great until the bubble burst.

You're not understanding my point at all, are you Katie59?

I'm not saying that is what I believe. I am suggesting it as a rationale for deregulation and what a reasonable person would think about the business principles exercised by people responsible for other people's money.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 09-Aug-22 10:02:55

Bankers knowingly broke the law in the USA and Europe.

There is no legislation that will stop that, nor did it, until it collapsed around them.

Ilovecheese Tue 09-Aug-22 10:04:19

The Conservatives were also in favour of deregulating the banks, even more so than Gordon Brown.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 09-Aug-22 10:05:02

Not sure why energy is being put into an event that happened over a decade ago?

Today we are facing the biggest cost of living crises since records began.

That deserves our total focus I would have thought.

MaizieD Tue 09-Aug-22 10:24:48

Not sure why energy is being put into an event that happened over a decade ago?

Well, you know me, Wwmk2. I like a debate grin

I also dislike people rewriting history.

maddyone Tue 09-Aug-22 10:30:43

Esspee

Chardy did you mean Gordon Brown when you wrote “A man with principles?”

As I remember he raped billions out of our (your’s and my) pension funds and sold off all our gold reserves, and wasn’t he the one who introduced quantative easing - in other words printing money to pretend to pay debts?

Thanks for pointing out the facts Esspee. The facts are often conveniently forgotten.

Katie59 Tue 09-Aug-22 10:32:30

“I'm not saying that is what I believe. I am suggesting it as a rationale for deregulation and what a reasonable person would think about the business principles exercised by people responsible for other people's money.”

The problem was that the executives that run the bank like Fred Goodwin at RBS we’re getting massive bonuses for increasing turnover, they were taking big risks doing it. When it crashed they still kept their bonuses (mostly) the banks and ultimately the government had to make up the losses.

It was/is the greed of the people running the institutions that have to be controlled

Whitewavemark2 Tue 09-Aug-22 10:37:15

So I take it that those attacking the messenger, also profoundly disagree with his message?

For myself, I am grateful that we have someone who is addressing the existential crises facing pensioners, families with children and the disabled.

maddyone Tue 09-Aug-22 10:38:27

It was/is the greed of the people running the institutions that have to be controlled.

Yes indeed and successive governments have nothing at all to deal with this.

Katie59 Tue 09-Aug-22 11:04:41

For what it’s worth I agree with what Brown is saying currently, which is easy because he has no responsibility, it’s the way that he failed to manage the economy during the Blair years that I cannot accept.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 09-Aug-22 11:14:09

Katie59

For what it’s worth I agree with what Brown is saying currently, which is easy because he has no responsibility, it’s the way that he failed to manage the economy during the Blair years that I cannot accept.

Not that easy apparently. No other politician has recognised the crises for pensioners, families with children, and disabled.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 09-Aug-22 11:16:24

Katie59

You are incorrect in your belief that Brown mismanaged the economy, but frankly it is immaterial in relation to the crises we are facing.

Katie59 Tue 09-Aug-22 11:17:53

Whitewavemark2

Katie59

Not that easy apparently. No other politician has recognised the crises for pensioners, families with children, and disabled.

They are all under the “whip” scared to step out of line, the shadow transport minister did and got sacked

Whitewavemark2 Tue 09-Aug-22 11:23:29

Katie59

Whitewavemark2

Katie59

They are all under the “whip” scared to step out of line, the shadow transport minister did and got sacked

?

MaizieD Tue 09-Aug-22 11:31:51

Whitewavemark2

Katie59

Whitewavemark2

Katie59

?

Re-writing history already grin

greenlady102 Tue 09-Aug-22 11:34:01

he (or anyone) can demand what they like but as my mother used to say "I wants never gets"

Whitewavemark2 Tue 09-Aug-22 11:40:40

greenlady102

he (or anyone) can demand what they like but as my mother used to say "I wants never gets"

?

Casdon Tue 09-Aug-22 11:44:39

greenlady102

In this case you are wrong I believe. The Tory government have definitely heard him, as have the public. He’s a trusted older statesman, and at the moment people like him are in very short supply, I’m very glad he’s spoken up now.
Interesting analysis from Sky News.
news.sky.com/story/gordon-brown-not-keir-starmer-played-a-blinder-by-calling-for-emergency-cost-of-living-measures-12668629

Dickens Tue 09-Aug-22 13:26:56

nanasam

None of your business, Gordon

I think he now works for the WHO (global health financing).

Why do you think it's none of his business?

Former MPs pop up all the time to give an opinion - on both sides of the divide.