Gransnet forums

News & politics

Kwasi

(88 Posts)
MawtheMerrier Sat 01-Oct-22 12:41:49

Nicknames from last night’s HIGNFY included Kamikaze Kwarteng and Khazi Kwarteng as that is where the country is headed.
Any more offers?

(Is this too optimistic?)

volver Sun 02-Oct-22 21:54:28

Callistemon21

^Its neither because it's not making fun of his name^

I still don't think it is though, volver, it's alliteration and describes very succinctly what he has done.
As I said previously, we know someone who made a disastrous decision and was given the same nickname.

I am agreeing with you Callistemon.

Deedaa Sun 02-Oct-22 21:34:40

They are saying that the chancellor was only sipping orange juice while his hedge fund cronies swigged the champagne. Apparently that makes all the difference. I'm sure it will be a great comfort to all the people who can't afford orange juice, never mind champagne.

Callistemon21 Sun 02-Oct-22 21:15:37

I know that in the dim and distant past, men were often called nicknames such as Chalky ( White) and Dusty ( Miller or Rhodes) and so on and also that names were allotted to public figures.

As far as I know, they still are in the Forces.

Khazi Kwarteng
Well, I don't get that at all.
A Khazi is a toilet, no connection whatsoever ?

Callistemon21 Sun 02-Oct-22 21:12:54

Its neither because it's not making fun of his name

I still don't think it is though, volver, it's alliteration and describes very succinctly what he has done.
As I said previously, we know someone who made a disastrous decision and was given the same nickname.

foxie48 Sun 02-Oct-22 18:12:12

I listened to "Points of View" this morning. Bernadine Evaristo gave an excellent talk on "Black authenticity" following the removal of the whip from Rupa Huq. I thought it was very thought provoking and well worth a listen.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 02-Oct-22 17:32:25

Well he seems to have flushed the economy down the toilet Prentice. Grinning all the way and celebrating with the hedge fund managers who shorted the pound.

Prentice Sun 02-Oct-22 17:18:52

I do not like to keep banging the drum on this subject so will allow myself one more comment only.
I know that in the dim and distant past, men were often called nicknames such as Chalky ( White) and Dusty ( Miller or Rhodes) and so on and also that names were allotted to public figures.
We are not in the past now, and those sort of names, even the Iron Lady were not on the same scale as calling somebody a toilet,
Khazi Kwarteng.On a BBC show too.I cannot understand how anyone can find it acceptable, let alone funny.
It shows how very different we all are.

volver Sun 02-Oct-22 16:01:46

Kwarteng The Shameless.

I don't care if that is uncivilised or pathetic.

Its neither because it's not making fun of his name. It's a description of what he's like. There's a difference.

Joseanne Sun 02-Oct-22 15:58:21

I think he's on a hiding to nothing with those two geezers -gangsters- he has employed to do his removals in Maw's picture. Though appearances may deceive

Callistemon21 Sun 02-Oct-22 15:40:05

varian

The LibDems have called for an official inquiry into the Chancellor toasting his mini-budget with bankers.

"While struggling homeowners saw their mortgage bills spiral it seems the Chancellor was sipping champagne with hedge fund managers profiting from the falling pound."

Kamikaze isn't perhaps an appropriate to describe Mr Kwarteng because, although he dive-bombed into the UK economy deliberately, he has survived politically (so far) to celebrate, laugh and drink champagne.

How can this be allowed?
There is no defence but, even worse, there appears to be no shame.

Kwarteng The Shameless.

I don't care if that is uncivilised or pathetic.

varian Sun 02-Oct-22 15:09:31

The LibDems have called for an official inquiry into the Chancellor toasting his mini-budget with bankers.

"While struggling homeowners saw their mortgage bills spiral it seems the Chancellor was sipping champagne with hedge fund managers profiting from the falling pound."

volver Sun 02-Oct-22 13:16:51

Whitewavemark2

volver

So? Does that mean we should still be doing it in the 21st Century?

There is nothing special about the 21 century. We like to think we are more “civilised” etc. and mature.

Not true though is it?

Well we can keep on saying "It was ever thus" or we can raise our voices against it.

Not just this, but everything.

Callistemon21 Sun 02-Oct-22 13:05:14

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Poverty, war, pestilence
The UK economy taking a dive bomb caused by either ruthless, selfish or incompetent politicians.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 02-Oct-22 12:55:45

volver

There is nothing special about the 21 century. We like to think we are more “civilised” etc. and mature.

Not true though is it?

Casdon Sun 02-Oct-22 11:08:08

GrannyGravy13

I find myself agreeing with volver

Name calling has no place in 21st century politics, it all boils down to lazy journalism.

I’m not sure that journalism drives it though GrannyGravy13. Politicians call each other names at PM Question Time (Boris Johnson being a terrible offender), and initiate lots of derogatory names via their social media accounts.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 02-Oct-22 10:43:32

I find myself agreeing with volver

Name calling has no place in 21st century politics, it all boils down to lazy journalism.

volver Sun 02-Oct-22 10:31:52

Whitewavemark2 Sun 02-Oct-22 10:28:36

Politicians have been called names since at least the 17th century.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 02-Oct-22 10:20:46

?

volver Sat 01-Oct-22 18:31:32

I never thought it was you GSM. But thank you for coming back and letting me know.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 01-Oct-22 16:53:43

volver

I went back to find my earlier post but it's been deleted. I can't even remember what I said but obviously someone was mortally offended.

Jings, crivvens and help ma boab. ?

Just so’s you know, it wasn’t me. I can’t remember what you said either.

volver Sat 01-Oct-22 16:38:05

There is no such thing as "reverse racism". There is racism.

And everyone should be immune from name calling, because it's pathetic. And says more about the person using the names than the person they are talking about.

poshpaws Sat 01-Oct-22 16:34:52

It seems A-ok to me. Politicians and royals and most people in the public eye tend to get nicknames: nice or nasty depending on the perception people have of them. If you claim that Kwarteng should be immune from that, then as a poster said earlier, you're guilty of reverse racism.

And just to make myself thoroughly unpopular - because I'm feeling sore and ill and bolshy because of it - I'll share with you that my own nickname for Charles the Third is Charles the .. word that rhymes with third.

Fleurpepper Sat 01-Oct-22 16:33:51

I remember 'the Scottish Lady' being called very unpleasant names here on GN.

Farmor15 Sat 01-Oct-22 16:31:56

John Crace in the Guardian has been writing about "Librium Liz" after her local radio interviews smile