Gransnet forums

News & politics

Overseas Recruitment Spree

(13 Posts)
Daisymae Fri 19-Aug-22 10:36:22

Seems that there's going to be a huge recruitment drive to help fill the 160,000 vacancies in the care sector ahead of the predicted winter crises. Managers off to the Philippines and India. Not sure that the current immigration policies are working.

nanna8 Fri 19-Aug-22 10:41:05

Same in this country. They’ll probably just swap with each other. We get a lot of British nurses and some doctors as well. I know some go over to the UK from here, especially younger ones.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 19-Aug-22 10:48:46

Nothing new, there have been overseas recruitment drives for many many years.

Visgir1 Fri 19-Aug-22 10:59:07

It's been happening for about 20 years at least.
NHS has whole overseas commitments living around local hospitals. All happy after making the right decision. I work with overseas staff, they are buying houses, cars something not always obtainable in their own country.

My sister works for a large Care Home group at least once a year she flys off somewhere to do recruiting the packages are worth it for those keen to do. They have to meet certain standards prior, Education, English and background checks.
Everything sorted up front for them.
These people get more education, experience and money. So when they return after about 5 or more years they are able to step into higher positions.

Daisymae Fri 19-Aug-22 11:53:35

I'm thinking that fewer than 160000 have been needed/recruited

Fleurpepper Sat 20-Aug-22 16:31:16

GrannyGravy13

Nothing new, there have been overseas recruitment drives for many many years.

Yes, that is true, especially Post War. But the only reason they are required NOW, is because this Government has either directly or indirectly got rid of hundreds of thousands of workers and their families that were happily settled here, and working us for the benefit of all of us.

So they've got rid of those who were settled, trained, had learnt the language, contributing to society- because they were 'stealing the jobs for locals'. And as we knew (and even Liz Truss mentionned this recently!) - the locals don't want those jobs and just can't be forced to do them.

varian Sat 20-Aug-22 17:30:16

Yet another brexit bonus

Casdon Sat 20-Aug-22 17:37:49

Honestly, this government has demonstrated its inability to organise a p… up in a brewery. This was entirely predictable. They’ve had 12 years to sort out training numbers in health professions, 12 years to pay the going rate for jobs, and 12 years to develop retention policies which make roles attractive. It will take more than 12 years to get back to the position we were in 12 years ago when the Tories came into power. So utterly depressing.

RichmondPark1 Sat 20-Aug-22 20:18:12

I worry about the poorer countries that will lose good medical staff as a result of this recruitment drive.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 20-Aug-22 20:25:29

RichmondPark1

I worry about the poorer countries that will lose good medical staff as a result of this recruitment drive.

I temped in a big teaching hospital’s medical staffing department 45 years ago, they regularly recruited from Asia, Africa and elsewhere, it really isn’t anything new.

Fleurpepper Sat 20-Aug-22 20:46:23

No-one said it had not happened before. Those drive were successful, good people came, worked hard, settled, and were got rid! So we now need more, all over again.

RichmondPark1 Sat 20-Aug-22 20:52:46

GrannyGravy13

RichmondPark1

I temped in a big teaching hospital’s medical staffing department 45 years ago, they regularly recruited from Asia, Africa and elsewhere, it really isn’t anything new.

The fact that it isn't new doesn't make it less of a drain on the countries where Britain is recruiting their skilled staff.

I remember people saying about Brexit that we could cope better on our own and that we'd stood alone during the war and thinking that it was rubbish. This is the proof that we clearly can't cope without immigrants and have never done so.

Fleurpepper Sun 21-Aug-22 12:51:09

RichmondPark1

GrannyGravy13

RichmondPark1

The fact that it isn't new doesn't make it less of a drain on the countries where Britain is recruiting their skilled staff.

I remember people saying about Brexit that we could cope better on our own and that we'd stood alone during the war and thinking that it was rubbish. This is the proof that we clearly can't cope without immigrants and have never done so.

And it shows total disrespect for those who did come, did settle, did work very hard, learnt the language, adapted, got kids into schools, and more. And then were got rid off. To know go and recruit more, form further afield, who will often leave their families and children behind to be looked after by other relatives, won't be able to go home regularly to spend time with them, won't settle fully, and will only come to send money back home to help families, rather than invest into our country and spend their money here, settling for become long-term partners and possibly, valuable citizens.

What disrespect, what waste of human values and money too.