Gransnet forums

News & politics

Miranda Hughes

(78 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Wed 05-Oct-22 13:06:32

Miranda Hughes is a nurse who worked in a Private Hospital, she was on Channel 5’s Britain in the Brink this week where she asserted that anyone who voted Tory should not be resuscitated by the NHS.

She has been sacked, whilst I disagree with her statement, is it ok to be sacked for your political beliefs?

Bodach Thu 06-Oct-22 20:07:25

Here's a link to the relevant bit of the programme:
videos.files.wordpress.com/E86AUCUk/nhs-woman-channel-5.mp4
Sounds pretty extreme to me - as she says herself: "I know that is harsh, bu..."

MerylStreep Thu 06-Oct-22 19:41:19

Mollygo
She was on QT a year ago. She spoke up then.

A post on Twitter said that the nurses registration has been checked and she has re-registered as a nurse.

maddyone Thu 06-Oct-22 19:19:29

Thank you for explanations volver and doodledog.
I still don’t think she should have said what she said on television, but she’s been sacked for breaching regulations, so she’s paid a heavy price. Apparently she’s an ex nurse, no longer practicing therefore I presume. I don’t agree with her that treatment should be delivered according to political beliefs, with some patients jumping the queue and others pushed to the back due to their political beliefs. What next? Their ethnicity? Age? Level of education? Who decides who is worthy? Who should be at the front of the queue? She was wrong to voice such views, but as I said, she’s paid the price. Maybe she’s learnt something about measured views and how to express them, particularly in public.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 06-Oct-22 13:18:25

Photo shopped from nursingnotes.co.uk

MissAdventure Thu 06-Oct-22 13:17:32

grin

volver Thu 06-Oct-22 13:16:56

It wasn't NHS
She didn't refuse to treat anyone

Other than that, spot on!

25Avalon Thu 06-Oct-22 13:14:48

Actually if it was NHS and you refused to treat someone for whatever reason you would be suspended by your NHS Trust and the matter referred to the General Nursing Council who would decide on the appropriate action.

volver Thu 06-Oct-22 11:31:29

25Avalon

This is ethics not politics. As a nurse to refuse to treat someone for their race, sex, gender, colour, religion, political alignment is totally unethical.

But she didn't say she would do that, did she?

Thanks for the explanation Doodledog

Doodledog Thu 06-Oct-22 11:31:06

25Avalon

This is ethics not politics. As a nurse to refuse to treat someone for their race, sex, gender, colour, religion, political alignment is totally unethical.

MH is not a nurse.

MH did not refuse to treat anyone.

MH did not say that anyone would really be refused treatment (just that 'ethically' they should be in her opinion).

Apart from that your point stands grin

25Avalon Thu 06-Oct-22 11:21:19

Doodledog Thu 06-Oct-22 11:15:20

It was not on the JV show, but on a programme hosted by JV in the evening - 'The Big Debate or similar. It is probably available on My5, if you want to sit through it - it wasn't very good though, as JV never lets people make a point and cuts them off after a sentence, so nothing was discussed in any detail.

Anyway, I did see it, so have the advantage over those complaining about Miranda Hughes because of what the press has said, and what is being repeated on GN.

MH was an audience member, not a panel member (there was no panel), and she said that she had worked in the NHS and was currently in the private sector. She didn't say doing what, and she did not name her employer.

Her comment was about the Tory attitude to the NHS. I can't remember exactly, but the gist was that it was the Tories' fault that the NHS is struggling, and consequently so were those who voted for them (and volver is right - we all knew that the NHS was not safe in their hands at the time of the election), and that where there is rationing (eg ventilators during Covid) Tory voters should give their places to others, or maybe that they should be sent to the back of the queue - as I say I can't remember exactly.

There was an audible gasp, and Vine asked whether she (MH) would refuse to resuscitate a Tory, and she laughed and said of course not, and that was it - on to someone else's 30 seconds of 'fame'.

It's a storm in a teacup - it's not remotely the same as if someone in opposition said it, or if an NHS frontline worker said that they wouldn't resuscitate. The set-up of the programme was more akin to a discussion in the pub, and the comments had as much weight as that. Throwaway remarks said in frustration or anger, not opposition policy, not death threats, and (IMO) not a sackable offence in the context in which it was said.

Callistemon21 Thu 06-Oct-22 11:05:50

Mollygo

Looks like the danger of appearing in the media and not watching what you say or realising how what you say would be represented was evidently unknown to her to her.
Hard way to learn, but a good lesson.

So what MissAdventure suggests might be a good idea!

Perhaps she could branch out into a political career?

Mollygo Thu 06-Oct-22 10:54:47

Looks like the danger of appearing in the media and not watching what you say or realising how what you say would be represented was evidently unknown to her to her.
Hard way to learn, but a good lesson.

Callistemon21 Thu 06-Oct-22 10:41:19

maddyone

Meryl I know some things have been discontinued on the NHS. I’m not saying I agree with this, but I am asking if someone in the Conservative party has actually said that they want to do away with the NHS. It’s a straightforward question.

maddyone I think their intention is probably to fund it differently.

Years ago the NHS bought services from the private sector eg sent patients for routine operations to private hospitals to speed up waiting times. That may have been in the 1990s, I'm trying to calculate when a member of my family was sent to a then BUPA hospital for an operation. If anything had gone wrong she would, of course, have had to be moved to the nearby NHS hospital for emergency treatment. Thankfully all was fine.

The private hospital would have billed the NHS. The private sector will be making a profit but could probably be more efficient for those services so perhaps cost-effective for both. They don't deal with emergencies, those blocking beds unable to access care etc.

The way dental services have gone in the UK is a worrying indicator of what could happen with healthcare.

One would hope, however it functions and is funded, the NHS would be free at the point of delivery. It is struggling at the moment and shouldn't be used as a political football.

Ilovecheese Thu 06-Oct-22 09:33:19

It was Daniel Hannan, an MP under David Cameron who said that the NHS was "a sixty year mistake" .

volver Thu 06-Oct-22 09:24:08

maddyone

volver, as I said, I’m not in the UK at the moment, so I have made my comments reflect what has been said on Gransnet mainly. Perhaps you can enlighten me as to what she said, if the allegation that she said Tory voters shouldn’t be resuscitated isn’t correct.
Thanks.

I believe she was on the Jeremy Vine Show maddyone but I don't watch it so this is all from various news reports in the press.

She had got really angry about the underfunding of the NHS and said that if you vote Tory, you are voting for the undermining of the NHS and don't deserve to be resuscitated. She immediately retracted the statement and said that of course she would treat anybody. That's already been said on this thread.

I think was she said was very ill advised, she shouldn't have said it. But she was angry.

But now we have Grans and Right Wing papers making her into some kind of Mengele figure, demanding to know how she would single out the Tories. It's an overreaction and its victimisation. People think she is the unacceptable face of the Left Wing, happy to kill people for ideology, when I think she was just really upset and shot her mouth off. In my opinion, she is not a disgrace to her profession.

maddyone Thu 06-Oct-22 09:12:40

For what it’s worth, I don’t think any party in the UK will do away with the NHS. It would be political death to that party. But I don’t think it’s safe in this government’s hands at the moment, it will trimmed further. We need a change of government quickly. The NHS is less safe under Truss than any previous PM in my opinion.

maddyone Thu 06-Oct-22 09:09:34

Yes, they would Meryl. I realise that.

MerylStreep Thu 06-Oct-22 08:47:12

Maddyone
If they came right out and said it the Tory party would become extinct.

maddyone Thu 06-Oct-22 08:40:26

Meryl I know some things have been discontinued on the NHS. I’m not saying I agree with this, but I am asking if someone in the Conservative party has actually said that they want to do away with the NHS. It’s a straightforward question.

maddyone Thu 06-Oct-22 08:37:41

volver, as I said, I’m not in the UK at the moment, so I have made my comments reflect what has been said on Gransnet mainly. Perhaps you can enlighten me as to what she said, if the allegation that she said Tory voters shouldn’t be resuscitated isn’t correct.
Thanks.

MerylStreep Thu 06-Oct-22 08:34:47

Maddyone
By their deeds you will know them.
Only yesterday I went for a private consultation for something that would/could have been treated on the NHS, but no more.

volver Thu 06-Oct-22 08:31:03

Were living in Years and Years, I think.

That's not what she said maddyone. Were not big on nuance any more, are we?

maddyone Thu 06-Oct-22 08:24:57

Has anyone in the Conservative party actually said they want to ‘do away’ with the NHS. I’ve never heard that said, but maybe someone else has actually heard that. The NHS is underfunded but that is clearly not the same as ‘doing away’ with the NHS.
I’m not in the UK at the moment, and so have only limited information available to me, but it has been claimed on Gransnet that this woman is a nurse working in a private hospital, who said on television that Tory voters should not be resuscitated if they need it. In other words not treated! Therefore she is advocating that those who vote Tory should not receive NHS care. The NHS treats all those who require treatment, whatever they vote, whatever they have done, whoever they are. If she doesn’t agree with this, and her statements seem to say that she does, then she is a disgrace to her profession, as I said earlier. If she has apologised that’s good, because she has caused great offence. However I have no illusions that she has suddenly changed her opinion, she’s obviously discovered that having her face and words all over the press isn’t really going to be helpful to her career.

Rosie51 Thu 06-Oct-22 00:57:00

I'll just point out she was in an administrative role at her private medical facility, not a front line patient caring role. She breached the terms of her employment and was sacked for that. No patient should ever receive or not receive treatment on the basis of how they voted in the last general election, or any other decision they've made. When we start making value judgements on when or how to medically treat people then we're on a very slippery slope. Today it's him, tomorrow could be you or someone you love.