Gransnet forums

News & politics

If Scotland is so wee,,poor and stupid ,why DO WM aka the ENGLISH parliament want so desperately to hold onto us

(302 Posts)
paddyann54 Sat 26-Nov-22 21:05:48

After all they dont EVER have a good word to say about us ...and that includes their unionist "SCOTS" who it seems are delighted to tell us that we cant do anything right

Answers on a postage stamp ...or a postcard if you can find a true reason

volver Tue 29-Nov-22 10:00:48

Bodach And you obviously mix with a better informed bunch of Scots than I do

Clearly.

It's still unfair to try to establish the idea in people's minds that SNP supporters rely on twisting historical events to try to support their cause. I guess there are people like that, just like the ones who made stuff up about France and Germany so they could get Brexit.

Most of us though, realise that Outlander is a figment of that US lady's imagination and don't have to rely on fiction to make a case for our political objectives.

I quite liked Braveheart. I knew it wasn't a documentary though.

MaizieD Mon 28-Nov-22 23:50:37

That's my understanding, Glorianny, but with Bodach saying that the Highland clans tended to be Catholic I was wondering if they connived at exiling Mary, or objected in any way. Or did they even realise what was going on...

Religious beliefs played such a key part in politics in Europe for a very long time. I think we tend to forget that these days.

Glorianny Mon 28-Nov-22 22:48:33

MaizieD

Bodach

MaizieD

^That would have come as a surprise to my ancestors, whose clan was fiercely anti-Jacobite,/

Well, that's something I didn't know about the Scottish. Why were they anti-Jacobite, Bodach? Were they staunch Protestants?
I've always thought that the Scottish support for the exiled Stuarts was strange in view of their strong Protestantism. Was it overridden by loyalty to the Stuart clan (the rightful heirs etc.)?

Most of the Gaidhealtachd (the north and west gaelic-speaking parts of Scotland) were Catholic, and hence supported the Jacobite Cause. However, although our lands were in the heart of Gaidhealtachd, my clan was Protestant - or at least a succession of our chiefs were, which came to the same thing. Not only did we resist Catholic-related causes in Scotland and England, but we also sent large bodies of clansmen to fight on the continent to fight for Protestant causes: most notably for Christian IV of Denmark and Gustavus Adophus of Sweden in the 30 Years War, and then for William of Orange. Sadly, these foreign adventures were financed by mortgaging the clan lands to less adventurous/more canny neighbours, and our support for the British government brought little material reward...

Thanks, Bodach.

As a matter of interest, going further back in time, did the Roman Catholic clans put up any protest, or fight, against the dethroning of Mary, Queen of Scots? I get the impression that it was orchestrated by the Lowland protestants... Or was 16th C Scottish politics rather tortuous?

Wasn't it John Knox and the protestant lords who exiled Mary and took over the care and upbringing of her son James, who went on to be Elizabeth's heir?

Bodach Mon 28-Nov-22 21:12:12

volver

It's very unfair and quite mistaken to link lack of knowledge of Scottish history with SNP supporters, and twists what I said. Some SNP supporters get it wrong, so do some people who aren't SNP supporters.

I was making the point that not everybody knows as much about Scotland as others, for perfectly valid reasons. You're trying to link SNP support with a lack of knowledge of historical fact.

Very transparent tactic, if I may say so. No Scot I know thinks the "other side" at Culloden were the English.

I'm sorry if you think I'm being unfair, volver, and I certainly didn't mean to imply that all SNP supporters were lacking in knowledge of Scottish history. Indeed, I gained my love of Scottish history from my late father, who was a friend of Kay Matheson (of Stone of Destiny fame), and who - many years ago, on the promise of a bottle of single malt as his fee - took part in a televised debate arguing the SNP cause in Gaelic. But I do object when I see SNP supporters spreading - or condoning the spread of - falsehoods about particular aspects of Scottish/English history. There's more than enough factual material we can argue about without going there. And you obviously mix with a better informed bunch of Scots than I do - if only on the matter of Culloden. Although... when I have challenged SNP-supporting acquaintances on the Culloden Scots vs English matter, it generally turns out that they actually know full well that that is a gross misrepresentation of the facts. But that's the way they choose to regard it, because it fits snugly into their perception of our nations' historical relationship: 'their truth', if you like.

MaizieD Mon 28-Nov-22 20:38:23

Bodach

MaizieD

^That would have come as a surprise to my ancestors, whose clan was fiercely anti-Jacobite,/

Well, that's something I didn't know about the Scottish. Why were they anti-Jacobite, Bodach? Were they staunch Protestants?
I've always thought that the Scottish support for the exiled Stuarts was strange in view of their strong Protestantism. Was it overridden by loyalty to the Stuart clan (the rightful heirs etc.)?

Most of the Gaidhealtachd (the north and west gaelic-speaking parts of Scotland) were Catholic, and hence supported the Jacobite Cause. However, although our lands were in the heart of Gaidhealtachd, my clan was Protestant - or at least a succession of our chiefs were, which came to the same thing. Not only did we resist Catholic-related causes in Scotland and England, but we also sent large bodies of clansmen to fight on the continent to fight for Protestant causes: most notably for Christian IV of Denmark and Gustavus Adophus of Sweden in the 30 Years War, and then for William of Orange. Sadly, these foreign adventures were financed by mortgaging the clan lands to less adventurous/more canny neighbours, and our support for the British government brought little material reward...

Thanks, Bodach.

As a matter of interest, going further back in time, did the Roman Catholic clans put up any protest, or fight, against the dethroning of Mary, Queen of Scots? I get the impression that it was orchestrated by the Lowland protestants... Or was 16th C Scottish politics rather tortuous?

Callistemon21 Mon 28-Nov-22 20:35:49

FannyC 😁
Although I must say, in this house, DH would be emptying the dishwasher and getting in my way as I cooked.

Bodach Mon 28-Nov-22 20:11:09

MaizieD

GrannyGravy13 Mon 28-Nov-22 16:48:48

MaizieD

Do your hard of hearing DHs shout at you because they don't realise how LOUDLY they are speaking?

YES

FannyCornforth Mon 28-Nov-22 16:39:08

Joke: (trigger alert: contains gender stereotyped behaviour)

Man goes to GP as he is concerned about his wife’s hearing loss.
The GP tells him to conduct a little test at home, involving distance.

At home, his finds his wife doing the washing up.
So standing behind her, at a distance of three metres, he asks her,
‘What’s for tea, love?’

No reply.

Then at a distance of 2 metres, he asks her again,
‘Love, what’s for tea?’

Again, no reply.

Then, standing just 1 metre away, getting more concerned,
he asks her again,

‘Sweetheart, what are we having for tea tonight?’

She turns around and replies,

‘For the third sodding time, Geoff, we’re having CHICKEN!’

Callistemon21 Mon 28-Nov-22 16:36:13

MaizieD

Do your hard of hearing DHs shout at you because they don't realise how LOUDLY they are speaking?

Yes, mine does. He worked in a noisy environment.

Although the GP says he has selective hearing.

Callistemon21 Mon 28-Nov-22 16:35:28

Did you copy and paste it, Callistemon?

Yes.
Duh!!

MaizieD Mon 28-Nov-22 16:34:44

MaizieD Mon 28-Nov-22 16:32:49

Callistemon21

Well, that didn't work, did it!
😂

Did you copy and paste it, Callistemon?

That'll be why it didn't work.

The one I get into a mess with is trying to embolden a section of italic script when it's at the end of a passage.

It all depends having a space between the * and the italics command.

So, it goes: full stop no space * space ^

(Just took me 10 minutes to work it out.. again... because my senior memory never remembers how to do it...☹ )

GrannyGravy13 Mon 28-Nov-22 16:32:04

Blimey what is it with men, DH is so hard of hearing, will not have a hearing test aargh!!!!!

I spend my entire day SHOUTING I give myself a headache 🤣🤬

FannyCornforth Mon 28-Nov-22 16:29:15

Oh yes, I have exactly the same thing.
‘There’s no need to be nasty…’

Callistemon21 Mon 28-Nov-22 16:25:51

I CAN HEAR YOU FANNYCORNFORTH!

I have to repeat everything to DH at ever-increasing volume then he says "No need to shout".

FannyCornforth Mon 28-Nov-22 16:24:43

sorry 🤐

MaizieD Mon 28-Nov-22 16:21:48

FannyCornforth

HELLO!

Oooh, don't shout, FannyC😱

FannyCornforth Mon 28-Nov-22 16:18:34

HELLO!

Callistemon21 Mon 28-Nov-22 16:17:25

Well, that didn't work, did it!
😂

Callistemon21 Mon 28-Nov-22 16:16:42

I use these to emphasise or for people's names
To quote someone you can use ^ ^

There is a list below
Bold: hello gives hello
Underline: hello gives hello
Italics: hello gives hello
Strikethrough: hello gives hello

Underline: hello gives hello
Not quite sure what that one's all about confused

VioletSky Mon 28-Nov-22 15:53:49

Ailsa lots of people use ot for emphasis not shouting

I think it's clear it's definitely not shouting when it is random words

I do not shouting random words or phrases on conversation.

Also, my other issue is that, if some use it for emphasis, are we taking it upon ourselves to re-educate the whole Internet?

Visually impared people sometimes type in capitals too

There just isn't any real reason to assume someone else had bad Internet manners

Ailsa43 Mon 28-Nov-22 15:22:24

VioletSky

It's weird that capitals somehow means shouting

Like, do people read it out loud?

I just assume it's emphasis

In regard to OP, I don't know

I'm not keen on English people either and I am one

When I want to make an emphasis, I put it in Italics... simply because in Internet Netiquette Capital letters are deemed to mean shouting, or anger

Callistemon21 Mon 28-Nov-22 14:32:02

I was wondering how the perfidious English Celts managed to float those rather large and solid stones across the Severn

DH assures me that they definitely didn't float them across the Severn so I reckon it must have been by road and the Severn Bridge. Perhaps that's why it's closed so often for repairs.
The sturdier Second Severn Crossing wasn't built then.

MaizieD Mon 28-Nov-22 13:39:25

I know this is a bonkers thread; really not the sort of thing we normally expect on News and Politics, but it is such a joy to come back to it with no idea which of its many strands the most recent posts are going to cover grin

(But let's not do it too often... please?)

I was wondering how the perfidious English Celts managed to float those rather large and solid stones across the Severn. Your explanation makes me wonder how on earth I could have missed the obvious solution, TerriBull.