Gransnet forums

News & politics

“Scottish government loses indyref2 court case”

(277 Posts)
grannydarkhair Wed 23-Nov-22 10:27:31

As per the title, the Supreme Court has ruled that the Scottish gov. cannot hold an independence referendum without the UK’s gov. consent.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-63727562

Aveline Tue 13-Dec-22 09:18:41

Wonder how that was funded?

Granny23 Tue 13-Dec-22 08:56:18

Another poll

New Scottish Independence poll, YouGov 6 - 9 Dec (changes vs 30 Sep - 4 Oct):

Yes ~ 47% (+4)
No ~ 42% (-3)
Don't Know ~ 8% (+1)

Excluding Don't Knows (/ vs 2014):
Yes ~ 53% (+4 / +8)
No ~ 47% (-4 / -8)

Aveline Sun 11-Dec-22 21:14:56

Just heard Ipsos Mori were given £1.8 million by Scottish government. More squandering of money that could be used for the genuine benefit of Scottish people. angry

grannypiper Sat 10-Dec-22 17:58:24

Nicola needs to reduce the gurning.

Aveline Sat 10-Dec-22 17:22:22

Sample of 1000 people who agree to be contacted by polling companies regardless of who commissions and funds the poll. I note the 'undecideds/don't knows' are not mentioned.
Don't get too excited Granny23!

Granny23 Sat 10-Dec-22 15:17:33

Who funded the poll?

There have been 3 polls published in this last week since the Supreme Court Ruling.

Renfield & Winto 52% Yes 48% No
IPSOS MORI 56% Yes 44% No
Find Out Now 54% Yes 46% No

So a majority for Yes in all 3 polls -surely they can't all have been rigged [HMM]

As far as I know 16 to 18 year olds (Most likely age group to support YES) were not included in any of these polls.

grannydarkhair Thu 08-Dec-22 22:32:50

UK Govt may challenge Scottish GRR law.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63909309

Fleurpepper Wed 07-Dec-22 20:25:40

Aveline

Volver believing SNP propaganda again?

What is your source of propaganda?

Petera Thu 01-Dec-22 14:22:11

Aveline

Who funded the poll? Who selected the sample?

Indeed: If we want a proper answer then we need a referendum.

Mollygo Thu 01-Dec-22 12:35:50

Aveline

The people who wanted th e answer they got.

Aveline Thu 01-Dec-22 12:02:48

Granny23 Thu 01-Dec-22 11:28:33

tickingbird

So where does it go from here? Is the government likely to give consent or is it the beginning of the end of the SNP? Genuine question, not being goady.

Far from it Tickingbird Latest poll out today:

Today’s Top Story: Support for Scottish independence leads support for the Union by four points, according to a new poll.

The research is the first poll to gauge Scots’ opinions on the topic since the Supreme Court ruled Holyrood cannot hold indyref2 without Westminster’s consent.

Jaberwok Mon 28-Nov-22 13:12:18

Indeed it is and childish.

volver Mon 28-Nov-22 12:54:04

Some time, several years ago, somebody maybe said: "oh look, there's a resemblance between Sturgeon and Jeanette Tough!" and we maybe all went " oh yes, so there is."

Then some wag will have said "She looks like wee Jimmy Krankie! Fnarr Fnarr!!" You know, that wee wummin who dresses like a boy who we all laugh at? And years later, people think it's funny to keep saying it. If they've got the same sad joke several years later, somebody needs to tell them it's just a wee bit past its sell-by date.

I don't mind "nippy sweetie". It won't surprise many to know that it's been directed at me in the past, not here on GN, IRL. Princess Anne was widely described as a nippy sweetie a few years ago. When it all gets a bit wearing is when people go "nippy sweetie, nippy sweetie, nippy sweetie...fnarr fnarr, aren't I clever?"

You might want to have a look Oreo at what many posters have said on this thread; that name calling of any politician, any party, whether they are male or female, especially based on their appearance, is basically puerile.

Oreo Mon 28-Nov-22 12:31:26

volver

Are you doing this on purpose?

In what world, now, in the 21st century, is it considered even remotely acceptable to discuss a politician's physical characteristics?

Jeezy peeps.

On purpose? Well I wasn’t typing when asleep.
Come on, comments about how politicians look are two a penny, I’ve read loads on here and Mumsnet about Boris, Trump, Corbyn, Rees Mogg and others.All about their appearance and the way they dress.
NS dresses smartly I’ll give her that.
Daddima you’ve got the wrong poster, I never said nippy sweetly.The Krankie look is just unfortunate for her.
It doesn’t add anything to political debate, just as it doesn’t for Boris and loads of others, yet posters do it if they want to.
You can’t expect NS to be exempt from it.

Jaberwok Mon 28-Nov-22 10:39:08

Not a fan of NS, but I have absolutely no issues with her appearance. I think she always dresses smartly, her hair style is also smart, unfussy and business like, her clothes equally as above. However, making personal comments about anybody's aappearance is for me rude, unpleasant at times cruel, nearly always nasty and unnecessary.

Lucca Mon 28-Nov-22 08:21:17

I think the comments about NS physical appearance are dreadful. What’s wrong with her face ? Or her hair ? She’s short, so what ? She dresses very smartly IMO but it’s irrelevant

Daddima Sun 27-Nov-22 20:50:09

Oreo

Nobody can pretend to be surprised by what people say about
Sturgeon’s looks, it’s been said so many times before.
The manner of a nippy sweety is obvious, sharp tongued.
Sure, she can’t help her face,but prob her manner that people dislike more.
Did anyone mind what posters said about any other politician?
How Boris looks? Yes, a mess wasn’t he.
The manner of ReesMogg? A smug idiot.
You SNP supporters have to get used to stuff that’s said about your FM and not be so thin skinned about it.

I am not in the least surprised by people commenting about Nicola Sturgeon’s looks. As you say, it has been said many times, so SNP supporters are well used to it. The question I asked ( and which you still have not answered) was what did you think calling her ‘nippy sweetly(sic) or ‘Krankie’ added to your argument.

volver Sun 27-Nov-22 20:33:28

Anything you'd like to say about Pam Duncan-Glancy?

How about Ross Greer? He's a red head. You could have a field day with him.

volver Sun 27-Nov-22 20:29:32

Are you doing this on purpose?

In what world, now, in the 21st century, is it considered even remotely acceptable to discuss a politician's physical characteristics?

Jeezy peeps.

Oreo Sun 27-Nov-22 20:24:34

She is a short woman but wears five inch heels.grin
She can’t help looking as she does, but the hairstyle doesn’t help.

volver Sun 27-Nov-22 17:08:14

But Boris was a mess and Rees Mogg is a smug idiot.

Sturgeon isn't a short woman dressed up as a mischevious boy getting one over on the adults. Unless you are a misogynist who think she's getting above her station, of course.

Oreo Sun 27-Nov-22 16:43:32

Nobody can pretend to be surprised by what people say about
Sturgeon’s looks, it’s been said so many times before.
The manner of a nippy sweety is obvious, sharp tongued.
Sure, she can’t help her face,but prob her manner that people dislike more.
Did anyone mind what posters said about any other politician?
How Boris looks? Yes, a mess wasn’t he.
The manner of ReesMogg? A smug idiot.
You SNP supporters have to get used to stuff that’s said about your FM and not be so thin skinned about it.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 27-Nov-22 16:08:35

Thank you volver that’s what I think 👍

volver Sun 27-Nov-22 15:57:37

GrannyGravy13

Conservative MPs are called all sorts of unflattering nicknames are they fair game?

Sorry GG13, missed this.

The answer's no, of course not. It's pathetic.