Gransnet forums

News & politics

Salman Rushdie Attacked.

(66 Posts)
Blossoming Sat 13-Aug-22 10:29:01

The author Salman Rushdie is horribly injured and fighting for his life in hospital, all because he wrote a book.

Link to a report on the BBC website,

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-62528689

Chestnut Sat 13-Aug-22 23:52:06

Blossoming

Have you actually read The Satanic Verses, Chestnut? I have, nowhere does it incite ‘murder and violence’ or insult anybody’s faith.

It is actually overlong, turgid and quite boring, nowhere near as good as Midnight’s Children, but if we’re going to issue fatwas on authors for those reasons it’ll be a bloody long list.

Most, if not all, of those involved in this hate crime against Rushdie will not have read this book,

I never said the book itself incites murder or violence but the very publishing of it does because of the crazy radical types who will see it as an insult. It is clear that the book is still seen as deeply offensive to this day by those people. Not only Rushdie has been attacked but now J K Rowling is being threatened. How many more? Whatever you think of the book or his right to publish it I feel it was not a good move because of the repercussions.

SueDonim Sat 13-Aug-22 23:22:35

Openly provocative or maybe challenging orthodoxies?

Galaxy Sat 13-Aug-22 23:18:23

And who will decide what is offensive? Who gets that power? Johnson? Trump? If not them why not? They were democratically elected so are you ok with those people having control over speech. You dont get to choose who holds the power you know.
Religions influence society and hold considerable power, of course they should be subjects of discussion, literature and even comedy.

Blossoming Sat 13-Aug-22 20:07:40

Have you actually read The Satanic Verses, Chestnut? I have, nowhere does it incite ‘murder and violence’ or insult anybody’s faith.

It is actually overlong, turgid and quite boring, nowhere near as good as Midnight’s Children, but if we’re going to issue fatwas on authors for those reasons it’ll be a bloody long list.

Most, if not all, of those involved in this hate crime against Rushdie will not have read this book,

Allsorts Sat 13-Aug-22 19:53:31

Fatwa was revoked in 1998, but some didn’t recognise it. Everyone should have the right to freedom of speech, he knew when he wrote the book it would offend certain sectors of the Muslim community, but did it any way. I don’t think people should be openly provocative and insult people whatever their race or religion. The person who tried to kill Salman is hailed a hero by many, it us truly sickening, all in the name of religion. It’s beyond reason.

Smileless2012 Sat 13-Aug-22 17:14:56

Yes, you're right there Caleo.

Caleo Sat 13-Aug-22 16:57:59

Rosina wrote of Rushdie:
"He, above all, must have known that controversy would be the least reaction he might expect."

Yes, and so did Jesus .

Caleo Sat 13-Aug-22 16:54:55

It's not "insulting "to remark that Islam is more authoritarian and more politicised than most Christian sects.

Caleo Sat 13-Aug-22 16:52:46

Smileless wrote:
"Unfortunately Caleo the 'reward' is still on the table, it should have been rescinded."

So I now understand . I understand there was a more liberal ayatollah, but after him Iran reverted to full- on theocracy.

Chestnut Sat 13-Aug-22 16:52:19

Galaxy

You have just pretty much insulted everything I believe in chestnut. Who gets to decide what is insulting and offensive.

So you believe inciting murder and violence is acceptable and also insulting other people's faiths? I'm astonished.

Galaxy Sat 13-Aug-22 16:24:29

You have just pretty much insulted everything I believe in chestnut. Who gets to decide what is insulting and offensive.

Lucca Sat 13-Aug-22 16:16:39

Jaberwok

paddyann, all the ills of this world according to you are the fault of the Westminster government ! I don't think think even you can blame this appalling attack on Boris/ the tories!!! It has deep historic roots and for the last umpteen years was unfortunately an accident waiting to happen.

I don’t feel that’s what paddy Ann meant or said. I understood her to mean that this government seems to be heading towards becoming an intolerant regime …like Iran, not that it was responsible for this incident.

Chestnut Sat 13-Aug-22 15:13:00

Galaxy

He is a brave man and the attack is appalling. I dont understand how people can say but its offensive. Numerous posts on here offend me, so what. Free speech is in my opinion one of the most important parts of our democracy.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Free speech that incites violence or murder is not acceptable. I cannot understand why he wrote such a book as he must have known the furore it would cause. Not only putting him and his family at risk but possibly numerous other people in the world (we have no idea how many).

I feel respect is the thing missing in this world, especially respect for other people's beliefs. Why publish things that are deliberately insulting to another faith? I really dislike the Muslim religion mostly because of their attitudes towards women, but I don't believe that insulting them is the way to go. Just as insulting the Christian faith is unacceptable, or indeed any faith.

Chestnut Sat 13-Aug-22 14:47:52

Knittingnovice

@Chestnut Do you remember the name of the TV show?

I'm trying to remember as the programme has now become relevant after this attack. About 3-5 years ago a young Muslim journalist went around Bradford talking to Muslims and the book was part of it (not sure if it was just about the book but maybe). There had been very strong feelings there when the book came out and things hadn't changed amongst the older ones. If I find the programme I'll post it here, but I don't even remember what channel it was on.

Kinsi10 Sat 13-Aug-22 14:30:15

Well said jaberwok

MayBee70 Sat 13-Aug-22 14:08:43

paddyann54

Sadly Grantanow Johnson's governments attacks on freedom of speech ,anti protest ect will make us just as bad as Iran .Time the people of the "united" Kingdom opened their eyes and kicked the tories to the kerb before its too late .Democracy is under threat here and has been for a long time

I agree. They aren’t even hiding the fact that they’re doing it but the electorate don’t seem to care.

SueDonim Sat 13-Aug-22 13:50:08

Nicola Sturgeon launched her own attack on freedom of speech with her Hate Crime Bill! No doubt Westminster made her do it. hmm

As for Mr Rushdie, this attack on him is appalling. Why shouldn’t people write controversial things? Like Galaxy, I read or see things I find offensive but the other party is entitled to say what they wish, just as I am entitled to disagree.

Ailidh Sat 13-Aug-22 13:29:30

Witzend- how horrible for them. An I'm sure you're right.

Smileless2012 Sat 13-Aug-22 13:28:34

Attacks on freedom of speech and protest are hardly in the same vein as a death sentence and the substantial reward for whoever manages to carry it out paddyann

Jaberwok Sat 13-Aug-22 13:22:00

paddyann, all the ills of this world according to you are the fault of the Westminster government ! I don't think think even you can blame this appalling attack on Boris/ the tories!!! It has deep historic roots and for the last umpteen years was unfortunately an accident waiting to happen.

Galaxy Sat 13-Aug-22 13:13:33

He is a brave man and the attack is appalling. I dont understand how people can say but its offensive. Numerous posts on here offend me, so what. Free speech is in my opinion one of the most important parts of our democracy.

paddyann54 Sat 13-Aug-22 13:08:24

Sadly Grantanow Johnson's governments attacks on freedom of speech ,anti protest ect will make us just as bad as Iran .Time the people of the "united" Kingdom opened their eyes and kicked the tories to the kerb before its too late .Democracy is under threat here and has been for a long time

Witzend Sat 13-Aug-22 12:16:16

Ailidh, possibly for the same reason that a student dd and female friends, had young boys of no more than 10 or 12, of Asian families, yelling things like, ‘Dirty white whore!’ at them, in a street in Nottingham.

Entrenched prejudice, presumably learned from their elders.

Rosina Sat 13-Aug-22 12:14:26

This attack is appalling, and hopefully the guilty person is in custody, and Salman Rushdie will live, and recover. However - and this in no way attempts to migtigate what has happened - I have wondered since the original furore about 'The Satanic Verses' why Salman Rushdie, born into this incredibly sensitive and easily inflamed faith, chose to write as he did. He, above all, must have known that controversy would be the least reaction he might expect.

Ailidh Sat 13-Aug-22 12:07:17

When the fatwa was issues, I was living and working in a majority Gujarati area of Batley, West Yorkshire.

Local children came and smashed bottles in my front yard, and when asked why, they said it was because of Salman Rushdie.

I never quite got why I, an ethnic Scot, should suffer racist attacks because of an ethnic Indian.

I tried to read the book but found I didn't take to his style at all.

That anecdote aside, I am horrified at this attack, for whatever reason it was committed.