Gransnet forums

News & politics

Why is Boris still PM if he's going to do no work?

(219 Posts)
GagaJo Mon 15-Aug-22 09:16:20

Just that really. Is he only remaining as official PM to get paid? Because if he has no intention of working, surely he should be taken off the books, as any of us would be if we absented ourselves from work.

maddyone Fri 19-Aug-22 11:16:46

I actually find it incredible that grans on here, educated people (many of them) and people of mature years, are unable to see the fact that this is so rude and so unacceptable, and actually think it’s funny. and that it shows up Britain.

maddyone Fri 19-Aug-22 11:13:05

To be honest, the get back to work thing is one thing, you fat ponce just shows up the person for their bad manners. Brits abroad, cringe worthy.

maddyone Fri 19-Aug-22 11:10:37

vegansrock

Anyone seen the pictures going the Twitter rounds of Johnson on his Greek holiday being heckled by Brits, one man yelling “ get back to work you fat ponce”. Was shown on Italian tv. Won’t make it onto British channels methinks.

Oh dear, that’s unbelievably rude of whoever it was who said it. If I saw a politician or any other well known person whilst I was on holiday, I would probably have a discreet look, but I’d wouldn’t dream of being so rude. Especially abroad where others could see/hear.

Callistemon21 Fri 19-Aug-22 10:59:37

?

Who's filming?

Petera Fri 19-Aug-22 10:42:13

Callistemon21

^Good to see Brits giving him a dose of reality. He always acts as though he thinks everyone loves him, whereas, in fact, very few people do.^

Whilst I might agree with that, what I find amusing is that posters are always being asked for evidence to back up their posts and not just rumours, stories in the Daily Mail and other dubious sources of information.

?

Fullfact are saying 'no evidence'.

But maybe we can arrange for GN members to go out of their front doors at 8pm tonight and shout it in unison.

Callistemon21 Fri 19-Aug-22 10:32:34

Good to see Brits giving him a dose of reality. He always acts as though he thinks everyone loves him, whereas, in fact, very few people do.

Whilst I might agree with that, what I find amusing is that posters are always being asked for evidence to back up their posts and not just rumours, stories in the Daily Mail and other dubious sources of information.

?

Bex5 Fri 19-Aug-22 10:12:18

If sweeping and loo role changing were a job a mate of Boris would have the contract and it would cost minimum £3million

DaisyAnne Fri 19-Aug-22 08:51:08

What a weird thread.

Joseanne Fri 19-Aug-22 08:40:19

Sorry again, but has anyone on here actually heard the insult? I watched the original clip in the food shop and there is no aural evidence of anything having been said. Apparently the twitter account it stems from is known for false information.
It's not that I disagree with the supposedly shouted message, Boris does seem to make the job of being PM look a bit of a doddle, but I don't consider it newsworthy event just because Italian TV has picked up a non story.
I'll await confirmation that "lots of people will have" heard it and not just "seen it", and I will happily leave this thread if we can listen to the unpleasant insult. That is the trouble with things that can't be instantly proved. They rumble on for days.

MaizieD Thu 18-Aug-22 22:41:22

I wouldn't worry too much. It's been doing the rounds on twitter, and probably on other social media... So lots of people will have seen it,,,

vegansrock Thu 18-Aug-22 21:37:07

Italian TV was reporting on it, it wasn’t Italians doing the shouting, It wasn’t just in Italy anyway, other countries also have shown it. Why wouldn’t a newsworthy event featuring our own dear leader be shown? Or are we only allowed official portraits with him in hi viz and hard hats doing a photo op?

Iam64 Thu 18-Aug-22 21:09:42

Joseanne, I’ve not seen anyone ‘concerned’ about Italian tv showing the film of British tourists heckling Johnson
Why wasn’t it shown here? It’s becoming difficult not to conclude our media filters negative publicity on Johnson

Fleurpepper Thu 18-Aug-22 15:50:03

Joseanne

Mi scusi for mentioning other countries again, but why are we so worried about what was shown on Italian TV about our PM? Aren't the Italians way down the list for productivity anyway? And surely their own government is currently in a very precarious state anyway? Sounds like they are doing a bit of deflection.

My concern is more about the fact British TV and Press, have chosen, or been told - to not show this to us.

MaizieD Thu 18-Aug-22 14:41:01

Joseanne

Mi scusi for mentioning other countries again, but why are we so worried about what was shown on Italian TV about our PM? Aren't the Italians way down the list for productivity anyway? And surely their own government is currently in a very precarious state anyway? Sounds like they are doing a bit of deflection.

I'm not worried about it, just amused.

Good to see Brits giving him a dose of reality. He always acts as though he thinks everyone loves him, whereas, in fact, very few people do.

Joseanne Thu 18-Aug-22 12:32:30

Petera Thu 18-Aug-22 12:03:08

vegansrock

Anyone seen the pictures going the Twitter rounds of Johnson on his Greek holiday being heckled by Brits, one man yelling “ get back to work you fat ponce”. Was shown on Italian tv. Won’t make it onto British channels methinks.

I can't find the link just now but apparently followed by a woman shouting something like "No you've done enough damage, just stay here".

Also on twitter at the moment: It's Thursday, let's all get out tonight and clap for the energy companies instead of paying them. Just like the nurses.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 18-Aug-22 11:51:15

vegansrock

I know about paternity leave but the poster said maternity leave. Funny that the H o C rules make it almost impossible for women MPs who have given birth to take their maternity leave entitlement.

On that I totally agree with you.

I am not in favour of babies in the House of Commons or Lords, but surely there must be something that could be done in order for female MPs to have children without giving up their vote.

vegansrock Thu 18-Aug-22 11:50:35

GrannyGravy13 Thu 18-Aug-22 11:49:20

maddyone

I’ve often thought that no Prime Ministers actually do any constituency work. Does someone else do their local surgeries do you think?

Just had a look online and apparently they do keep up their constituency work, they hold surgeries but not as often as other MPs.

This is where the constituency back room staff step up.

vegansrock Thu 18-Aug-22 11:48:44

I know about paternity leave but the poster said maternity leave. Funny that the H o C rules make it almost impossible for women MPs who have given birth to take their maternity leave entitlement.

maddyone Thu 18-Aug-22 11:36:39

I’ve often thought that no Prime Ministers actually do any constituency work. Does someone else do their local surgeries do you think?

Mamie Thu 18-Aug-22 11:34:04

If you could claim paternity leave in arrears he would do really well, wouldn't he? ?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 18-Aug-22 11:09:36

vegansrock

I didn’t know he qualified for maternity leave.

U.K. Paternity leave is 1-2 weeks fully paid (included is adoptive parents)

vegansrock Thu 18-Aug-22 10:57:10

I didn’t know he qualified for maternity leave.

Jodieb Thu 18-Aug-22 10:37:31

Everyone forgets he never took maternity leave x2 after Carrie gave birth.