Gransnet forums

News & politics

Breaking News. an armed 'met' policer officer. guilty of rapes

(125 Posts)
lemsip Mon 16-Jan-23 12:24:12

A Met Police diplomatic protection officer today admitted to being a serial sex attacker guilty of 24 rapes over nearly 20 years serving with the force.

David Carrick, 48, who was known to his colleagues as 'Bastard Dave' pleaded guilty to a total of 49 offences against 12 women between 2003 and 2020.

The Met has apologised to victims after it emerged Carrick came to the attention of police over nine incidents including allegations of rape, domestic violence, and harassment between 2000 and 2021.

BBc News

MerylStreep Mon 16-Jan-23 21:48:45

The Met has always been rotten to the core. The only difference now,is, it’s getting more difficult to cover it up.

25Avalon Mon 16-Jan-23 21:50:24

Lock him up and throw away the key. Then investigate if not doing already why complaints weren’t listened to.

Wyllow3 Mon 16-Jan-23 21:58:31

How could she allow it to happen as a woman? Were there some pretty pressures on her as a (gay) woman to back down on it? Ie the pressure to prove she was "one of the tough guys? I don't expect we'll ever know.

Callistemon21 Mon 16-Jan-23 22:30:54

The Metropolitan Police should be broken up, disbanded. It is too large, too cumbersome and there is obviously no accountability.

It needs to be separated into smaller, regional Police Forces.

Sadiq Khan is Police and Crime Commissioner for the capital, apart from the City of London, and he needs to act as a matter of urgency.

If we feel we can't trust the police then who can we trust?

LauraNorderr Mon 16-Jan-23 22:51:07

The Met is totally corrupt and rotten to the core.
The culture is misogynistic, aggressive and nasty.
Decent Police Officers are driven out if they try to clean up from within.
Those who are left weaken public trust which endangers the rest of the service.
The Met should be disbanded. Independent direct lines should be set up for complainants and whistle blowers throughout the service to access safely. Civilian boards should be given powers to investigate complaints with impunity.

HousePlantQueen Mon 16-Jan-23 23:00:16

MerylStreep

The Met has always been rotten to the core. The only difference now,is, it’s getting more difficult to cover it up.

My late father was an officer in the Met and I deeply resent your comment

Allsorts Tue 17-Jan-23 05:34:15

I cannot get my head round this, what an absolute excuse for a man. How do such people,get into the police,,frightening, I worry about my lovely granddaughters, bought up to trust police. Hooe he has a hard time inside and doesn't come out, he won't be so hard inside.

nanna8 Tue 17-Jan-23 06:08:32

Wow, 20 years! Something's crook in the MET for sure. Tell me they didn't suspect anything in all that time. They must have either shrugged it off or covered up for the pig.

fancythat Tue 17-Jan-23 06:49:54

HousePlantQueen

MerylStreep

My late father was an officer in the Met and I deeply resent your comment

I wasnt too chuffed either.
I used to have a relative in it. He has never been known to bring harm to anyone whatsoever.

fancythat Tue 17-Jan-23 06:51:45

LauraNorderr

The Met should be disbanded. Independent direct lines should be set up for complainants and whistle blowers throughout the service to access safely. Civilian boards should be given powers to investigate complaints with impunity.

Same to this lady.
"The Met is totally corrupt and rotten to the core".

So some think literally everyone acts the same? And always have?

Words matter.

fancythat Tue 17-Jan-23 06:53:27

Not that I dont doubt that there are more police within it who have acted like or a bit like the person who is guilty.
But to label absolutely all, well that really isnt quite good enough, or 100% accurate.

Galaxy Tue 17-Jan-23 06:55:47

I think there comes a time when the culture of an organisation has reached a tipping point.

Urmstongran Tue 17-Jan-23 06:57:18

From the Telegraph this morning:

“David Carrick, who joined the Met in 2001, has pleaded guilty to 49 charges against 12 victims, covering a total of 85 separate offences, making him one of Britain’s most prolific rapists.

He used his position as a police officer to gain the trust of his victims, sometimes flashing his warrant card and telling them they would be “safe” with him.

Most recently he served as an armed officer protecting Parliament and MPs, and the force has acknowledged there were nine potential opportunities to catch him that were missed.

These included that Carrick was arrested on suspicion of rape three months before he was eventually charged, shortly after Wayne Couzens admitted the rape and murder of Sarah Everard, but was never suspended from the force.

Carrick also missed vital vetting checks but then passed with flying colours despite having numerous red flags against his name.”

I find your comments carry great weight LauraNorder and definitely trust your judgement and that of Orlin. It’s just shocking isn’t it?

Riverwalk Tue 17-Jan-23 07:07:52

Did anyone see this interview with Sir Mark Rowley?

He looks and sounds so bloody pathetic - makes me so angry that we have such inadequate leaders of major institutions.

Have a look, it's only 2 minutes long.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-64293158

VioletSky Tue 17-Jan-23 07:28:44

The news this morning says 1000 police officers accused of domestic violence or sex offences will have their cases reviewed.

It seems an attractive job to a lot of abusive men which is odd as I'd assume most would want the job to do good.

I remember reading about serial killers once and a few were obsessed with the police and there have been several serial killers who were actually in police forces

GrannyGravy13 Tue 17-Jan-23 07:35:27

There were approximately 34,500 Met police in 2022 the commissioner has said this morning that 800 are under investigation, which is approximately 4% of the force.

dragonfly46 Tue 17-Jan-23 07:49:18

LauraNorderr

Thank you GG13 that rather puts it into perspective.
I wonder if the sweeping statement made above is based on fact, personal knowledge or what has been read in the newspapers.

Riverwalk Tue 17-Jan-23 07:52:03

How many of the 34,00 Met officers are women?

Women are not often accused of sexual crimes, compared to men.

dragonfly46 Tue 17-Jan-23 07:55:34

Over 10,000 Riverwalk around 30% and the aim is to get it up to 50%.

MerylStreep Tue 17-Jan-23 08:13:07

Fancythat & Houseplantqueen
You keep your rose coloured spectacles on. Believe me, it’s a far nicer place to be than knowing the truth.

MerylStreep Tue 17-Jan-23 08:14:09

Dragonfly
All my comments are based on personal experience.

Iam64 Tue 17-Jan-23 08:26:20

I share the concerns about the culture in the met. We’ve seen Wayne Cousins, the two officers photographing the murdered sisters, the mishandling of the Sarah Everett event and now this horror. The men involved have all been shown during their service to share racist/misogynistic views. There has to be a culture where this is acceptable or it would be hidden - it’s not

MerylStreep Tue 17-Jan-23 08:35:35

I’ve just watched an interview with a young lady who was thrown the ground and arrested while attending the Sarah Everard vigil.
If some posters think my comments were uncalled for good job they didn’t hear hers.
They would certainly have brought on a touch of the vapours.

Rosie51 Tue 17-Jan-23 08:44:25

MerylStreep

Dragonfly
All my comments are based on personal experience.

Wow, so you've encountered every Met officer, including my honest, caring, hardworking son? He will say there are rotten apples to be dealt with and is as frustrated and angry as anyone, but blanket incorrect accusation helps nobody.

I have personal experience of a predatory male teacher when I was at school so what may I reliably infer from that experience?

GrannyGravy13 Tue 17-Jan-23 08:50:50

We have two met police officers in our extended family, one male and one female.

Unfortunately there are bad apples in every barrel and they need to be rooted out and dealt with.

Not every Met officer is a bad apple