Gransnet forums

News & politics

Another Benefit of Brexit?

(457 Posts)
Granny23 Sun 18-Sep-22 11:14:25

Just this!

The pound is at its lowest level since the crash of 1985. The average UK household is projected to be poorer than the average Slovenian household by 2024 and Polish by 2030 (source: John Murdoch in the financial times today).
Glad we took back control eh!

Lucca Tue 20-Sep-22 10:03:02

I suspect we won’t hear from usuallyright anytime soon,

silverlining48 Tue 20-Sep-22 10:19:19

When I ask my brexit voting dh if he would vote differently if given the chance, he says he would still vote for it, but I know he knows that it’s been a disaster, but he’s stubborn and wont admit it.
I wonder if that’s common among those who voted Out like Farmers and fishermen who wont admit they mayday a mistake.
As for Ireland, that is a scandal.
We risk the UK being broken up to what will be no more than small states.

Urmstongran Tue 20-Sep-22 10:36:37

Many GP trainees are saying they plan to work part time. We need to train more up to cancel the oncoming deficit. (Their T&C must suit them as (a) they wouldn’t be trading in the first place and (b) choosing to work part time at a young age is a luxury afforded to few folk surely?).

Liz Truss will See we go full steam ahead now for Brexit. Keep your nose out of NI Biden. We will trade with the Commonwealth countries. We need the brakes off now to reach our full potential. The EU fiscal rules re banking are causing problems even in Europe apparently. It’s time to scrap so many of their ‘directives’ (which they ignore anyway when it suits!) otherwise what was the point of leaving?

I have every confidence in this country. We will surge ahead under ‘the new team’. Just you wait.
?

Urmstongran Tue 20-Sep-22 10:43:48

I would vote to Leave again. We’re still not making the most of an open door. So many have tried to thwart Brexit. (Remember the HoC and all those ‘indicative votes’ from Remain supporting MP’s who just couldn’t get their heads around the fact that we had voted OUT). Take away all that nonsense and then Theresa May’s dithering and then a pandemic - goodness knows we’re due a break sometime soon! We’ve hardly been out. No wonder there’s not that much to show for it. 6 years? Ha! Condense it down and it’s been more like 18 months.

Time to get cracking Ms. Truss.
At least she acknowledges this.

MaizieD Tue 20-Sep-22 10:47:46

I have every confidence in this country. We will surge ahead under ‘the new team’. Just you wait.

I seem to remember you saying something similar when Johnson became PM. ?

I'm just wondering what we have left to 'surge' with.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 20-Sep-22 10:47:56

Urmstongran

I would vote to Leave again. We’re still not making the most of an open door. So many have tried to thwart Brexit. (Remember the HoC and all those ‘indicative votes’ from Remain supporting MP’s who just couldn’t get their heads around the fact that we had voted OUT). Take away all that nonsense and then Theresa May’s dithering and then a pandemic - goodness knows we’re due a break sometime soon! We’ve hardly been out. No wonder there’s not that much to show for it. 6 years? Ha! Condense it down and it’s been more like 18 months.

A voice crying in the wilderness. It isn’t going to happen and the sooner the country faces up to this certain fact the better for everyone concerned.

We desperately need to apply to join the SM and CU, that at least would be a kick start to the growth Truss craves.

growstuff Tue 20-Sep-22 10:49:01

There was no point in leaving the EU!! (Unless, of course, you're happy for the UK to become an insignificant little island off the coast of mainland Europe, with feudal employment conditions.)

Urmstongran Tue 20-Sep-22 10:54:48

Goodness, you lot are such doomsters.
The pandemic ‘partygate’ did for Boris. Not Brexit. Wake up at the back.
We have a team now with Brexit Bonus in mind. It is on turbocharge. It has to be to please the Red Wall who are mightily fed up of the slow progress in ditching ECHR which got enhanced by Blair. That stops us in so many ways from being the country we want to be. (Or at least voted to be - I appreciate half of you don’t want it but the democratic vote decrees it’s happening).

Whitewavemark2 Tue 20-Sep-22 10:58:34

Urmstongran

Goodness, you lot are such doomsters.
The pandemic ‘partygate’ did for Boris. Not Brexit. Wake up at the back.
We have a team now with Brexit Bonus in mind. It is on turbocharge. It has to be to please the Red Wall who are mightily fed up of the slow progress in ditching ECHR which got enhanced by Blair. That stops us in so many ways from being the country we want to be. (Or at least voted to be - I appreciate half of you don’t want it but the democratic vote decrees it’s happening).

That is such a hackneyed phrase ug

You are wrong on so many levels. But really I’m not surprised.

MaizieD Tue 20-Sep-22 10:59:01

There's no arguing with the utterly deluded.

Normandygirl Tue 20-Sep-22 11:01:31

Urmstongran

I admire you tenacity in sticking with your faith in brexit despite all the irrefutable evidence that it is a failure of unprecedented magnitude for the whole of the UK and everyone in it.
I equally admire your faith in Ms Truss who stated in 2016;-

She said: “I don’t want my daughters to grow up in a world where they need a visa or permit to work in Europe; or where they are hampered from growing a business because of extortionate call costs and barriers to trade.”

She continued: “Every parent wants their children to grow up in a healthy environment with clean water, fresh air and thriving natural wonders. Being part of the EU helps protect these precious resources and spaces.”
In the run-up to the 2016 vote, Truss tweeted: “Leave cannot name one country we would get a better trade deal with if we left the EU."
But yes by all means " get cracking" Ms Truss

Grantanow Tue 20-Sep-22 12:52:07

It is obvious that Brexit is a disaster manipulated into being by Garage and Johnson who became the worst PM in history on the back of it. The Tories dare not speak its name and Labour ought to take a stand on it. Where is the promised trade agreement with the USA? What benefits did Rees-Mogg discover when he was the Minister for Brexit Opportunities? The UK shot itself in the foot and we shall be limping for a hundred years if we don't do something about it. And now we have Truss elected by a minute percentage of the population. God help us all.

Urmstongran Tue 20-Sep-22 13:49:42

9 times out of 10 our worst fears never happen.
Chin up folks!

Whitewavemark2 Tue 20-Sep-22 14:19:06

Urmstongran

Chin up folks!

They have with regards to Brexit. In some cases worse than feared.

Urmstongran Tue 20-Sep-22 14:26:49

From personal experience only, I can’t think of anything deleterious offhand that has affected me (or my family for that matter) post Brexit. Am I living in a parallel universe?

MaizieD Tue 20-Sep-22 14:42:27

Urmstongran

From personal experience only, I can’t think of anything deleterious offhand that has affected me (or my family for that matter) post Brexit. Am I living in a parallel universe?

You are indeed, Ug.

People's businesses have been wrecked by Brexit; you clearly live in a bubble where it hasn't happened.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 20-Sep-22 14:47:19

Urmstongran

A good citizen looks further than their own experience though.

Urmstongran Tue 20-Sep-22 14:59:36

I like to think I am a good citizen.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 20-Sep-22 15:03:29

?

GrannyGravy13 Tue 20-Sep-22 15:08:51

Some businesses have suffered due to Brexit, but many are flourishing.

Fleurpepper Tue 20-Sep-22 15:12:27

Urmstongran

Chin up folks!

You can repeat the mantra, on and on, Ariston- and it still does not make any sense.

It has already happened- you just need to open your eyes!

Fleurpepper Tue 20-Sep-22 15:12:48

GrannyGravy13

Which? Links please.

vegansrock Tue 20-Sep-22 15:12:48

But on balance if we lol at the decline of the U.K. since 2016, there are many more businesses suffering than flourishing . Not sure of those flourishing? Debt collectors? Pawn shops? Food banks?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 20-Sep-22 15:18:09

Brexit has contributed to inflation by approx 4%.

The value of Sterling has fallen.

Investment has fallen,

Shortage of staff in so many sectors

I expect everyone can add to that list

GrannyGravy13 Tue 20-Sep-22 15:19:05

Fleurpepper

GrannyGravy13

Which? Links please.

I am joint owner of a SME, we speak to other businesses/business owners constantly as I haven’t got their permission to name them I will not.

Jefferson@Jefferson_MFG is a good place to check out the positives, new factories being built and expansions etc.