Gransnet forums

News & politics

Cutting down energy use- what is happening around you?

(122 Posts)
Fleurpepper Wed 07-Dec-22 12:34:53

What are you personally doing to cut down on energy use?

But more importantly, what is your Council and Government, Business, etc, doing to cut down and show an example to all?

JaneJudge Sun 05-Feb-23 12:09:00

plus you are an antique dealer (I think?) so you are taking part in sustainability smile

biglouis Sun 05-Feb-23 12:06:42

My home is my workplace so my office and living rooms are properly heated to about 22. I dont have any heating on in the bedroom or stockroom. I dont drive a car and have never produced any children so my carbon footprint is low.

JaneJudge Sun 05-Feb-23 11:58:13

crazyh, if it helps I am having similarly HIGH bills and I don't understand why. My electric is £235 a month, just electric and we are all out at work during the day
Oil I pay separately for (£150 pm)

I refuse to not put on my heating as my workplace isn't heated and I have to layer up in thermals and it is bloody miserable and we are all cold. They have a policy now where we all have to be there at the same time so the minimum electric is used and we walk around in the dark. They have none of these policies in place in their nice warm office, it's just in the warehouse hmm

crazyH Sun 05-Feb-23 11:51:28

Scottish power has more than doubled my DD to £392 per month. I’ve unplugged my Oven, microwave, kettle, TV, Toaster etc when not in use. I believe just keeping them plugged in takes up electric.

Grantanow Fri 30-Dec-22 10:58:33

Monbiot wrote a self-shaming article in the Grauniad recently saying woodburning stoves are a no-no.

MerylStreep Wed 28-Dec-22 21:58:49

MayBee70
Why didn’t you close all the gaps by sticking the tape in a continuous line. Looking at your photo you can see that a lot of cold air is coming in.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 28-Dec-22 13:54:04

I drink a lot of tea -sometimes ten cups a day, so every other time I put any excess water from the kettle into a flask for the next cup. I have to put a certain amount of water in the kettle anyway in order to get it to not cut out if you see what I mean.

I put the heating on less and use a heated throw on my chair which gets nice and toasty. Mind you, the bedroom is like an ice box at bedtime. Still, I have a roof over my head, food in my belly and clothes on my back, as the saying goes.

Fleurpepper Wed 28-Dec-22 13:46:22

MayBeee 70- we have fitted some flexible silver reflectors behind all the main radiators. Seems it is helping quite a bit.

nanna8 Wed 28-Dec-22 10:42:39

It all sounds dire . I am glad it is Summer here and we no longer need heating though yesterday was 37C and we did put the aircon on for a while. It is lovely that the washing dries really quickly now and we don’t have to have damp washing draped round the house and/ or use the dryer. No one here has cut back on anything really but give it time and bigger bills.

ClintWong Wed 28-Dec-22 05:05:20

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

MayBee70 Wed 14-Dec-22 22:25:36

I’ve realised that I have a lot of stuff in front of radiators eg in the living room the sofa is in front of the main radiator so I’ve moved everything away even though it looks messy.

Nandalot Tue 13-Dec-22 23:36:27

Last winter we would have had our heating on in early morning and then in the late afternoon, evening. This year I have tried keeping it all day but at a reduced temperature and thermostats down on all rooms except main living room. I think it has proved more effective as the fan for the boiler is coming on much less frequently. The air is warm enough to save me feeling asthmatic and I use a throw when sitting.

Norah Tue 13-Dec-22 23:28:33

Hetty58

Norah, my friend uses the large-size bubble wrap on her (single glazed windows. She just sprays the glass with a little water and it stays stuck on!

I'm washing my hair less often now - as I'm always wearing a knitted hat anyway.

Hetty58, The thick clear plastic was indeed applied inside all the windows in my husband's business buildings.

Light still comes inside. I hear there are less chilled areas.

Quokka Tue 13-Dec-22 23:28:24

Well looking down our Avenue at those few houses whose roofs are snow free, I think they either haven’t heard of loft insulation or are growing cannabis in the loft!

biglouis Tue 13-Dec-22 22:37:45

My contribution to saving energy is that if anyone rings the door bell I tell them "Sorry I am not opening the door and letting the cold air in. You will need to try another house." Unless they are delivering a parcel.

Conversations tend to be short as they are standing outside freezing and I am inside under a blanket.

mokryna Tue 13-Dec-22 22:22:03

Martin Lewis’ latest weekly money tips has just arrived online, 13 Dec. Basically reminding people how to save energy and stay warm with thermals, electric blankets & more, giving prices. It is repeating what many are practicing but it is nice to know what we are doing is economical.

MayBee70 Tue 13-Dec-22 20:12:13

My porch has really thin glass and there are gaps round the door. And the front door is mostly glass which isn’t double glazed. You can feel the cold coming through it. I need a new door but can’t seem to find someone I trust to fit it. So, this is what I’ve done. I saved this bubble wrap from some shelves I had delivered because I read that if you cover a door or window with it it provides insulation. Good job I don’t have any visitors isn’t it. Or that the dog is no longer a puppy because she would have had a field day. If it seems to help I’ll buy a roll of bubble wrap which will look a bit neater! ( it’s a bit of a long story in that I can’t have a new porch until I have a new garage roof and the door frame has all sorts of wires attached to it…). And I’ve put some old thermal curtain liners up in the computer room which only had Venetian blinds. No heating in rooms that aren’t being used and all doors kept shut. Fill a flask with any excess boiled water. I’m wearing several layers of clothes plus a hat. And have a couple of hot water bottles. And the dog. Whippets used to sleep with children to keep them warm. She makes a wonderful hot water bottle.

M0nica Tue 13-Dec-22 18:06:59

Caleo you cannot expect everyone to be as sensible as you.

Forsythia Tue 13-Dec-22 16:08:25

We have put thick thermal curtains up everywhere and they’ve made a very big difference to keeping our house warmer. Yes, there’s the initial outlay but I believe they will pay for themselves in no time.

Jodieb Tue 13-Dec-22 16:04:54

If you have a charging vacuum it can be turned off. It lasts a good while. I measure cup/s of water for the kettle. Boils much quicker.

mokryna Mon 12-Dec-22 13:08:15

Skydancer

Just bought a heated gilet - brilliant. Battery gets charged then put in the pocket. Heat lasts for hours.

Can you say what make please Skydancer thanks.

Caleo Mon 12-Dec-22 12:49:18

MOnica, I am 91 and frail and was brought to the surgery by my son in his car. I wore a padded parka and warm trouser linings. I and My son would have been unhappy if I had gone outdoors without a coat of some sort.

If the staff at the surgery dressed for the energy crisis they would at least have cardigans on!

Skydancer Sun 11-Dec-22 18:24:41

Just bought a heated gilet - brilliant. Battery gets charged then put in the pocket. Heat lasts for hours.

M0nica Sun 11-Dec-22 18:12:49

Caleo Many old and frail patients are brought to their GP's surgery by car so that they do not have to be outside in the freezing cold and could not walk there anyway. Such people are unlikely to be dressed up as you describe, some would be unable to walk at all dressed as you were. They are also likely to feel the cold and need to be in space with a temperature of 21c

That is why your surgery heating was set at a temperature that you found uncomfortably hot.

Caleo Sat 10-Dec-22 11:47:56

I visited my GP surgery yesterday. I had clothed myself for cold frosty weather with quilted parka , warm trouser linings and so forth.

The surgery was so hot that receptionists and the practitioner nurse I met were wearing summer weight clothing, while the poor patients had to wear their cold weather gear, in the waiting room and consulting room.