Gransnet forums

News & politics

Nottingham Health Trust fined

(11 Posts)
Rosie51 Fri 27-Jan-23 11:17:44

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-64422598?at_link_type=web_link&at_campaign=Social_Flow&at_campaign_type=owned&at_medium=social&at_format=link&at_link_origin=BBCBreaking&at_link_id=4418249C-9E32-11ED-AB79-6C0E933C408C&at_ptr_name=twitter&at_bbc_team=editorial

Sorry for the long link I don't know how to shorten them.

Surely there has to be a better way to punish the trust than a huge fine that will only further impact patient care? I admit I don't have any answers but it just seems so wrong to decrease the money available for actual medical services.

growstuff Fri 27-Jan-23 11:30:29

I agree. I've never been able to understand the logic of fining public services for neglect, etc because it takes money away from providing services to others. Certainly, there should be compensation and some form of punishment for those involved, although that just encourages people to close ranks and not admit to mistakes, so improvements can't be made.

I don't know the answer either.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 27-Jan-23 12:26:40

They have insurance.

Rosie51 Fri 27-Jan-23 13:01:44

Germanshepherdsmum

They have insurance.

However, District Judge Grace Leong said she was "acutely aware" the fine would be paid for by funding that would usually be used for patient care. quoted from the article. Is she wrong? Rather worrying if she doesn't know the full situation. I assume that even if they do have insurance the premiums will rocket after such a claim? They certainly do if you have a huge car insurance claim.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 27-Jan-23 14:10:56

There is a body called NHS Resolution which deals with claims. It acts as an insurer. Each NHS Trust pays premiums as you would to an ordinary insurance company.

Cabbie21 Fri 27-Jan-23 14:54:41

Thank you GSM for that information.
I was thinking that this fine does not make sense, if it reduces money available for patient care. Given the number of infant deaths and poor treatment at this Maternity centre, I guess there may be more fines, but there must be reform, not just fines.

Rosie51 Fri 27-Jan-23 16:54:12

Germanshepherdsmum

There is a body called NHS Resolution which deals with claims. It acts as an insurer. Each NHS Trust pays premiums as you would to an ordinary insurance company.

Thanks GSM, that's better to know that Trust won't be struggling on even meaner resources.
As an aside, does anybody know what happens to fines like this? Do they just get directed into government funds? If so I'd hope they'd be immediately redirected back into some aspect of health care.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 27-Jan-23 17:05:34

Yes they do.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 27-Jan-23 17:07:20

Sorry, I meant yes the fine goes into government funds.

Grantanow Tue 31-Jan-23 15:12:23

Presumably NHS Resolution does not pay out on every claim by an NHS Trust. Surely they assess claims as any insurer does.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 31-Jan-23 15:50:28

Indeed.