Gransnet forums

News & politics

A boost for Brexit?

(375 Posts)
Urmstongran Tue 22-Nov-22 07:47:25

“Starmer: UK must wean itself off migrant labour
Days of low pay and dependence on foreign workers are over, Labour leader to insist”

BEN RILEY-SMITHPolitical Editor (in the Telegraph today).

BRITAIN must end its economic dependence on immigration, Sir Keir Starmer will say today as he toughens the Labour Party’s stance in a speech to business leaders.

In a significant intervention, Sir Keir will tell the Confederation of British Industry (CBI) conference that the days of “low pay and cheap labour” are over.

The speech will be seen as an attempt to quash any suggestion that the Labour leader would emulate his predecessor Tony Blair’s looser approach to immigration if he reaches No 10.

Sir Keir is trying to convince voters that he is reconciled to Britain’s future outside of the European Union as he targets winning back former Labour Red Wall seats at the next election which voted en masse for Brexit.”

And yesterday when Sunak addressed the CBI conference he reiterated that the UK would not be seeking a Switzerland type deal, aligning the UK more with Brussels.

Finally, to me, it seems hopeful that a more robust Brexit will be delivered. It’s been on the back burner for six years and in my opinion it’s time to crack on with getting rid of red tape that doesn’t need to apply to us. This does not mean lowering standards, just simplifying processes and making the UK more competitive and lean.

What do you think about what Starmer & Sunak are saying?

Petera Tue 17-Jan-23 19:08:48

MaizieD

Fleurpepper

Normandygirl

varian

The powerful, sinister influencers who persuaded too many guillible people to vote "Leave" never had the best interests of our country at heart.

Quite apart from the shadowy foreign billionaires and tax dodgers who bankrolled the Leave campaign, too many ignored the fact that the only foreign politicians who expressed support for Leave were Donald Trump, the French fascist Marine le Pen and Vladimir Putin

That fact alone should have made these guuillible voters think twice. .

There was never any expressed support for brexit from Putin, either publicly or privately. Support from wealthy Russian oligarchs is a different matter ,though nothing to do with Russia or Putin.

And your evidence is? Please.

I wouldn't bother asking, Fp. She's a friend of Russia. Just look at the Ukraine thread.

If she knows there was no support privately she must be more than a friend of Russia, she must be an actual friend of Putin

MaizieD Tue 17-Jan-23 18:53:26

Why do you think that Johnson delayed the publication of the Russia Report for as long as he possibly could?

Oreo Tue 17-Jan-23 18:52:36

vegansrock

The much trumpeted battery plant that was going to boost the British car industry has folded. Much EV production around the EU. hmmm Where does this leave our industrial base? (what there is of it).

Just read about this, such a waste.I can’t understand why this has happened, how can we get ready for all electric cars without producing batteries.sad

Oreo Tue 17-Jan-23 18:49:55

It seems highly likely that Putin actively encouraged Brexit.
Anything that he thought might weaken the West would suit him.

varian Tue 17-Jan-23 18:35:34

Sadly, trashed by brexit vegansrock

vegansrock Tue 17-Jan-23 18:05:51

The much trumpeted battery plant that was going to boost the British car industry has folded. Much EV production around the EU. hmmm Where does this leave our industrial base? (what there is of it).

varian Mon 16-Jan-23 20:04:13

Fleurpepper

Normandygirl

varian

The powerful, sinister influencers who persuaded too many guillible people to vote "Leave" never had the best interests of our country at heart.

Quite apart from the shadowy foreign billionaires and tax dodgers who bankrolled the Leave campaign, too many ignored the fact that the only foreign politicians who expressed support for Leave were Donald Trump, the French fascist Marine le Pen and Vladimir Putin

There was never any expressed support for brexit from Putin, either publicly or privately. Support from wealthy Russian oligarchs is a different matter ,though nothing to do with Russia or Putin.

The uncomfortable truth, of course, is that Vladimir Putin supported Brexit. It is a matter of public record that the Russian ambassador hosted Aaron Banks, the sponsor of Leave.EU and associate of Nigel Farage, for what Banks described as a “six-hour boozy lunch”. Carole Cadwalladr and Peter Jukes uncovered evidence of “multiple meetings” and contacts between Banks, the Leave.EU campaign and various Russian businessman and officialdom.

There was also an open, publicly expressed affinity. Putin urged Theresa May to “fulfil will of people” and deliver Brexit. Russian state media platforms RT and Sputnik cheered on the whole agenda – and Putin has provided far-reaching support to the European radical right, actively seeking to build a populist bloc against the ‘Brussels elite’.

www.brexitspotlight.org/putin-brexit-britain-and-the-dangerous-allure-of-europe-first/

MaizieD Mon 16-Jan-23 17:59:12

Fleurpepper

Normandygirl

varian

I wouldn't bother asking, Fp. She's a friend of Russia. Just look at the Ukraine thread.

Fleurpepper Mon 16-Jan-23 16:28:10

Normandygirl

varian

Normandygirl Mon 16-Jan-23 16:25:13

varian

vegansrock Sat 14-Jan-23 18:09:11

One Brexit bonus is that support for the EU within EU countries has considerably strengthened. This is in complete opposition to the leavers insistence that member countries would be envious of the U.K. and the EU would collapse without us. Well that hasn’t happened, they’ve looked at the UKs continued decline and have no desire to follow suit.

varian Sat 14-Jan-23 18:08:10

varian Sat 14-Jan-23 18:02:59

We will still need, at some stage, to see an acknowledgement of the fact that the fraudulent referendum was won by lies, cheating and foreign interference and the proven illegality would have been enough to reverse the decision, had the referendum been mandatory, rather than advisory.

winterwhite Sat 14-Jan-23 17:46:58

I thought that most political parties realise that Brexit has been a disaster and even the Tories realise that it has not delivered the 'benefits' they promised.

But they all recognise that the country is fed up with the very word and can't stomach the thought of another 4 years when nothing else is talked of. This is why it's being soft-pedalled.

MaizieD Sat 14-Jan-23 17:30:55

varian

No I don't think Brexit will be reversed any time soon. Apart from anything else I doubt the rest of the EU have quite justified reasons for resenting the UK for the damage that brexit has done.

I think that the EU states are quite pleased that our example has done much to diminish calls in their countries to leave the EU...

MaizieD Sat 14-Jan-23 17:28:39

^ the UK coticen?^

I realise that this is a typo, but what is it meant to say?

Re-entering the EU will have a great many benefits; like removing trade barriers and all the extra red tape that Brexit has entailed. It would be a massive boost for businesses.

It will reconnect our universities with the EU research community, our students with the Erasmus programme and give us back our much missed freedom of movement. That's for starters.

It might also stop the UK being viewed by the rest of the world as rather silly for leaving...

varian Sat 14-Jan-23 17:07:27

No I don't think Brexit will be reversed any time soon. Apart from anything else I doubt the rest of the EU have quite justified reasons for resenting the UK for the damage that brexit has done.

ExperiencedNotOld Sat 14-Jan-23 16:49:36

Do you really think Brexit will be reversed? That we will re-enter the EU.? If so, how will that benefit the UK? And the UK coticen?

varian Sat 14-Jan-23 16:43:48

It’s an informal poll from a newspaper of a Black Country town that voted 62.6% to leave the EU in 2016.

varian Sat 14-Jan-23 16:43:04

latest poll?

varian Wed 04-Jan-23 19:20:40

I can see your point of view there Grantanow

I was a very reluctant supporter of the 2010 coalition.

As as left-leaning Liberal Democrat, I was very opposed to the Tories and everything they stand for.

However I strongly believe in the need for constitutional reform, especially changing our electoral system from FPTP to PR. Under PR, coalitions become the norm. And so I thought that, although, like most LibDems, I would have much preferred a coalition with the Labour Party, but the numbers did not add up for that option, it meant we had to contemplate a coalition with the Tories.

During the period of coalition government some good LibDem policies were enacted and some bad Tory policies were stopped.

However the wipeout ot the following election, almost inevitable as the junior partner in a coalition, but enforced by the huge financial resources of the Tories, ensured that the Liberal Democrats will never ever be prepared to enter another coalition with the Tories.

Grantanow Wed 04-Jan-23 18:52:09

Yes, it may be Lab and the Lib Dems will form a coalition though they failed utterly to achieve that under Brown. I voted tactically for the Lib Dems at that time to keep the Tories out and felt absolutely ratted on when under Clegg they joined the Tory-led coalition. I find them hard to trust again. They put government jobs, red boxes and Ministerial cars ahead of the country.

varian Wed 04-Jan-23 18:22:16

J R Mogg, when Minister for Brexit Opportunities, couldn't actually find any, so he appealed to the readers of The Sun.

As far as I know none of them could find any brexit opportunities either.

He might as well have asked them to find a unicorn.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 04-Jan-23 10:57:06

A really good device to help you find a Brexit Benefit.

Cheap at the price of £350000000

Katie59 Wed 04-Jan-23 05:59:44

MaizieD

^I have visited the Brexit Witness Archive,Hammond was clearly peeved that he was not involved,^

As the second most important person in government I'm not surprised.

And if Davis managed to sell May the lie that the Leave Campaigners had been selling the country then she's even more of an idiot than I thought possible. Aren't politicians supposed to have a brain? Be able to sort fact from fiction and act rationally?

More than I thought possible too, since then of course Truss happened.