Gransnet forums

News & politics

What would make you join a protest march on the UK streets?

(41 Posts)
mokryna Tue 04-Oct-22 23:28:32

France is know for people protesting on the streets.
At the moment, among other things, it is about changing the age of retirement from approx. 62 to 65 and making them fairer.
What would make you go onto the street for protest march in the Uk these days?

Daisymae Thu 06-Oct-22 09:40:03

Yes. I would definitely protest against the loss of our democratic freedom. I have been on the odd protest before but I feel very strongly about this government who want to trash the environment and throw employment rights out of the window. In fact anything for a quick buck.

Glorianny Thu 06-Oct-22 09:33:56

I too did the Iraq war march and have done quite a few local ones- Women Reclaiming the Night etc. But I have just registered for a new one! Pregnant then Screwed organises an annual march about the problems for parents and families, particularly in relation to child care provision. It's called the March of the Mummies. They are on 29th October and they are happening in cities across the UK
pregnantthenscrewed.com/event-march-of-the-mummies/

LizzieDrip Thu 06-Oct-22 08:59:02

That’s the problem isn’t it MayBee. If you’re not of the same political view as your local MP and you challenge them about anything, they just ignore you. For me, that would feel like being politically disenfranchised. I’m lucky - my local MP is Labour and he’s excellent. So, even though I feel politically at odds with the government of the country, at least I feel in tune with my local representative. Not that he can really affect any change but it’s a little bit of light in a dark, dark tunnel.

MayBee70 Thu 06-Oct-22 01:38:53

nanna8

I have a feeling the pen is mightier than the sword, so to speak. Writing letters of protest to MPs seems to be more effective.

Not when you’ve got an MP like mine! I do find that writing and thanking people is as effective as complaining, though. Whenever a Conservative MP dares to defy the whip I thank them because I realise how much courage it takes for them to do so. Whereas my MP was a whip. I’m not sure if she still is but she wouldn’t hear a word against Johnson.

Lucca Thu 06-Oct-22 00:05:59

I was in Paris in 1968 as a student. I’m not sure I quite understood what we were marching about TBH

I think I would March now about so many things Truss is proposing, particularly freezing public spending and agains t getting rid of the NHS

LizzieDrip Wed 05-Oct-22 23:18:52

I’m ready to march NOW. I was expecting the Enough is Enough campaign to organise protest marches but they haven’t done - disappointed. We have been far too passive over recent years in this country. We have allowed this government to get away with too much, and now they feel they can do anything unchallenged. Taking away the right to free protest was probably the final straw for me!

nanna8 Wed 05-Oct-22 23:12:00

I have a feeling the pen is mightier than the sword, so to speak. Writing letters of protest to MPs seems to be more effective.

BlueBelle Wed 05-Oct-22 21:47:14

I saw Nelson Mandela and the wonderful Desmond Tutu what a moment Two wonderful men

LizzieB1 Wed 05-Oct-22 21:46:17

If our government ever went to war against another country other than in self defence, as we did in Iraq. That was the first time I felt ashamed to be British

mokryna Wed 05-Oct-22 20:35:34

Thank you for those who have take the time to protest. I have never taken part in a march but I do wish I had gone to the Charlie Hebdo rally in Paris.

Blossoming Wed 05-Oct-22 11:59:10

paddyann54 maybe the South African embassy people were ashamed. As they deserved to be.

icanhandthemback Wed 05-Oct-22 11:47:12

Blossoming

I can’t march, it would have to be a sit down protest.

Me too!

paddyann54 Wed 05-Oct-22 11:42:22

Esspee there was great pride in the name change ,we obviously have different political views but I was in Glasgow when Mandela made Glasgow his first stop on a tour when he was released .
The crowds were huge and the pride in our city and its people immeasurable .As were his words of thanks
I certainly dont remember any political embarrasment or shame .

Blossoming Wed 05-Oct-22 10:51:57

As I mentioned last night, physically I can do very little. I was too tired to comment further.

What I can, and indeed do, do is write letters, send emails, contribute articles, help to fund, and generally speak up and shout very loudly about things I care about. I seek out relevant public consultations and respond to them.

Mostly it’s issues affecting peoples’ welfare, disability rights, poverty and safeguarding children.

I try to add my voice. It may be a very small voice but it’s better than keeping silent.

Marthjolly1 Wed 05-Oct-22 10:51:23

I've never marched or protested on anything. But I feel the time is coming and not too far away when there will be a lot of protests across the UK. I wouldn't be surprised to see riots if this government continues to misunderstanding fears of the majority of the population. I will be ready to march.

MayBee70 Wed 05-Oct-22 10:30:41

Whitewavemark2

And animal welfare

Interesting that an animal rights group just interviewed at party conference said that legislation to protect animals that was going through parliament pre Truss seems to have been put on the back burner. I think you mentioned it in another thread.

Granny23 Wed 05-Oct-22 09:32:08

Like Paddy Ann since I was a teenager, I have been on countless (some the same ones as PA including Faslane) Marches/demos/sit ins car cavalcades and rallies. Have also picketed pro fracking meetings and others. Now I tend to avoid the longer marches, only joining in for the last half mile.

My all time favourite was a March in Falkirk to protest the Council's withdrawal of funding for Womens Aid. Representatives of all the WA Groups in Scotland took part and we were joined by Social Workers, Housing Department, some Councillors and the Police - who all understood the need for a local WA service. Even a member of the Police Pipe Band joined us and played marching tunes between our chanting and singing. As a result the Council reversed their decision and funding was restored.

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 05-Oct-22 09:28:17

I can’t physically March or go to London to Protest, but we support our daughter in various ways so that she is able to go as she is passionate about Climate Change.

nanna8 Wed 05-Oct-22 08:55:28

The last March I went on was against the invasion of Iraq and Tony Blair's policies in cahoots with the Americans. Thousands and thousands went on it. Did they take any notice?No. There was a call to attend a March at our church on Sunday but I don’t totally agree with what they were marching about so I won’t be going on that one. I would go on one against the use of nuclear weapons in any circumstances. Even against the dreaded Putin.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 05-Oct-22 08:49:22

Being able to walk without pain or being dizzy

notgran Wed 05-Oct-22 08:39:35

crazyH

I don’t feel that passionate about anything ……

Me neither, especially now when COVID rates are rising it's foolhardy.

Blondiescot Wed 05-Oct-22 08:37:42

crazyH

I don’t feel that passionate about anything ……

Really? Maybe I'm too opinionated then, but I refuse to apologise for being passionate about many causes. I've taken part in CND marches, animal rights marches, abortion rights...the list is endless.

Esspee Wed 05-Oct-22 08:34:41

BlueBelle. We’re you aware that Glasgow City Council changed the name of the square housing the South African Embassy to Nelson Mandela Square while he was still in prison.
It caused huge political embarrassment.
We need ingenious ways of making our feelings known.
Incidentally the gridlock demo I referred to was in the Caribbean.

BlueBelle Wed 05-Oct-22 07:44:33

I have marched before and would again if it was fairly local but I couldn’t get down to London
Espee I too did some marching and demonstrating in London for anti apartheid and free nelson nandela the chants ring in my head now I do remember standing and blocking one of the oil companies (BP or shell I can’t remember which)who were accused of apartheid as well
as helping the cause it was real bringing together and people were very supportive and kind to one another I remember my youngest then a mid teenager fainting (something she’d never done before or since) and a very kind complete stranger drove us to where we were staying

Chocolatelovinggran Wed 05-Oct-22 07:43:09

Love it Esspee. I'm with Maybee 70, and am also concerned about the rights of women over their bodies. We seem to be returning to 1820 - before the Tolpuddle Martyrs and
a time when women were considered unsafe to be allowed rights.