Gransnet forums

News & politics

Nurses responsible for appeasing Putin

(41 Posts)
GagaJo Sun 04-Dec-22 12:25:24

Nadhim Zahawi has claimed nurses need to drop pay demands to help the UK present a united front against the Ukrainian war.

I know I'm not a Tory but... what lunacy will those plonkers come up with next?

ronib Thu 08-Dec-22 09:46:41

If anyone wants to expand their thinking on the topic of Ukraine, the website Conservative Woman has excellent articles on the subject.

Luckygirl3 Tue 06-Dec-22 18:25:26

It is in our political interests to help Ukraine to get back on its feet and defeat Putin, never mind the moral/humanitarian argument. If we do not, then Russia will continue to encroach on neighbouring countries and try and bring them under its regime. That is not in our interests.

As others have said, the chances of this government putting their resources into proper funding of services are zilch. They do not know what the word "service" means.

HousePlantQueen Tue 06-Dec-22 18:18:47

biglouis

*Why is this country involved in this war if it cannot operate key services for the people living here? It chooses to fund Ukraine and not the Nhs*

Agree100% Far too much of my tax money going into a bl***y black hole when there are people nearer home who need help. We should wish them well and pull out.

Do you honestly think that if Britain stopped supporting Ukraine financially that this Tory govt would use the money "saved" to improve pay for nurses, teachers etc? Really?

GagaJo Tue 06-Dec-22 17:40:04

Ilovecheese

I would say that a country that has working people needing to visit food banks is a country already "on its knees" and that is in no way the fault of anyone other than the government that has been in power for the last 12 years.

Such a common sense statement!

Whitewavemark2 Tue 06-Dec-22 16:35:44

Ilovecheese

I would say that a country that has working people needing to visit food banks is a country already "on its knees" and that is in no way the fault of anyone other than the government that has been in power for the last 12 years.

Absolutely!

Government policy over 12 years has crushed so many working people, and they are continuing to do so by such actions as refusing to allow the train operators to come to an agreement with the rail unions. The train operators were ready to settle last April, but the Tories stepped in and stopped them.

The nurses have now become the enemies by appeasing Putin. Short memories the government has got. They were clapping them not long ago.

varian Tue 06-Dec-22 16:23:47

Here here Ilovecheese

Ilovecheese Tue 06-Dec-22 14:16:24

Casdon Tue 06-Dec-22 11:21:28

Allsorts

A newly qualifued nurses badic salary is between 27k to 34k plus overtime, this increases yearly. Basic workers earn almost half of this, thats the shop worker, cleaner , hairdressers etc. All these strikes will bring this country to it's knees, when is enough enough.? Pensioners who rely on state pensions are
Way down in what they get. Our practise doctors are now an an ebdangered species , you cannot get to see one, know they still exist in the buildings somewhere, but rarely spotted. Heres the surprise, private practices have opened near here, with instant appointments for a fee.

£19.000 per annum for 39 hours per week is now the national minimum wage Allsorts, that’s not half of £27,000. To earn the minimum wage you need a job, but no qualifications whatsoever, compared with nurses who are qualified to degree level and do a highly complex job. It’s far more appropriate to compare nurses salaries to degree level employees in the private sector.

ronib Tue 06-Dec-22 10:33:06

Allsorts basic salary of £27k sounds a living wage in say Yorkshire but not in the south east. In the 1950s student nurses were housed in accommodation next to the hospital at affordable rents and unencumbered by a monthly student loan repayment scheme.

Childminders charge around £6.50 per hour per child although nurses may have some flexibility in working at weekends or evenings? Rents and mortgages again are more expensive around London. I think there’s a complicated system of tax credits for working families but I don’t know if nurses qualify. I guess that shop workers, hairdressers and cleaners may have some entitlement?

Yes, it’s true that pensions are amongst the lowest in Europe and again payments are increased with additional attendance allowances etc. Feels overly bureaucratic!

Callistemon21 Mon 05-Dec-22 22:59:41

Dinahmo

It's interesting how Zahawi's claim about the nurses pay demands and Putin has come to the public attention. He slipped it in very quietly when being interviewed by Laura Keunssberg on Sunday.

It's just such an odd thing to say.

What is he thinking? 🤔

Allsorts Mon 05-Dec-22 22:58:03

A newly qualifued nurses badic salary is between 27k to 34k plus overtime, this increases yearly. Basic workers earn almost half of this, thats the shop worker, cleaner , hairdressers etc. All these strikes will bring this country to it's knees, when is enough enough.? Pensioners who rely on state pensions are
Way down in what they get. Our practise doctors are now an an ebdangered species , you cannot get to see one, know they still exist in the buildings somewhere, but rarely spotted. Heres the surprise, private practices have opened near here, with instant appointments for a fee.

Dinahmo Mon 05-Dec-22 22:40:56

It's interesting how Zahawi's claim about the nurses pay demands and Putin has come to the public attention. He slipped it in very quietly when being interviewed by Laura Keunssberg on Sunday.

GagaJo Mon 05-Dec-22 21:31:47

If they got the money back from Michele Mone and her ilk, it'd be enough to pay the nurses.

Isn't it amazing that not a single Tory solution involves the robbing bast**ds giving back the money they stole?

Happygirl79 Mon 05-Dec-22 14:19:55

Nothing surprises me about the Conservative government anymore.
Rich self indulgent individuals giving unneeded and shockingly ignorant advice to the poorest and most hardworking of society

Dinahmo Mon 05-Dec-22 13:58:58

The then Tory govt promised £350 million per week to the NHS. What happened to that promise?

Dinahmo Mon 05-Dec-22 13:57:53

Witzend

*ronib*, whatever else I may think of Boris - mostly unprintable - I’m glad that he was quick to support Ukraine on our behalf.

He was just trying to grab headlines by being the first to visit. But he wasn't.

PMs from Poland, Slovenia and the Czech Republic went on 15 March and the Presidents of Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland went on 13 April. Johnson squeezed in on 9 April.

varian Mon 05-Dec-22 10:52:43

It is ludicrous and insulting to suggest Vladimir Putin is responsible for nurses going on strike.

Conservatives wasted billions of taxpayers' money on dodgy PPE contracts and now are refusing to offer a fair pay rise to nurses.

twitter.com/LibDems/status/1599448996896215041?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

varian Mon 05-Dec-22 10:50:25

The nurses are not responsible for "appeasing Putin"

No group of British workers are or ever have been responsible for "appeasing Putin"

However the lying Leave campaigners were responsible for appeasing Putin. Putin backed brexit and there is no doubt that Russia's interference in our politics has helped create the mess we're in, which of course Leavers like Zahawi will never acknowledge.

Cold Mon 05-Dec-22 10:43:38

MaizieD

Thread heading is absolutely fine, GagaJo.

It illustrates the level of tory mendacity and idiocy that we have to put up with.

There is absolutely no sound economic reason why we can't pay our workers properly and support Ukraine.

It's actually a rather rich statement coming from a former minister in a government run by a party that has thrived on donations from Russian oligarchs, ennobled the son of a KGB spy, covered up the extent of Russian interference in the 2016 referendum and gave the oligarchs enough warning of sanctions after the Russian invasion of Ukraine for them to remove as many of their assets as they could from the UK.

👿

I agree with this

Especially as the Tories were selling British Citizenship to wealthy Putin-crony oligarchs a few years ago on the much derided Golden Visa scheme on the basis they were "investors" rather than the reality of being money launders

Kalu Mon 05-Dec-22 10:41:56

Callistemon21

Kalu

He would soon change his tune if he worked on the wards for a month without his wealth to fall back on. The man is all mouth and no trousers. 😡

👏👏👏

I'm (nearly) speechless

Or send him to the front line in Ukraine.

That too Calli. He is a bl**dy hypocrite.

biglouis Mon 05-Dec-22 10:41:44

Why is this country involved in this war if it cannot operate key services for the people living here? It chooses to fund Ukraine and not the Nhs

Agree100% Far too much of my tax money going into a bl***y black hole when there are people nearer home who need help. We should wish them well and pull out.

ronib Mon 05-Dec-22 10:39:35

Kalu

He would soon change his tune if he worked on the wards for a month without his wealth to fall back on. The man is all mouth and no trousers. 😡

Zahawi could benefit from work experience for two weeks in a local hospital.

Callistemon21 Mon 05-Dec-22 10:36:39

Kalu

👏👏👏

I'm (nearly) speechless

Or send him to the front line in Ukraine.

Kalu Mon 05-Dec-22 10:24:57

Elegran Mon 05-Dec-22 10:23:33

Rubbish. The Uk paying their nurses enough (or not) doesn't bother Putin. He would laugh at the thought, he does what he can get away with doing

I wonder how his health is now, incidentally? Is he well enough recovered to stop feeling that he has only a limited time to get in all his conquering and empire building?