Gransnet forums

News & politics

Would the UK have noticed otherwise?

(116 Posts)
JackyB Thu 22-Sep-22 07:48:33

I watched the footage, and some of the live coverage of the Queen's funeral on Monday, but despite winding back and forth and checking over and over, I couldn't see one second of coverage of the European Royals, all of whom were present, and seated in the South transept. From my perspective, here in Germany, the royal families of Norway, Sweden, Denmark, the Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Luxembourg and Monaco are just as interesting relevant to Royal-Watchers and the yellow press as the British monarchy. But the general public and the media in the UK seem to be totally unaware that there are other monarchies out there.

The visiting royals may not have been aware that they had been snubbed by the British media, as they probably had their own press following them.

Now I read that Queen Margaret of Denmark caught Covid and has finally managed to make the BBC aware of the fact that she was there. That's a great souvenir to give her to take back as a memento of the day. Good job she has a great sense of humour like her cousin.

I am not a royal watcher or particular fan of these people, but I am aware that they exist. As I say, I watched the arrivals at Westminster abbey again and again and was shown the British royals, the commonwealth heads of state, the US president and his wife, the ex- and current Prime Ministers of the UK, but neither during the service nor before, did I see any mention of those European royal family members (who are household names here in Germany.). Sorry if I'm wrong and I blinked and missed them.

Here is the article about Margarethe getting Covid with, finally, a photo of her and the others. They even have to be tagged to explain who they are.

www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-62982315

M0nica Mon 26-Sep-22 21:47:13

Interested King Juan Carlos of Spain, until very recently had to abdicate and retreat to living in Dubai or somewhere like a tinpot African or South American dictator because of the doubtful friends and doubtful money that had come his way and the current incumbent had not been without criticism.

Gabrielle56 Mon 26-Sep-22 09:53:54

So glad you've brought this subject up Jacky b it never crossed my mind but you're so correct in your observations! Why do we suck up to USA so very much? Are we in the wrong mindset of thinking that we matter to them? Our royals ARE the European royals as you say, the cousins etc of our dear Queen as was, and now King et al. Typically the press ignore anyone who's decent low key and first class, preferring the trashy , gossip girl style sleaze that they hunt constantly even though majority couldn't give a fig! Shame on the Brits for being so very rude if nothing else.

volver Sun 25-Sep-22 11:28:26

English exceptionalism in one sad little post.

Saggi Sun 25-Sep-22 11:24:51

All those other nations’ monarchs’ are as interesting and important…. I’m not sure you’re right….that’s why Queen Elizabeth 11
was called THE QUEEN….and everyone in world knew what was meant …..didn’t ask if it was any of the other queens ! sort of speaks for itself ….like calling it Wimbledon and NOT The English Open…..
And as for catching Covid …. who’s to say that wasn’t at her airport ..from one of her entourage …. From one of her ‘flunkies’… chauffeur/ kids or grandkids ….is it distinctively English Covid!?

Interested Sun 25-Sep-22 06:35:07

The king and Queen of Spain were shown queuing for the bus after the funeral. I admired them as they are not great money wasters and tax avoiders like our Royal family.

win Sat 24-Sep-22 21:54:40

Zoejory interesting thank you

Zoejory Sat 24-Sep-22 21:26:45

Danish Queen is still a smoker but only in private these days.

win Sat 24-Sep-22 21:23:55

Callistemon21 and a great asset she is too, and so very beautiful with it.

Galaxy Sat 24-Sep-22 21:04:38

Yes I noticed on a recent trip to France that smoking seemed much more commonplace than here.

win Sat 24-Sep-22 20:11:07

I doubt the Danish Queen smokes now. The photos I was referring to are several years old but still on FB, smoking is not so tolerated in Denmark now as it was. I remember having a conversation with a Danish friend in 2000 telling him smoking would soon be banned here in public places he was adamant it would n3ver happen. Things change. If the Queen has a bodyguard when shopping you are not aware of him/her. She does not carry her shopping as it it sent to the palace. My mother used to work in a toy shop in the walking street and served her many a time back in the late seventies

Caleo Sat 24-Sep-22 17:49:53

Thank goodness for male primogeniture otherwise everybody would be equally royal!

silverlining48 Sat 24-Sep-22 17:48:28

Smoking is still very common in Europe, can never understand it. It’s alien to us here; I don’t know anyone who smokes. I did but gave up 50 years ago so can consider myself a non smoker.

Callistemon21 Sat 24-Sep-22 17:45:02

You may have seen a photo of her shopping with both a drink and a cigarette in her hands.

Australian magazines are always full of photos of the Danish royal family as the lovely Princess Mary is Australian.

Callistemon21 Sat 24-Sep-22 17:42:51

She smokes around her grandchildren - perhaps not so wonderful.

MawtheMerrier Sat 24-Sep-22 17:39:28

She is a wonderful queen and very down to earth can be seen shopping in Copenhagen's walking Street with a drink in her hand. You may have seen a photo of her shopping with both a drink and a cigarette in her hand

Presumably she then has a minion to carry the actual string bag of groceries , as she has a fag and a tipple in her hands.
(What a strange thing to do while shopping. You wouldn’t see that in my Waitrose)

pamdixon Sat 24-Sep-22 17:23:20

As far as I understand it (sorry if someone has already said this) the BBC said that they didn't have time to name everyone who was arriving for the Service and that if you looked on their website you could see who was arriving and when. Out of respect to our Royal Family, they were not announcing all the Heads of State, Kings and Queens of each country, etc etc as they arrived.

Coco51 Sat 24-Sep-22 16:54:36

We frequently watch Al Jazeera these days - the BBC is so introverted you’d be forgiven for thinking there is no news other than that in the UK and the US, well maybe a little of Europe and a disaster area, but very limited.

silverlining48 Sat 24-Sep-22 16:43:27

Woukdnt catch ours a drink and ciggie doing their shopping on a Main Street. Just imagine.! grin

win Sat 24-Sep-22 16:39:03

Being Danish I can confirm that my Danish family know as much about our royal family as I do. I love to follow them as my husband used to work indirectly for the RF my family do too.
Queen Magrethe correctly cancelled most of her 50th anniversary celebrations and the ones which went ahead were all very low key.
She is a wonderful queen and very down to earth can be seen shopping in Copenhagen's walking Street with a drink in her hand. You may have seen a photo of her shopping with both a drink and a cigarette in her hands.

BRAVEBETH Sat 24-Sep-22 16:11:30

I had to look for ages before I found Sarah Chatto and her family. She was very close to the Queen

Norah Sat 24-Sep-22 15:35:06

Joplin

Biden was 14 rows back because he was late - delayed in traffic near Marble Arch. He should have accepted the invitation to go by bus, like most of the other leaders. The bus was on time.

Perhaps he'd watched the movie "London has fallen" and foolishly believed there could be such conspiracy.

Nannashirlz Sat 24-Sep-22 15:28:45

Perhaps it was because it was our queen’s funeral and not who’s sitting where. Maybe that’s why as the attention was on the our queen whom it should have being. Since when do you go to a funeral and point ppl out. Who’s sitting where no matter who they are. Also on our news it did show The Eiffel Tower blackout and Australia photo and also other countries lowing flags and speeches etc. I can’t comment on papers as I don’t buy I’m saving the trees lol

volver Sat 24-Sep-22 15:28:41

gillyjp

Too busy Tring to get shots of Mr & Mrs Markle for goodness sake stop giving them coverage they love it! Remember - they crave privacy NOT!

I know. They just crave publicity!! I just wish they wouldn't try to shoehorn themselves into every thread we have, even when it's not about them!! You just can't escape them.... ?

Joplin Sat 24-Sep-22 15:23:57

Biden was 14 rows back because he was late - delayed in traffic near Marble Arch. He should have accepted the invitation to go by bus, like most of the other leaders. The bus was on time.

gillyjp Sat 24-Sep-22 15:16:50

Too busy Tring to get shots of Mr & Mrs Markle for goodness sake stop giving them coverage they love it! Remember - they crave privacy NOT!